Join Us

We are 216,296 members in 84 forums discussing 160,161 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Significant decrease in bone density after taking Actonel

Forum: Bone Health and Bone Loss —

Talk with others about bone density, osteopenia and osteoporosis, and ways to keep your bones strong

Posted on: Dec 11, 2019 09:07AM

Lime wrote:

I have been taking Actonel since 2017 after slipping into osteoporosis shown by DEXA scan. One year later I showed a remarkable improvement after DEXA scan. This year’s bone density showed loss back into osteoporosis -2.6. Has anybody experienced this? Going to see endocrinologist tomorrow and wondered what recommendations others have received

Dx 7/1/2011, IDC: Mucinous, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 2/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Chemotherapy 9/6/2011 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole) Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab) Surgery Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Nipple reconstruction, Silicone implant, Tissue expander placement

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)

Posts 1 - 4 (4 total)

Dec 11, 2019 07:27PM edwards750 wrote:

Lime - I was DX with osteoporosis too. My MO prescribed Arimidex the first year I was DX with BC. Big mistake. It attacks the bones. She switched me to Tamoxifen but the damage was alreadydone. I had horrible hip pain last year but am now taking Boniva and my numbers have improved to the point I am in the osteopenia stage. I also take calcium and Vit D.

I’m curious to hear what your endocrinologist has to say about the change. Keep us posted.

Diane

Dec 12, 2019 12:52PM Lime wrote:

Thanks Diane! Just had my visit and we discussed switching to a once per year Reclast infusion. I will probably switch over in February. I have two more years on arimidex. After that we can reevaluate what the new plan will be

Dx 7/1/2011, IDC: Mucinous, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 2/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Chemotherapy 9/6/2011 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole) Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab) Surgery Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Nipple reconstruction, Silicone implant, Tissue expander placement

Dec 12, 2019 07:34PM edwards750 wrote:

Lime - good idea but still wondering why he keeps you on Arimidex knowing it attacks the bones.

Diane

Dec 13, 2019 09:20AM Lime wrote:

My feeling is that Im in the home stretch of completing ten years of arimidex. I derive a great deal of comfort in that and prefer treating the borderline osteoporosis rather than changing the anti hormonal at this point. Our goal is to improve or stabilize the bone density while on arimidex with reclast and then hopefully will be able to discontinue the bone builders when done with arimidex. From what I’ve read patients can experience improved bone density after finishing treatment with anti hormonal. Fingers crossed that this goes as planned. If not we will reevaluate. This road is not an easy one with some twists and turns but I continue to be grateful that I haven't experienced many debilitating side effects. Hoping this continues with this new protocol. All the best

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)