Topic: Just diagnosed with osteoporosis: Scared!

Forum: Bone Health and Bone Loss — Talk with others about bone density, osteopenia and osteoporosis, and ways to keep your bones strong

Posted on: Jun 2, 2022 12:44PM - edited Jun 2, 2022 12:49PM by viewfinder

Posted on: Jun 2, 2022 12:44PM - edited Jun 2, 2022 12:49PM by viewfinder

viewfinder wrote:

I recently saw my oncologist. She says that I have osteoporosis. She had me stop anastrozole after taking it for four years. She said to take 4000 IU of Vitamin D and 600 IU of calcium everyday.

I have to admit that I'm scared! I have pain throughout every part my body, limbs and joints, primarily from past falls. I can't walk up and down stairs by myself, can't sit on the floor because I'm simply unable to get up (not related to a weight problem). Doing weight-bearing exercises, which I've read helps, seem out of the question.

I'm unclear what to expect going forward. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. btw, I'm 77 years old and live alone.

Thank you!

"You would not have called to me unless I had been calling to you,” said the Lion. – C. S. Lewis Dx 4/2018, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+, HER2- Surgery 6/11/2018 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left) Radiation Therapy 9/13/2018 Hormonal Therapy 10/13/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Page 3 of 3 (26 results)

Aug 1, 2022 03:06PM viewfinder wrote:

mamarika - sounds like my oncologist. I was able to speak with a nurse who's been through all this osteoporosis stuff. After speaking with her I've decided not to take any prescription medicines; too many side effects. I'll continue with Vit. D and Calcium. I've also started taking some collegan every day.

"You would not have called to me unless I had been calling to you,” said the Lion. – C. S. Lewis Dx 4/2018, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+, HER2- Surgery 6/11/2018 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left) Radiation Therapy 9/13/2018 Hormonal Therapy 10/13/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Aug 1, 2022 03:19PM - edited Aug 1, 2022 03:21PM by viewfinder

elderberry,

Sorry to hear about your fall. Glad you were okay except for a few bruises!

Your report seems more thorough than mine, which said nothing about "Fracture risk in 10 years." I wonder why not?!

I've been told recently by my PCP that my osteoporosis is mild. Before that, I was really freaking out. Guess that can happen when your oncologist (who ordered the test) won't explain anything and instead wants to send you to someone else.

Right or wrong, I've decided not to take any osteoporosis medicines. The nurse I mentioned said she took some for 10 years. When she stopped, her osteoporosis returned to what it was before she started. What the?! She's looks about 20 years younger than me (I'm 78).

Aug 1, 2022 03:26PM rah2464 wrote:

My MO/endocronologist started me on Zolodronic Acid ( has other names like reclast etc) for two reasons. I am younger so I can stay on this medication longer (Im 58) and also its the same thing that is used for bone mets albeit at a lower dosing. So her thinking was that could be a side benefit but who knows.

An endocronologist is more highly trained in this issue than your oncologist typically.

Dx 5/23/2018, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/27/2018 Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (Right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 7/27/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Aug 1, 2022 05:10PM elderberry wrote:

There is a new bunch of osteoporosis drugs but you can only take them for two years then have to stop and take other osteo drugs.

Would taking collagen improve my bones AND plump up my wrinkles?

De Novo - this isn't a "brave battle" - it is a "furious struggle" Dx 3/6/2019, IDC, Left, 5cm, Stage IV, metastasized to liver, HER2+ Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy Taxol (paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy Perjeta (pertuzumab)

Aug 6, 2022 05:23AM jelson wrote:

Elderberry, I just came across this article about a clinical study which showed Jarlsburg cheese, and only Jarlsburg cheese positively impacting osteoporosis. Apparently Jarlsburg contains vitamin K. nutrition.bmj.com/content/earl... While the study group was healthy premenopausal Norwegian women and the goal was looking at prevention, I think there would be no harm and perhaps benefit to add Jarlsburg cheese to my diet!!!

Dx 4/17/2009, DCIS, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/0 nodes, ER+/PR+

Aug 6, 2022 10:44AM threetree wrote:

Jelson - Thanks for posting this. Yes, looks like it was aimed more for pre-menopausal, and then there were only 66 women in the study group, but it is interesting. I'm one who happens to love sardines, so maybe when I have them with crackers, I can also add a slice of Jarlsburg with each cracker - always loved Jarlsburg, but quit eating it years ago as I assumed cheese wasn't all that great for overall health, but I think I might re-visit the idea. I also read that parmesan contains the most calcium of all cheese, and was considering adding that in sometimes too.

(I have post menopausal osteoporosis and am doing all I can to not take those drugs. So far I've at least maintained while taking Letrozole. Won't have another Dexa until next January or so. At this point, I'd be happy to maintain my current status and just have no more loss, but improvement would be great, of course. I do not want to go the drug route if I can avoid it if at all possible.)

Page 3 of 3 (26 results)

Scroll to top button