Join Us

We are 218,145 members in 84 forums discussing 160,921 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Weighted vest?

Forum: Bone Health and Bone Loss —

Talk with others about bone density, osteopenia and osteoporosis, and ways to keep your bones strong

Posted on: May 23, 2018 05:34AM

NicolaSue wrote:

Just new on this thread as I'm dealing with significant bone loss in a short space of time.

I see a year or so back someone raised the idea of a weighted vest while walking/running. Has anyone come to a conclusion about it's value? I'm quite attracted to it but I had a thyroidectomy and take synthetic thyroid hormones. I have limited energy. When I do weight bearing exercise in the gym it literally does me in for the day. I can't imagine how I would survive using a weight bearing vest!

However - if it has an effect on done density it would be worth it.

LCIS diagnosed Spring 2017. Vacuum excision biopsy. First follow up mammo 2018 - clear

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)

Posts 1 - 5 (5 total)

May 23, 2018 12:26PM Lula73 wrote:

I haven’t done it, but it is often used in weight loss treatment to increase the number of calories burned. You wouldn’t necessarily have to wear it justvwhen you exercise...that may be too much for you since you’re already done in after. But you could wear it just everyday like you put on your shirt in the morning. You’re still helping the problem.

-Lula Dx 1/2017, DCIS/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 2/14/2017 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic ovary removal; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap Hormonal Therapy 3/3/2017 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 11/1/2017 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 1/3/2018 Femara (letrozole)

May 24, 2018 08:14AM NicolaSue wrote:

If bones are weak, I guess there is a (small) chance that a weighted vest could do more harm than good. What do you think? Anyone here actually worn one?

LCIS diagnosed Spring 2017. Vacuum excision biopsy. First follow up mammo 2018 - clear

Jun 15, 2018 11:17PM peggy_j wrote:

Do you have perfect posture? If not, it seems like a weighted vest could create problems. If you're not sure, it might be worth getting evaluated by phyical therapist.

The reason I ask, is that I threw out my back last fall doing yard work. My PCP referred me to a PT who has helped to fine tune how I walk, stand, sit, etc. At a minimum, developing your muscles and having correct posture, will help the muscles do their job to reduce the risk to the bone.

Dx 2/2011, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 17, 2018 01:58AM ShetlandPony wrote:

Nicola, I might be wary of straining my joints and tiring myself out with a weighted vest, but I do have another suggestion. I also have limited energy, and have found yoga to be very doable. If you search the internet for "yoga" along with "bone" or "osteoporosis" you will find that there is a particular set of yoga poses that can help with bone strength. Do find a qualified yoga instructor to show you how to do them correctly, and more importantly, how to adapt them to your own issues and levels of energy, strength, and flexibility. Bonus benefit is a calmer mind!

2011 Stage I ILC 1.5cm grade1 ITCs sn Lumpectomy,radiation,tamoxifen. 2014 Stage IV ILC mets breast,liver. TaxolNEAD. Ibrance+letrozole 2yrs. Fas+afinitor nope. XelodaNEAD 2yrs. Eribulin,Doxil nope. SUMMIT FaslodexHerceptinNeratinib for Her2mut NEAD

Jun 19, 2018 12:33PM NicolaSue wrote:

I think I've gone off the idea of a weighted vest. I had a thyroidectomy a few years ago and it's synthetic thyroid that keeps me going. It's hard enough as it is to get to the gym and I often sit in the car park for 30 mins before mustering the energy to go and exercise. Quite how I would do it with a weighted vest on I don't know!

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)