Topic: Zometa - What was your experience?

Forum: Bone Health and Bone Loss — Talk with others about bone density, osteopenia and osteoporosis, and ways to keep your bones strong

Posted on: Nov 2, 2020 02:25PM

Posted on: Nov 2, 2020 02:25PM

miriandra wrote:

My last bone scan showed mid-level osteopenia, and my doc recommended Zometa. I was lucky enough that my cancer seems to have been caught by my mastectomy - no chemo or rads. I'm on anastrozole just to be safe.

Most of the other Zometa threads seem to be for very complex cases where the posters are juggling many conditions and meds. What are the experiences of people who are only undergoing Zometa? Did it lay you out for a long time, or did you barely notice? My doc warned about flu-like symptoms ( 0_0 ) for a few days, but these are often helped by taking Claratin for a few days before the treatment.

Thank you for your insights and thoughts!

Dx 5/31/2019, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, 0/1 nodes, ER+ Surgery Mastectomy (Left)

Page 6 of 6 (52 results)

Nov 3, 2022 10:44PM minustwo wrote:

Wren44 - Yup - I'd get Claritin. Personally I don't care for Tylanol. I'm an aspirin fan. At this point I've had 13 Prolia shot every 6 months. It's holding me at only 'mild' osteoporosis. I hope Zometa treats you gently.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Nov 4, 2022 10:07AM miriandra wrote:

Well, I'm still on Zometa. Doc says for my race, my eGFR is fine. My recent bone density scan showed me at the same level of osteopenia, but the areas presenting with porous tissue have shifted. I'm basically holding steady, and doing well. He says to monitor my urine output, but chemically things look good. (No diabetes or other renal red flags.)

In good news, I got a confirmation that I'll only need to be on my AI's for two more years. My oncotype put me in the 5-year plan rather than 10. So when the AI's are no longer a factor, I'm hoping a lot of these cascade issues will resolve too.

Dx 5/31/2019, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, 0/1 nodes, ER+ Surgery Mastectomy (Left)

Page 6 of 6 (52 results)

Scroll to top button