Join Us

We are 224,367 members in 83 forums discussing 163,513 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Natural options and magnesium

Forum: Bone Health and Bone Loss —

Talk with others about bone density, osteopenia and osteoporosis, and ways to keep your bones strong

Posted on: Jan 3, 2021 02:09AM

michellehashope wrote:

I am a 10 year breast cancer survivor. I had a mastectomy, chemotherapy, arimidex, and radiation. Just had a bone scan and found out that I have osteoporosis at age 51.

This scares me a lot! The worst part is that I have a CORN ALLERGY, which I just found that out too, and unable to take any RX for it. I have yet to find a supplement without corn or derivatives. A friend recommended Magnesium for bone loss. Does anyone take that? How much and what kind?

What other suggestions to help with further bone loss?

Thank you

Dx 7/2009, DCIS/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/15 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 1 of 1 (6 results)

Posts 1 - 6 (6 total)

Jan 3, 2021 09:26AM flashlight wrote:

Hi, I have trouble taking a calcium supplement so I found this site helpful www.nof.org/patients/treatment/calciumvitamin-d/ Get your Vitamin D level checked. Almond milk is also a good source of calcium. Before Covid I had started some weight bearing exercises at the Y and hope to restart soon. Walking also helps. I take a magnesium supplement at bedtime. Tamoxifen causes a lot of muscle cramps and this seems to help. I was on Magnesium Oxide 400mg and changed to Glycinate, but it doesn't seem to be working for me so I will change back.

Dx 11/15/2018, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Dx DCIS, Left, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy Whole-breast Surgery Lumpectomy: Left

Jan 3, 2021 11:44AM edj3 wrote:

Does your corn allergy rule out Prolia or Foreos or Tymlos?

Tried the tamoxifen, no thanks. Dx 4/9/2019, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 5/5/2019 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Dx 5/6/2019, LCIS, Left, <1cm, 0/1 nodes Radiation Therapy 6/2/2019 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 9/22/2019 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Jan 3, 2021 12:28PM SerenitySTAT wrote:

Try eating prunes and seaweed. Both are good for bone health. Build up slowly with prunes (I eat 5 at a time). Since they're whole foods you don't have to worry about corn.

"Do not overlook the little joys!" (Hesse, 1905) 💉💉🐶☕️🛀🖼🥐🌲🎭 Dx 11/2015 IDC L IIIC 10/11 nodes ++-, 12/2015 L Mast, 2/2016 4 AC+12 Taxol fasted, 9/2016 Rads Nodes Chest wall 15+4 boosts, 10/2016 Tamox, 4/2019 Exemestane, 12/2019 Ibrance/Xgeva

Jan 5, 2021 12:15PM ThreeTree wrote:

Google "prunes and osteoporosis" and "extra virgin olive oil and osteoporosis". There is a lot of good and encouraging information about the use of these two natural food sources for osteoporosis. I'm banking on it myself right now and am due to have a Dexa scan later this month. I've been on Letrozole for just about a year now and I had osteoporosis per Dexa, at the time it was prescribed. I absolutely did not want to go the bisphosphonate route, so am trying this. I actually had a fall last July - went all the way down onto cement, but nothing broke! Only bruised and skinned knees and wrist. I'm hoping to see improvement, or at least no further deterioration, with this next Dexa, but who knows?

Jan 5, 2021 12:25PM Sunshine99 wrote:

I was taking Raw Calcium with Magnesium. I believe it's made by Garden of Life (you can Google it or look for it on Amazon). I don't see corn listed in the ingredients. From what I understand, the magnesium is supposed to help the calcium absorb.

Cancer has progressed to my bones. I pray that it never enters my soul. Dx 11/2/2007, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIA, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 3/26/2020, ILC/IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, ER+/PR-, HER2- (FISH) Hormonal Therapy 4/22/2020 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 5/5/2020 External: Bone Radiation Therapy 5/12/2020 External: Bone Targeted Therapy 6/10/2020 Ibrance (palbociclib)

Jan 5, 2021 01:14PM moth wrote:

michellehashope - are you seeing an endocrinologist? You really should be. Your osteoporosis may not be caused by calcium deficiency and taking supplements may cause other health problems (such as kidney stones for example). Bone synthesis of calcium is very complicated - it's not that simple that we take calcium and it gets sucked into bone. You need the right balance of calcium, magnesium, vitamin D, vitamin K and other elements.

You might need bone strengthening treatment such as Prolia. It is given by injection every 6 months and many have reversed or halted their bone loss on this medication.

I really recommend you see an endocrinologist. In the meantime, for a week keep a log of your diet - endocrinologists want to know your intake of certain foods (use a kitchen scale or estimate volume). You might be getting enough of certain things from your diet.

I'm vegan (no dairy, no meat) and have osteoperosis in sacrum and osteopenia in hip. My endocrinologist advised me to take vitamin D but no extra calcium as I was getting enough from diet. People think you need dairy for bone health but you really don't....

best wishes

I take weekends off

Initial dx at 50. Seriously?? “Sometimes the future changes quickly and completely and we’re left with only the choice of what to do next." blog: Never Tell Me the Odds

Dx 12/2017, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 12/12/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 2/14/2018 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 8/13/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Dx 2/2020, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to liver/lungs, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 3/18/2020 Taxol (paclitaxel) Immunotherapy 3/19/2020 Tecentriq (atezolizumab) Chemotherapy 11/26/2020 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Dx 12/9/2020, IDC, Right, Stage IV, metastasized to lungs, Grade 3, ER+/PR-, HER2- (IHC) Radiation Therapy 12/9/2020 External Hormonal Therapy 12/16/2020 Femara (letrozole) Dx 1/28/2021, IDC, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to bone Radiation Therapy 3/3/2021 External: Bone

Page 1 of 1 (6 results)