Join Us

We are 218,145 members in 84 forums discussing 160,921 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: WebMD: Soy Protein May Protect Against Osteoporosis

Forum: Bone Health and Bone Loss —

Talk with others about bone density, osteopenia and osteoporosis, and ways to keep your bones strong

Posted on: Nov 20, 2017 02:09PM

peggy_j wrote:

Soy Protein May Protect Against Osteoporosis

https://www.webmd.com/osteoporosis/news/20151102/s...

(FWIW, I'm vegetarian but cut down on my soy intake after my BC Dx. I wonder if that was/is a mistake. My MO said to not eat soy protein concentrate (like in power bars) but says eating a couple of servings of soy a week is ok. Thoughts?

Dx 2/2011, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)

Posts 1 - 3 (3 total)

Nov 20, 2017 03:57PM Hopeful82014 wrote:

I've pretty much avoided soy in almost any form for years - long before the cancer diagnosis. I know there are studies showing that Japanese women have lower rates of b.c. but I also have to wonder how pesticide and GMO usage on soy consumed overseas compares to what we have available. The short answer is that I'm still not convinced of the healthfulness of soy and would rather double up on other bone care efforts than mess around with the unknowns of soy. But to each their own...

Dx IDC

Dec 7, 2017 11:57AM moth wrote:

Interesting. Thx for posting. I'm long time vegetarian, and vegan for >5 years. I consume soy.

Have you seen this recent study about factors affecting recurrence? "Soy products have not been found to increase breast cancer recurrence and may actually reduce it."

Lifestyle modifications for patients with breast cancer to improve prognosis and optimize overall health

Julia Hamer & Ellen Warner

CMAJ February 21, 2017 189 (7)

From what I see North American soy for human consumption is gmo free; there are also organic soy products available.

(& fwiw, most of the soy grown in North America is actually fed to animals which end up on North American plates)

Re the story you linked peggyj, I think I found the actual journal article which followed that preliminary presentation at a conference. It's quite a bit more nuanced as they were researching specifically the difference between soy and soy+isoflavone. They did see a benefit of soy + isoflavone in increasing bone turnover (& some other benefits) but also noted some issues with thyroid function.

Soy Reduces Bone Turnover Markers in Women During Early Menopause: A Randomized Controlled Trial

lead author: Sathyapalan T; J Bone Miner Res. 2017 Jan;32(1):157-164

(sorry can't post links yet as I'm too new to the board)

Initial dx at 50. Seriously???? “Sometimes the future changes quickly and completely and we’re left with only the choice of what to do next." blog: nevertellmetheodds2017.tumblr.... Dx 12/2017, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 12/12/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 2/14/2018 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 8/13/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Dx 2/2020, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to liver/lungs, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 3/18/2020 Taxol (paclitaxel) Immunotherapy 3/18/2020 Tecentriq (atezolizumab)

Dec 7, 2017 07:22PM Denise-G wrote:

My very amazing medical team at an NCI Designated cancer center only warned me about one thing...

DO NOT EAT Soy Protein Isolate. It is in many things! I avoid it like the plague. Before I was diagnosed I was on

a medically supervised diet that pushed soy protein shakes. I drank them by the hundreds. Guess what it contained - soy protein isolate. My tumor was huge. I always feel that contributed to its growth.

www.denise4health.wordpress.com my BC Blog with over 200 informative posts about all aspects of BC - stop by! Myself, my mom, and sister were all diagnosed with BC within 3 years. What a ride! Dx 10/10/2011, IDC, Left, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 9/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Surgery 11/22/2011 Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left Chemotherapy 12/26/2011 AC + T (Taxol) Targeted Therapy 2/27/2012 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Hormonal Therapy 10/10/2012 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)