We are 224,420 members in 82 forums discussing 157,745 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: CALCIUM

Forum: Bone Health and Bone Loss — Talk with others about bone density, osteopenia and osteoporosis, and ways to keep your bones strong

Posted on: Nov 3, 2019 04:53PM - edited Nov 3, 2019 07:44PM by JO-5

JO-5 wrote:

I don't know where to post this and don't see a thread about it so I'm starting another one.

My bone density is still just osteopenia but has gotten worse since I had a DEXA 8 years ago.

My T score for hip is - 1.4....Z score 0.4

Comparison from prior exam Interval change of - 7.8%

Spine T score is 1.7...Z score 3.0...comparison from prior exam -12.9%

Estimated 10 yr risk of hip fracture is 2.7%.....and for major osteoporosis-related fracture is 12.3%

My dr says I do not need osteoporosis meds but wants me to take 1250 mg calcium daily.

I am extremely sensitive to almost all meds and can only tolerate 1 Calcium Citrate a day at 200 mg. She said that I should try Tums and take 4 a day!

I broke them in half because of being so sensitive and after the third half was doubled over in pain with my chronic IBS-D. I can not take Calcium Carbo.....at all, so not surprised I could not take the Tums.....but I tried.

I cannot take magnesium except for the 40 in my multi.I get 1850 D3 from vitamins and a liquid d3. I eat a lot of food with calcium and try to get as much K as I can with food.

I am lactose intolerant so I can't get calcium from dairy.

QUESTION.....Is there anyone out there taking that much calcium, what kind, and in a case like mine ..... what do I do?

I have never had a broken bone in my life and neither did either of my parents.

It has been over a week and my stomach is better but not good.

Are these numbers considered bad, and is that decrease considered bad for 8 years?

Any suggestions will be welcome.

JO-5

Org dx 04 lumpectomy rads arimidex stage 1 grade 3 no nodes er+pr+her- 2014 rads induced angiosarcoma, wide excision 2015 angio recurrence, rt mast. Lat flap, 1/3 flap went necrotic, skin graft leg to chest Seeing dr every 3 to 6 months.

Page 1 of 1 (27 results)

Posts 1 - 27 (27 total)

Nov 3, 2019 07:41PM JO-5 wrote:

Bump.....any input would be appreciated.

Org dx 04 lumpectomy rads arimidex stage 1 grade 3 no nodes er+pr+her- 2014 rads induced angiosarcoma, wide excision 2015 angio recurrence, rt mast. Lat flap, 1/3 flap went necrotic, skin graft leg to chest Seeing dr every 3 to 6 months.

Nov 3, 2019 08:30PM ruthbru wrote:

i don't know if this will help at all, but I take Viactiv. It's a candy-like chew. Each piece has 650mg of calcium, 500 IU of Vitamin D, and 40 mcg of Vitamin K. I take 3 chews a day for a total of 1,950 mg and spread them out over the day. One with breakfast, one at lunch, and one in the evening. The box says to eat them with meals for optimal absorption. I don't know if taking it like a candy and spreading it out would help your system tolerate it better or not, but it may be worth a try.

Also weight bearing exercise builds bones, as does a serving of dried plums (ie prunes) a day.

"Invisible threads are the strongest ties." Friedrich Nietzsche Dx 2/2007, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/11 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Nov 4, 2019 05:18AM JO-5 wrote:

ruth!

Thank you. I took Viactiv many years ago, when they first came on the market, and quit because I got sick of the taste.

I will gladly put up with the taste (maybe they have better flavors now). If they have no magnesium in them I might be able to tolerate them. Two a day would give me what my dr wants me to take plus 50.

Besides the box they used to come in a small roll like lifesavers. I could get a small amount to try. With my system I will know in a day or two if I can take them.

Thank you so much Ruth, I never thought of Viactiv. I will get some today!

Joanne

Nov 4, 2019 06:07AM ruthbru wrote:

I like the caramel ones the best (because they taste the most like real candy Loopy).

"Invisible threads are the strongest ties." Friedrich Nietzsche Dx 2/2007, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/11 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Nov 4, 2019 06:23AM HersheyKiss wrote:

Jo, I take Viactiv and it does contain calcium carbonate. It may not be appropriate if you have sensitivities.

Dx 3/1/2017, ILC, Left, 2cm, Grade 1, 3/16 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Nov 4, 2019 06:30AM - edited Nov 4, 2019 06:33AM by Ingerp

Jo--I've posted this link several times. I wanted to add some magnesium, and also have IBS that tends toward running fast. Based on this comparison I started taking magnesium glycinate several months ago and have had *zero* digestive issues. You might give it a shot.

https://www.vitacost.com/blog/vitamins-supplements/supplements/types-of-magnesium.html

P.S. I've jumped on the supplement bandwagon but do not take Calcium in that form. I try to get more through diet, and do lift weights, hoping that will help. I've also seen studies that Calcium supplements will improve bone density but that doesn't translate to fewer broken bones.

Dx 3/11/2016, DCIS, Left, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER-/PR- Surgery 3/23/2016 Lumpectomy Surgery 4/20/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 5/18/2016 Whole-breast: Breast Dx 3/2/2018, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Surgery 3/13/2018 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Targeted Therapy 5/18/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 5/18/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy 8/20/2018 Whole-breast: Breast

Nov 4, 2019 06:41AM - edited Nov 4, 2019 06:43AM by JO-5

Hershey,

My IBS tends to be more D than C but then other times it is back and forth.

If the Calcium carbonate constipated me perhaps the prunes would help.

Another thing that is the latest news is that calcium supplements are bad for the heart.

What do you all think of that?

I have high cholesterol and OF COURSE cannot take any of the meds. I've been on 4 different kinds plus a nitrate and can not take any of them, so the calcium being bad for the heart is concerning.

My drs are at their wits end what to do with me. No one can figure out what to give me for anything and have no idea why I'm so sensitive to meds, pain meds--antibiotics, etc. etc.

They all end up just saying that I have a very sensitive system.

All I can do is try the Viactiv and see what happens. I'm tired of buying med after med and end up throwing them out or giving them away......

If anyone has any info about calcium and the heart please share.

Joanne

Nov 4, 2019 06:50AM edj3 wrote:

Calcium phosphate didn't bother my stomach. I took Posture-D Calcium with Vitamin D Caplets which I had to order from Amazon.

Dx 4/9/2019, DCIS/IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Dx 5/6/2019, LCIS, Left, <1cm, 0/1 nodes Surgery 5/6/2019 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 6/3/2019 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 9/23/2019 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Nov 4, 2019 06:56AM - edited Nov 4, 2019 07:05AM by JO-5

This Post was deleted by JO-5.

Nov 4, 2019 07:04AM JO-5 wrote:

Ruth,

I remember the caramel but love chocolate so will probably try those first. Do they still come in the little rolls?

Ingerp,

I will look at that site and consider it. Thanks!

edj3,

I don't even know what Calcium phosphate is......never heard of it, but will look into it. I am up for trying different things and have a cupboard full to prove it besides what I threw away.

I have never had a broken bone in my life and neither did either of my parents.

What about the heart issue?

Joanne

Nov 4, 2019 07:08AM edj3 wrote:

I stopped taking the calcium because my calcium levels are already at the top end of normal. I can't speak to heart issues.

Dx 4/9/2019, DCIS/IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Dx 5/6/2019, LCIS, Left, <1cm, 0/1 nodes Surgery 5/6/2019 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 6/3/2019 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 9/23/2019 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Nov 4, 2019 07:22AM ruthbru wrote:

I don't know about coming in little rolls because I always buy a big box.

Nov 4, 2019 08:22AM - edited Nov 4, 2019 08:23AM by JO-5

Ruth,

So far I think I'm going to try the Viactiv. I'll let you know if there are small rolls 😁

If I have to buy a box and can't take them....I'm sure I have some family or friends that can. Just one more thing to waste money on if I can't take them, but worth it if I can. 🙄

Did they make you gassy or constipated? Maybe TMI.....but this is a real problem with me.

Joanne

Nov 4, 2019 08:37AM ruthbru wrote:

No, they don't make me feel any way what-so-ever, and I take an extra one (over the recommended dose) just for the heck of it. Hopefully you will have the same reaction (or lack there of!).

Nov 4, 2019 02:00PM notthrilled wrote:

I am trying a bone supplement that has a variety of things, it is alot like AlgaeCal which they tout as being more absorbable than standard calcium. Hope springs eternal.

Dx 5/2017, LCIS/DCIS/IDC, Both breasts, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/14/2017 Lymph node removal: Left, Right, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy 8/23/2017 Femara (letrozole) Surgery 9/28/2017 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 11/11/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole), Aromasin (exemestane), Femara (letrozole)

Nov 4, 2019 02:07PM flashlight wrote:

Jo-5, You can use this calculator to see how much calcium you are already getting in your diet. I take k2 with vit D3 and I don't take any calcium supplements for osteoporosis. I do exercise and have started lifting weights. Good luck to you!!

www.iofbonehealth.org/calcium-calculator

Dx 11/15/2018, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/26/2018 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 1/27/2019 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Nov 4, 2019 02:32PM JO-5 wrote:

notthrilled,

I've been reading about AlgaeCal. It probably has too many different ingredients for me. Hope it works for you.

Flashlight,

I will look at the calculator, because I would like to know how much I get in food. Thanks.

That much exercise is impossible for me and lifting weights is not an option because of severe arthritis, and lymphedema in the arm and side where the lat flap went. My PT therapist said no weights or big stretches on that side. The best I can do is walk as much as I am able and do the Lebeds exercises.

Joanne

Nov 4, 2019 03:16PM HersheyKiss wrote:

Jo, I take one Viactiv per day (650 mg of calcium). I try to eat/drink calcium-rich foods throughout the day: yogurt, cheese, enriched cereals, fortified orange juice, almonds, broccoli, etc.

Here is a link to Mayo's "Expert Answers" regarding calcium supplements and heart attack risk.

Nov 4, 2019 03:18PM - edited Nov 4, 2019 07:05PM by thisiknow

JO-5... you wouldn't happen to be red-headed, would you?

Age 72 @dx - Oncotype 4 Dx 8/2019, DCIS/IDC, Both breasts, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Radiation Therapy 10/28/2019 Whole-breast: Breast Surgery Lumpectomy: Left, Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel

Nov 5, 2019 05:16AM flashlight wrote:

JO-5, edj3,

I found this article about calcium and the heart/heart rate/blood pressure.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/473921-the-effects-of-calcium-on-the-heart-rate/

Dx 11/15/2018, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/26/2018 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 1/27/2019 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Nov 5, 2019 05:28AM SuQu31 wrote:

JO-5, I'm so sorry to hear of your difficulties with Calcium and other meds. I noticed that someone suggested Posture-D. I had so much difficulty with calcium causing serious gas, bloating and constipation that I stopped taking it and gave up trying to find something that would work. I tried all the typical types with the same results. My doctor finally suggested I just try to get enough from my diet. I searched Amazon reviews after my first bone scan revealed bone loss. That's how I found Posture-D. No gas, no constipation! It does contain 50 mg Magnesium per tablet, so I'm not sure if it would work for you, but it might be worth a try. And I wanted to chime in because others like me may be reading this. I had my second bone scan a few weeks ago, and my bone density has improved. I did take bisphosphonates for a year, but stopped them a year ago after my diagnosis (they cause such bone and muscle aches that I was sure something awful was happening, and I hated them and gave myself a break).

I hope you are able to find something that works for you. I must have an unusual sensitivity to most “regular" types of calcium because I could not even take a multivitamin with calcium or Vitamin D with calcium. I was also able to find a Vitamin D3 supplement on Amazon that did not contain calcium.

Re-excision for close anterior margin 10 days after BMX. Dx 10/31/2018, DCIS, Left, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER-/PR- Dx 12/10/2018, DCIS, Left, 2cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR- Surgery 12/10/2018 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Latissimus dorsi flap; Reconstruction (right): Latissimus dorsi flap Surgery 12/20/2018

Nov 5, 2019 05:39PM JO-5 wrote:

Hershey,

Even one at 650 would be better than I'm getting now.

thisIknow,

Not a redhead.....WHy? 😀

edj3,

I will read that article. Thanks

SUQU31,

I may look into that. The multi vitamin I was taking had 50 magnesium in it so I might be able to take Posture-D.

I am not able to take a lot of D3. I take a liquid 1000 because the coating on the clear gels make me sick and tablets are even worse.

To all......A few days or weeks are not going to make that much difference .....so I am going to keep researching and reading and wait until this latest IBS flare is over. Otherwise I will not know what is causing what.

I get alerts from the FDA site and got one today saying that Biotin (Vit B7) can cause blood work results to be skewed. It said the most in any supplement should be 30 mcg. Mine that I've taken for 4 years has 150! I'm wondering if that is the cause some of my blood work like thyroid/ cholesterol has been so off? It also said that too much can cause digestive problems and too much can interfere with other meds.

I've stopped that multi to see if I get better. Maybe I will be able to take the calcium.

BTW....Drug companies have known this since 2017....but it is a big seller for hair and nail growth. This latest research in 2019 has proven it does little for hair and nails.

Thanks everyone. I'm interested in anything any of you find out about the calcium subject.

Joanne

Nov 6, 2019 11:38AM - edited Nov 6, 2019 11:40AM by JO-5

Ok, ladies I have read all the sites you have given me and researched every calcium combination that I can.

I have decided to go with the Viactiv. I am going to cut one in half and take a half in the AM and a half in the PM because of my sensitivity to so much. That will still be more calcium than I'm getting now.

After a couple of weeks if all is well I will increase a half at lunch. Hopefully this will work for me. I will be eating apples and prunes every day to ward off constipation, as my IBS tends to go both ways...C and D but mostly D. The rest of my calcium will come from food.

Thanks to all of you that chimed in. I decided not to go with anything that has magnesium or phosphates in it as I can't take magnesium in any form except food, and I've tried several kinds in the past, and the info I got about calcium phosphate made me think it was not for me. According to what I read I get plenty of phosphate in my food.

Ruth....they no longer sell Viactiv in small rolls. I got a 60 count box, chocolate. 😊

What did you all think of the Biotin issue?

Thanks again

Joanne

Nov 6, 2019 01:27PM ruthbru wrote:

Very smart to start slow. Hoping it does the trick!

Nov 7, 2019 10:29AM HersheyKiss wrote:

Joanne, there are reports that biotin interferes with thyroid and other test results.

https://endocrinenews.endocrine.org/january-2016-thyroid-month-beware-of-biotin/

Nov 7, 2019 12:50PM - edited Nov 7, 2019 12:54PM by JO-5

Yes, Hershey, I know. That is why I pitched those vitamins. I have felt that my thyroid is off for a while but my tests always come back ok.

Now for some background. My oldest daughter had to have her her thyroid removed. Two of her daughters had their thyroid removed. Her other daughter has nodules. My middle daughter has a goiter and is on meds. Her son has been dx with hypothyroidism and is on meds. My youngest daughter has a large nodule on her thyroid, biopsied for cancer and benign. They are doing nothing for her but wait and watch. At her last appt it had gotten a little smaller......so I am on all of them to check their meds for Biotin.

What are the chances my thyroid is not ok and the Biotin (150. mg) has caused those tesrs to be off for the last 4 years.

I have a friend that has terrible digestive problems, and on thyroid meds, always sick and I just found out she has been taking Biotin in the thousands for years!

I think this is something we all should be aware of.

The most, according to the 2019 research should be 30mcg.....and that equates to 0.03 mg.

I was in a health food store the other day and the shelves were full of Biotin in all doses and it is expensive!

Joanne

20 hours ago Daylightdancer666 wrote:

Hiya

My calcium levels verb nightmare since diagnosis only once I've had my bone strengthening drug denaasaub or however you spell it was on calcium d3 but that didn't work so I'm trying now calcit like fizzy orange drink and vitamin d separately xx

Page 1 of 1 (27 results)