Topic: Alternative Treatment

Forum: Alternative Medicine — This forum is a safe, judgement-free place to discuss Alternative medicine. Alternative medicine refers to treatments that are used INSTEAD of standard, evidence-based treatment. Breastcancer.org does NOT recommend or endorse alternative medicine.

Posted on: Aug 8, 2011 10:32AM

Posted on: Aug 8, 2011 10:32AM

dougbrimor wrote:

Has anyone used alternative treatments such as Lorriane Day, Chris Beat Cancer, The Hallelujah Diet and skipped the cookie cutter 6 weeks of radiation and five years of Tamoifen?  I am so confused , even the 2011 cancer book that the radaition department gave me in my red folder states that radiation can cause a second cancer, that they are working on improving these satatics.  I read the whole book cover to cover and was just blown away by what they are admitting of these chemicals.  Anyway, would like to know if anyone else is swinging on this bridge?  Thanks

Dx 7/18/2011, <1cm, Stage I, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 62 of 185 (1,846 results)

May 3, 2012 02:06PM sweetbean wrote:

Phytoestrogens are beneficial for ER+ cancer.

Dx 11/18/2010, ILC, 5cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 2/15 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+,

May 3, 2012 02:10PM Ruby- wrote:

Sweetbean, I have repeatedly asked that you provide back up to your statement and you have repeatedly failed to do so - phytoestrogens are NOT beneficial for ER+

“The cell’s intracellular cytoplasmic sea is an ocean of symphonic motion awash with incomprehensible complexity.” Howes, M.D., Ph.D Dx 2010, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 1, 3/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 3, 2012 02:12PM Ruby- wrote:

Abigail, I think you've hit it on the nail 

“The cell’s intracellular cytoplasmic sea is an ocean of symphonic motion awash with incomprehensible complexity.” Howes, M.D., Ph.D Dx 2010, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 1, 3/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 3, 2012 02:42PM abigail48 wrote:

green tea is a phytoestogen:  there ar hundereds contained in fruits & vegetables, nearly all are benifical for health.  there's a linus pau;ing institude at the u of oregon I think, I researched this subject fairly recently

May 3, 2012 03:43PM abigail48 wrote:

phyto chemical, my error

May 3, 2012 03:56PM Ruby- wrote:

Abi, phytoestrogens as in food have both estrogen agonist and estrogen antagonist activity in different tissues. They don't work the same way as regular estrogen hormone.  However, phytoestrogenic herbs and supplements are a whole different issue and they are not recommended for ER pos breast cancer.  I have seen enough warnings out there to convince me.

Green tea is a miracle worker

Epidemiological data have suggested that EGCG may provide protective effects against hormone related cancers, namely breast or prostate cancer.

Researchers at the University of Murcia in Spain and the John Innes Center in Norwich, England have shown that EGCG prevents cancer cells from growing by binding to a specific enzyme. They showed for the first time that it inhibits the enzyme dihydrofolate reductase, which is a recognized, established target for anti-cancer drugs. Green tea has about five times as much EGCG as regular tea. Green tea has been suspected to decrease rates of certain cancers but scientists were not sure what compounds were involved or how they worked. Nor had they determined how much green tea a person would have to drink to have a beneficial effect. EGCG is probably just one of a number of anti-cancer mechanisms in green tea. EGCG targets multiple MMP-mediated cellular events in cancer cells and provides a new mechanism for the anticancer properties of that molecule. Understanding the basic principles by which EGCG inhibits tumour invasion and angiogenesis may lead to the development of new therapeutic strategies, in addition to supporting the role of green tea as a cancer chemopreventive agent.

Green tea helps protect against breast cancer by enhancing glucuronization of estrogens in the liver, a process through which estrogens are rendered inactive by being conjugated with glucuronic acid, a form in which they are excreted from the body. 

Also, a study done at the University of Shizuoka in Japan found that epigallocatechin gallate (in green tea) does in fact inhibit the secretion of collagenases by tumor cells (in this study, highly metastatic lung cancer cells), thus arresting their ability to invade normal tissue.

Now, I would stay that benefits outweigh the risks if green tea is estrogenic which I have not read so far 

May 3, 2012 04:06PM abigail48 wrote:

no it's definitely not, my error, my error, I read phytochemicals.  now gonna make my 2nd mega green tea for today, & a few T of olive leaf decoction.  great post, maud.

May 3, 2012 04:09PM Ruby- wrote:

Enjoy that cuppa Abi Wink

May 3, 2012 04:11PM abigail48 wrote:

it vv bitter but I've never minded bitter.  it does contain a bit of white rice, I guess to prevent caking

May 3, 2012 04:19PM Ruby- wrote:

I'm sure you know not to pour boiling water on green tea which makes it less bitter Cool

Page 62 of 185 (1,846 results)

Scroll to top button