We are 222,922 members in 82 forums discussing 156,988 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Prolia vs Reclast

Forum: Bone Health and Bone Loss — Talk with others about bone density, osteopenia and osteoporosis, and ways to keep your bones strong

Posted on: Aug 7, 2019 09:50AM

azrescue wrote:

I am 3 years out since my BC diagnosis. I have been dx'd with osteoporosis. I have already fractured 3 ribs while working out. The dr had me on Fosamax but the GI side effects finally caused me to just quit taking it. And I had a hard time remembering when to take it. So, she has now recommended Reclast. However, I have heard from others that they were down for about a week after the infusion and compared it to chemo. Others seem to have had good results with Prolia. My dr says she is open to that one as well and will get me setup for either. I know that they all have their risks and side effects. I'm just looking for others experiences.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 1 (7 results)

Posts 1 - 7 (7 total)

Aug 7, 2019 03:39PM LeesaD wrote:

I have not had Reclast so can’t comment on that. I get the Prolia shot every six months. I just had my fourth shot last week. Easy and my endocrinologist gives me the shot during our six month exam. No side effects that I can tell so far. Probably the easiest medication I’ve had throughout all of this.
Oncotype Score 3, 2/4 Sentinal Nodes micromestasis so pushed for ALND for 'peace of Mind' and surprise found 2/14 positive axillary nodes Dx 2/3/2017, IDC, Right, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 4/18 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/27/2017 Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 4/17/2017 Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary Chemotherapy 5/9/2017 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 8/2/2017 Hormonal Therapy 9/7/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole), Zoladex (goserelin) Surgery 11/17/2017 Prophylactic ovary removal Surgery 1/30/2018 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting, Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Silicone implant

Aug 7, 2019 04:09PM marijen wrote:

I have had Reclast three times, three years in a row. No side effects, no down time and I felt better afterwards. Bone density went up each time too. Just don’t have a tooth extracted or major dental work too close before or after the infusion.

Sep 7, 2019 12:09PM azrescue wrote:

Thank You both for the replies. I'm set to have the Prolia injection in a couple weeks.

Sep 7, 2019 02:12PM edj3 wrote:

I get my first Prolia shot next Friday. I'm curious to see what, if any, side effects I end up experiencing. A couple of weeks after that, I'll start the tamoxifen.

Dx 4/9/2019, DCIS/IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 5/5/2019 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Dx 5/6/2019, LCIS, Left, <1cm, 0/1 nodes Radiation Therapy 5/31/2019 Whole-breast: Breast

Sep 7, 2019 03:51PM GlobalGal wrote:

I had severe osteoporosis in 2017 and had a one-time Reclast infusion, which improved my bones to osteopenia.

I had no side effects from the Reclast infusion.

De novo stage IV metastatic breast cancer with metastases to 3 central lymph nodes in neck following complete thyroidectomy for papillary thyroid cancer WITH NO PRIMARY BREAST CANCER IDENTIFIED and NO OTHER METS (so far) Dx 3/20/2019, Stage IV, metastasized to other, ER+/PR+ Hormonal Therapy 6/4/2019

Sep 8, 2019 12:39PM Whatjusthappened wrote:

I had my first Prolia injection about a month and a half ago. I did have some bone pain initially, but it subsided after a week or two.

BRCA2 positive; multifocal LCIS/ILC found after sugery Dx 2/1/2019, LCIS/ILC, Right, 4cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 1/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 2/22/2019 Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 4/23/2019 External: Lymph nodes, Chest wall Surgery 6/17/2019 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)

Sep 15, 2019 10:12AM wallycat wrote:

DH has had the xgeva (which is renamed for prostate cancer mets but is really prolia) every month for 3 months and so far, no side effects.

Dx 4/07 1 month before turning 50; ILC 1.8cm, ER+/PR+, HER2 neg., Stage 1, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes. Onco score 20, Bilateral Mast., tamoxifen 3-1/2 years, arimidex-completed 4/20/2012

Page 1 of 1 (7 results)