Join Us

We are 222,308 members in 83 forums discussing 162,449 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Parathyroid? Bone/Joint Pain/ High Calcium Blood Level

Forum: Bone Health and Bone Loss —

Talk with others about bone density, osteopenia and osteoporosis, and ways to keep your bones strong

Posted on: May 2, 2021 09:33AM - edited May 2, 2021 09:37AM by Jons_girl

Jons_girl wrote:

Hi Friends: (Sorry for lengthy post)

I recently got blood work results back. And some of my numbers are higher than normal.

My Alk Phos numbers seem to keep going up. Starting in 2017 at my cancer dx timeframe my number was 70 then May of 2020 78 then sept 2020 jumped to 92 then Jan 2021 102. Feb 2021 114 and April 2021 110. It's gone up quite a bit

I had my alk phos isoenzymes tested too. That test is supposed to show where the elevated alk phos is coming from. It showed it's coming from my BONES not from liver. Liver alk phos is normal

So I'm a little concerned. I've been having joint/bone pain for awhile now.

I am NOT ON a AI inhibitor, haven't had rads or chemo and no tamoxifen so I know the pain isn't from meds or anything like that

My blood CALCIUM has jumped from the 9s to now 10.2. So I don't know if that's concerning??

It's interesting that I have OSTEOPENIA and my calcium blood level is high. Strange.

My PARATHYROID test showed a level of 22 I think in normal level. But my Calcium was high at 10 again.

Just sharing because I'm concerned. Maybe this is nothing to be concerned about. I've never had my bones checked other than a dexascan.

But I'm wondering what type of scans I should ask for?

Should I have bone scan AND parathyroid scan?

I've read some of the parathyroid threads and wonder if I have issues?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts!

Breast cancer at age 49. Felt tumor. Wasn’t caught on mammo even after feeling tumor. Ultrasound caught my cancer. Dx 6/2017, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 7/5/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel

Page 2 of 2 (44 results)

Posts 31 - 44 (44 total)

May 14, 2021 12:18PM ceanna wrote:

Anx, I don't remember which came first, but I have not taken an AI so don't know if Anastrozole would affect calcium levels. A quick search showed me a possible correlation between Anastrozole and calcium, so it might be a good question for your doctor or even to start another thread here with that specific question. Some Anastrozole users might have input but are not reading this thread.

Navy, I had not heard of an ionized calcium test before. I don't have a need for it now that my calcium levels have remained normal since my adenoma was removed, but I'm sure others will find that information helpful. Thanks.

Dx 2014, IDC, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Radiation Therapy Multi-catheter Surgery Lumpectomy: Right

May 14, 2021 06:51PM Anx789 wrote:

Ceanna, some research indicates that hypercalcemia increase the risk of cancer diagnosis specially in male.

Navy, why different labs have different normal range? If you are 10.4 in one lab, are you also going to have 10.4 I in other lab that has different normal range?

Dx 9/25/2018, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC)

May 14, 2021 09:48PM Jons_girl wrote:

Lilyishere: Wow thank you for sharing your experience with the thyroid nodule and biopsy. That info is good to know what to look for on the neck.

Anx789: I did have a consult with a rhumatologist. Nothing really showed up at all as I recall. So now I have been referred for my parathyroid to a endo dr. My calcium is high but my albumin is 5.2 too. And protein is on the higher normal side. So not sure what it all means but my onco dr is most concerned with my alk phos level. So will see what the endo dr says. I am in the process of getting the appt. Waiting for them to call me for a appt. But my onco dr isn't really worried about my calcium level even tho it is on the high end of normal, 10.2 I think.

ceanna: Thank you for that info. Interesting. Well I would be happy if my bone density would go up instead of going down. And calcium level used to be in the 9's so maybe this is nothing. But my elevated alk phos is coming from my bones we found out. So could be why my calcium is elevated too? Not sure. Don't know what is causing this. But I think we plan to do a CT if nothing shows up on any tests the endo dr orders.

navy1305: Thank you for the info on the ionized calcium test. I think I had heard about that somewhere but this is good info to know about.

Hopeful to get answers soon. Have a good weekend everyone!

Breast cancer at age 49. Felt tumor. Wasn’t caught on mammo even after feeling tumor. Ultrasound caught my cancer. Dx 6/2017, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 7/5/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel

May 16, 2021 01:57PM SeeQ wrote:

anx, here is a link that talks about normal range varying by lab. I always came across a similar explanation when trying to review my bloodwork results in detail (before MBC). https://labtestsonline.org/articles/laboratory-test-reference-ranges

Diagnosed de novo Stage IV; numerous liver mets; single small breast tumor identified 4 weeks later Dx 6/2/2020, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IV, metastasized to liver, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Hormonal Therapy 7/3/2020 Arimidex (anastrozole) Targeted Therapy 7/10/2020 Verzenio

May 17, 2021 07:04PM Anx789 wrote:

Thanks seeQ, that link is very informative

Dx 9/25/2018, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC)

May 29, 2021 12:57AM Jons_girl wrote:

I had a endocrinologist appt. just updating here. My calcium appears to have gone down to 9s again. Alk Phos still elevated. Bun is elevated and bun/creatinine is elevated. globulin is elevated now too. He’s ruling out a bunch of stuff. Waiting for more results. But dr doesn’t think it’s my parathyroid looking at bloodwork. Will see what the other tests say.

Hope everyone is having a great week.

May 29, 2021 10:18PM ceanna wrote:

JonsGirl, thanks for the update. Sorry you still have to wait to find out what's happening but glad the doctor could rule out a few things. Hope you are doing well meanwhile. Please keep us updated as you find out more. All the best.

Dx 2014, IDC, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Radiation Therapy Multi-catheter Surgery Lumpectomy: Right

Jun 5, 2021 12:42AM Jons_girl wrote:

ceanna:

Thank you for your support. All the other tests seemed ok. This might just be menopause but supposedly memopause bone loss isn’t supposed to be painful. So next test they will be doing a nuclear bone scan study or a pet scan. My onco is checking with my insurance company to see if they will pay for a pet scan. Otherwise will have the other scan. And may have CT of pelvis abdomen chest too. Will see what insurance approves.

Jun 5, 2021 11:59PM ceanna wrote:

JonsGirl, glad to hear the doctors are willing to follow up with you. All the best to you, and please keep us updated as you can.

Jun 11, 2021 03:06AM Jons_girl wrote:

ceanna: thank you for your support. I got a pet scan scheduled for next Tuesday. I think that's even better than a bone scan. Cause it looks at everything so won't need to have bone scan and ct if I have a pet scan because it sees everything.

Hoping the joint painI’m having is just menopause.

Jun 11, 2021 12:52PM AliceBastable wrote:

The scans look at things in your body in different ways. I had a CT scan last Friday. Today I had a PET scan to follow up since there were areas of concern on my CT. But there was a non-contrast CT done today as part of the PET scan. When I asked about it, the technician said it's to get a perfect line-up of the body. When I was first diagnosed with two simultaneous cancers in 2018, I had CT and bone scans, each looking for different things.

I'm curious if your insurance covers things like PET scans when it's the patient requesting it? Mine is very strict about medical necessity.

Endometrial cancer 2010, basal cell multiples, breast cancer 2018, kidney cancer 2018. Boring. Dx 5/2018, ILC/IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 1/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/11/2018 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 8/8/2018 Radiation Therapy 10/29/2018 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

Jun 12, 2021 12:28AM Jons_girl wrote:

Hi Alice:💐sorry to hear about all the scans. Not fun. Thanks for sharing that information about ct and bone scan and pet scans. Interesting.

I was told pet scan sees bones and everything a cat sees too. That’s what I think I was told. So I don’t understand all this. Lol.

I’m not the only one requesting the pet scan. Although I asked my dr if we could try to see if insurance would pay for it. Otherwise I’d probably have to have ct and bone scan. So just one scan this way I think.
My doctor referred me for the pet scan. Supposedly my insurance didn’t require authorization for the pet scan. I was surprised but maybe it’s because I had cancer before and never had pet scan? My insurance is pretty good about covering stuff I need done. Ruling out Mets etc for this pain I’ve been having.

Hope you get answers with the scans you’ve had too! Have a wonderful weekend!

Jun 12, 2021 01:29AM AliceBastable wrote:

Hmm, you must have good insurance. Mine always asks for authorization before paying for scans (or part of, I had a large portion to pay for today's PET scan) even though I've had more than one type of cancer.

Endometrial cancer 2010, basal cell multiples, breast cancer 2018, kidney cancer 2018. Boring. Dx 5/2018, ILC/IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 1/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/11/2018 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 8/8/2018 Radiation Therapy 10/29/2018 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

Jun 12, 2021 09:26AM Jons_girl wrote:

interesting! Thanks for sharing that info. Yes I guess my insurance is good insurance. I have a insurance app that I can search what prices are(my amount I’d have to pay)on a area map. So I chose a cheaper area hospital to have the pet scan at. My cost will be 265 I think. Not too bad I don’t think? I would think a pet scan is expensive but not sure.

Hope you get results soon. I hope all is ok for you.

Page 2 of 2 (44 results)