Join Us

We are 218,145 members in 84 forums discussing 160,921 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: question about tooth extraction, fosamax, antibiotic

Forum: Bone Health and Bone Loss —

Talk with others about bone density, osteopenia and osteoporosis, and ways to keep your bones strong

Posted on: Feb 29, 2016 03:50PM

CanadaGirl wrote:

Hi everyone, i am new to this board, so not sure where to post my question. I'm glad I found this discussion board as there are a great deal of informations. I had a mastectomy, chemo, herceptin, radiation, reconstruction with implant, femara and 5 years of fosamax, I am schedule to start prolia soon but need to have an extraction first as I have a loose tooth, pain and probably broken also. (oral surgeon recommend the extraction prior to start prolia as I already had root canaled) I had numerous dental problems for the past few years, more likely due to chemo and fosamax. My oral surgeon does not recommend that I take prophylactic antibiotic as I had some a couple of times this year and also because I do not have infection. He said it is not good for me as my system can get use to and the day that I will need the antibiotic then it might be ineffective.

so my questions are:

• is there anyone on the board who had an extraction without taking antibiotic and is it safe?
  • does having an implant is risky to have an extraction without antibiotic?
  • I stopped the fosamax 2 years ago, so is there anyone who had an extraction shortly after stopping fosamax.?

I am quite nervous and confused about the extraction and antibiotic, I am scare not to take the antibiotic and also to take it as I do not want to make more harm than good.

please share your experience or your thought, I need some advice from you girls. Thanks

CanadaGirl

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)

Posts 1 - 2 (2 total)

Feb 29, 2016 07:52PM Moderators wrote:

Hi CanadaGirl-

Welcome to BCO! There is another thread in this forum that addresses a couple of the questions you have; it hasn't been updated in a few months, but there's some good information there, and the contributing members are all active so you could reach out to them privately if you have questions. You can find that thread here: https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/120/topic....

Hope this helps! And good luck with the extraction!

The Mods

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Mar 2, 2016 12:35PM Moderators wrote:

Bumping for CanadaGirl. Does anyone else have some insight?

Thanks!

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)