Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Zometa - side effect and pain

Options
seveniechewy
seveniechewy Member Posts: 1
edited September 2022 in Bone Health and Bone Loss

hi all,

My mom was diagnosed stage IIA HER2+ breast cancer last year and has undergone mastectomy, chemo and just completed targeted with herceptin and perjeta.

She also has a history of osteoporosis so we were told by our oncology MO that we could try zometa which supposingly can help osteoporosis with the extra benefit of preventing bone nets and better survival.

she had her first zometa infusion last thurs, over 15 mins. I only just realise that I should’ve told her to stay more hydrated. She had some flu like symptoms with fever and some aches over her body for 2-3 days which was manageable.

However since 2 days ago (around 4 days after her zometa infusion) she started having rather intense pain over her right leg/ calf and some mild pain over her left thigh too. She needs to take regular paracetamol and ibuprofen for the pain and sometimes it disturbs her sleep.

I know that zometa can cause muscle ache and bone pain; but Is this sort of localised pain common after zometa infusion? How long does it usually last? Her last PET was done in august this year and it was clear with no bone mets. It just hurts me to see how the she needs to take regular pills for the pain

thank you all

Comments

• parakeetsrule
    parakeetsrule Member Posts: 605
    edited September 2022
    Options
    She needs to talk to her doctor about this. It doesn't matter if it's common or not. Lots of bad things are common. If the pain is so bad it's disturbing her sleep she needs medical attention!