Topic: Alternative Treatment

Forum: Alternative Medicine — This forum is a safe, judgement-free place to discuss Alternative medicine. Alternative medicine refers to treatments that are used INSTEAD of standard, evidence-based treatment. Breastcancer.org does NOT recommend or endorse alternative medicine.

Posted on: Aug 8, 2011 10:32AM

Posted on: Aug 8, 2011 10:32AM

dougbrimor wrote:

Has anyone used alternative treatments such as Lorriane Day, Chris Beat Cancer, The Hallelujah Diet and skipped the cookie cutter 6 weeks of radiation and five years of Tamoifen?  I am so confused , even the 2011 cancer book that the radaition department gave me in my red folder states that radiation can cause a second cancer, that they are working on improving these satatics.  I read the whole book cover to cover and was just blown away by what they are admitting of these chemicals.  Anyway, would like to know if anyone else is swinging on this bridge?  Thanks

Dx 7/18/2011, <1cm, Stage I, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 5 of 185 (1,846 results)

Feb 2, 2012 02:54AM - edited Feb 2, 2012 02:56AM by AlaskaAngel

I have more of a question or theory than a conclusion about tamoxifen use for breast cancer, for those here to consider (not only HER2 positives, but HR negatives).

I was dx'd stage 1 grade 3 HER2+++, and after doing CAFx5 and rads, was put on tamoxifen. I was on it for a year and then started finding reliable info on the net in 2003 that indicated that about 1/3 of the HER2 positive bc patients developed resistance to tamoxifen. Since they didn't know they were developing resistance to it, they didn't know they were taking it for nothing. So at the end of the first year of it I cut my dose down somewhat, and brought the info to my PCP, who took it to my onc.

Both my PCP and my onc, instead of being polite enough to treat the question (and me) respectfully by intelligent discussion, merely responded that "because I was probably menopausal [by this time], we will just put you on an aromatase inhibitor". I was appalled (and justifiably irritated) to have been put on a drug that had a 1/3 chance of risk of not being effective at all for me without any discussion in the first place, and then being treated like an idiot for bringing in the documentation for discussion--especially given that tamoxifen has many side effects and some additional risks.

It is possible that initially the tamoxifen was helpful to me, since my breast density was still dense at completion of rads after CAFx6 but disappeared by 3 months out from starting the tamoxifen. (Ditto for my sex life -- permanently.)

The research indicates that those HER2 positives who have a high AIB1 level are the ones who are likely to develop resistance to tamoxifen. I don't know why but there does not seem to be testing commonly available to determine whether one has a high AIB1 level.

What is concerning to me is that recently I saw some research that indicated that another group that has a high AIB1 level is the HR- group, which also tends to have a higher recurrence rate. The conclusion of the recent study is that maybe finding a way to knock down the AIB1 level may be worth targeting.

I don't know how "usable" this info is for those here, but it is just interesting to consider on an individual basis.

AlaskaAngel

Dx 12/3/2001, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+, Surgery 1/3/2002 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Chemotherapy 3/12/2002 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil) Radiation Therapy 9/10/2002 Breast Hormonal Therapy 11/15/2002 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Feb 2, 2012 07:56AM sweetbean wrote:

Now, that's interesting, AA.  About the A1B1.  There is also a link between recurrence and high levels of CRP, which can be controlled with diet and exercise.  Anything like that for A1B1?

Dx 11/18/2010, ILC, 5cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 2/15 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+,

Feb 2, 2012 09:14AM dougbrimor wrote:

Could you explain the link between reoccurence and CRP, I hadn't heard about this before.  Thank you

Dx 7/18/2011, <1cm, Stage I, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 2, 2012 02:14PM - edited Feb 2, 2012 02:15PM by AlaskaAngel

sweetbean may have more to add here about the CRP. But it is used as a test for cardiac purposes primarily, for inflammation of the circulation system. Mine was done because my PCP assumed that because I was menopausal and had gained weight after treatment and am older now that, like most, I was not eating a proper diet and because I had a cholesterol that was moderately high, I should take a statin for it. I challenged his conclusion and we agreed to do the CRP. It showed clearly that my diet was not a problem, and read "low risk".  (All my other lab results had been very clearly indicating such to be the case for me, but my PCP was fixated on the cholesterol reading.) I think diet is so key to keeping cancer from recurring that I think this test, when used with someone who has bc, can indicate whether they are eating the best possible diet.

Dx 12/3/2001, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+, Surgery 1/3/2002 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Chemotherapy 3/12/2002 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil) Radiation Therapy 9/10/2002 Breast Hormonal Therapy 11/15/2002 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Feb 2, 2012 02:22PM AlaskaAngel wrote:

sweetbean,

I don't know of anything that those with a high AIB1 can do to lower it, but your question is very interesting. The deal for bc patients about AIB1 is that about 1/3 of HER positive patients have a high level, but MOST of the HR negatives have a high level.

With these 2 groups having such a bad rap (prior to trastuzumab at least), IF science can find a natural way (or less desirably, a synthetic way) to lower AIB1, then that would allow more successful use of tamoxifen until postmenopause is reached.

I dunno. I still wish they would just get over this tweaking with this and that, and get off their buns and get more serious about analyzing the natural endocrine basis and effects. I'd RATHER have a sex life than have to use a synthetic to just survive.

A.A.

Feb 2, 2012 07:28PM Kaara wrote:

I am HR/PR+ and post menopausal.  I am starting on tamoxifen because it seems to have less SE's than the Al's.  I am going to start on a lower dose (1/2 the prescribed) until I can see if my body will tolerate it.  I read somewhere that better results are achieved if you do tamox for several years and then switch to an Al if you are postmenopausal.

Kaara Dx 11/14/2011, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 3, 2012 02:55AM sunspark wrote:

Sweetbean in reply to your question:

Thank you for your question about alchemy and your statement that no one survived cancer long ago. I asked my friend about this. He said long ago alchemists cured people of cancer and all diseases, in the same way that they changed lead into gold, as documented in 1814.

He said alchemists use the sound energies contained in secret words and sing the sounds of ancient secret songs that cause the protons, electrons and neutrons of atoms to move into different configurations. He said this process transformed diseased cells in human bodies into healthy cells.

He also said he is part of an organization which will very soon go public with a big announcement.Here is a listing of alchemy related historical dates and names that were provided.

• 300 AD Roman Emperor Diocletian orders all books on alchemy destroyed.
• 1317 Pope John XXII issues "Spondent Pariter" condemning alchemist to exile and heavy fines for merchants dealing in alchemical gold.
• 1404 Henry IV in England issues edit declaring use of alchemy to be illegal.
• 1814 Bullet of lead alchemically transformed into gold in front of an army officer and a doctor. (Bullet and affidavits are located in London's British Museum).

Feb 3, 2012 01:50PM AnnNYC wrote:

Sunspark = Shivamsarah?

Dx 3/9/2007, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 3, 2012 03:06PM sweetbean wrote:

sunspark,

does your friend also wear a lovely tinfoil hat?  i'm sorry - that just sounds ridiculous to me.  cancer used to be a death sentence, and a fairly quick one at that, because by the time it was diagnosed, it was extremely advanced.

Dx 11/18/2010, ILC, 5cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 2/15 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+,

Feb 3, 2012 03:20PM rosemary-b wrote:

I respect that we all have different beliefs as to what may cure our cancer but don't you think the alchemists would have paid somebody off with the gold they made so that they would be able to carry on their work? This is just too much to believe.

I will say though that I am curious about the big announcement.

Dx 2/25/2007, IDC, Stage I, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Page 5 of 185 (1,846 results)

Scroll to top button