Topic: Alternative Treatment

Forum: Alternative Medicine — This forum is a safe, judgement-free place to discuss Alternative medicine. Alternative medicine refers to treatments that are used INSTEAD of standard, evidence-based treatment. Breastcancer.org does NOT recommend or endorse alternative medicine.

Posted on: Aug 8, 2011 10:32AM

Posted on: Aug 8, 2011 10:32AM

dougbrimor wrote:

Has anyone used alternative treatments such as Lorriane Day, Chris Beat Cancer, The Hallelujah Diet and skipped the cookie cutter 6 weeks of radiation and five years of Tamoifen?  I am so confused , even the 2011 cancer book that the radaition department gave me in my red folder states that radiation can cause a second cancer, that they are working on improving these satatics.  I read the whole book cover to cover and was just blown away by what they are admitting of these chemicals.  Anyway, would like to know if anyone else is swinging on this bridge?  Thanks

Dx 7/18/2011, <1cm, Stage I, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 63 of 185 (1,846 results)

May 3, 2012 04:48PM Kaara wrote:

I've never been in the chat rooms and I don't think, from what Charlene says, that I have any interest in going there.  It sounds like a group of women who are set in their ways and aren't interested in hearing another's point of view.  When I post on the conventional sites, I don't mention my alternative choices unless I'm asked.  There is lots to discuss without going there.  

There are a lot of nice women on all the different threads, but if someone doesn't understand an alternative approach, it is completely confusing and scary to them.

I'm getting close to the end of my IV infusions...3 more to go and I'm done.  Then I just watch my diet and take my supplements and hope for the best I guess.  I have a digital diagnostic mammo scheduled for the end of the month which is the alternate to the thermography I just did.  I will then have a baseline after the surgery for both for future reference.

Almost time to head to NC for the summer. 

Kaara Dx 11/14/2011, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 3, 2012 05:47PM abigail48 wrote:

you know I think it's red tea.  decaff, how does that compare?  the red part.  & bee propolis, how does it work for our trouble?  acidix? not? estrogenic? not?  I use bee pollen every day, pollen being a male substance

May 3, 2012 09:49PM sweetbean wrote:

Maud, seriously?  I know I've quoted  articles from the Block Center for starters.  Provided the links and everything.  Honestly, I went through it with my CAM-friendly ob-gyn as well  - she showed me how the phytoestrogens work similar to Tamox and also help process your body's estradiol down non-carcinogenic pathways.  she is big on diet as a prevention tool and she has found soy/flaxseed etc to be good.

Phytoestrogens are really weak forms of estrogen - they fool the cancer cells into thinking it is food.  The phytoestrogen fills up the cancer cell's receptors (like Tamox), but there isn't actually enough estrogen to feed the cancer.  So it works synergystically with Tamoxifen. 

Here's the thing - if you don't want to eat any form of phytoestrogen, then don't.  But it isn't harmful.  Xenoestrogens, on the other hand, are very bad.  

And what's up with the rude tone?  Seems uncalled for. 

Dx 11/18/2010, ILC, 5cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 2/15 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+,

May 3, 2012 10:33PM - edited May 3, 2012 10:38PM by Ruby-

Rude no, frustrated yes.  You push your soy eating habits here when it is proven time and time again that soy is strongly discouraged for ER +.  

I'm glad to see that most ladies are very prudent about this issue and that you are a lone voice out there.

For those who have not followed the most recent discussions on soy, here are the links:

community.breastcancer.org/for... 

“The cell’s intracellular cytoplasmic sea is an ocean of symphonic motion awash with incomprehensible complexity.” Howes, M.D., Ph.D Dx 2010, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 1, 3/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 3, 2012 10:36PM sweetbean wrote:

Yikes, you are really being unpleasant.  Fine, don't eat soy.  Sheesh. I'm out.  See you all later.

May 3, 2012 11:40PM Ang7 wrote:

Gosh Maud~

"you push your soy eating habits here."  Come on.  Sweetbean never pushed anything on anybody.

Very pleased Penguin Cold Cap user Dx 5/25/2009, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/4 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

May 3, 2012 11:47PM Ruby- wrote:

In this study (2011), we show that genistein can induce estrogen-dependent MCF-7 tumor cell growth and increase breast cancer-associated aromatase expression and activity in vitro

www.mendeley.com/research/geni... 

Dietary genistein negated/overwhelmed the inhibitory effect of TAM on MCF-7 tumor growth, lowered E2 level in plasma, and increased expression of E-responsive genes (e.g., pS2, PR, and cyclin D1)

http://www.mendeley.com/research/dietary-genistein-negates-the-inhibitory-effect-of-tamoxifen-on-growth-of-estrogendependent-human-breast-cancer-mcf7-cells-implanted-in-athymic-mice/

Tons more studies like those above

Unpleasant, no.  You are stirring the pot

“The cell’s intracellular cytoplasmic sea is an ocean of symphonic motion awash with incomprehensible complexity.” Howes, M.D., Ph.D Dx 2010, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 1, 3/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 4, 2012 12:38AM Ang7 wrote:

Thank you Nancynow.  Good article.  I believe that Sweetbean also gave credible information with her findings...

Very pleased Penguin Cold Cap user Dx 5/25/2009, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/4 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

May 4, 2012 06:47AM sweetbean wrote:

Thank you, ladies!  *warm fuzzies*

Maud, I really don't think that voicing another opinion is stirring the pot.  Stirring the pot is when someone comes on the board, says something like, "Chemo will kill you" or "Alt medicine is for idiots" and then leaves.  Simply voicing another opinion about what is admittedly a controversial topic is not stirring the pot.  It's having a debate  - there's a difference.  Especially since there are studies to back up my beliefs and I have posted links, although maybe not every time this topic has come up, because it has been discussed ad nauseum.  I also have to say, I always think of the Alt boards as the place where we can have a free discussion.  Or at least, we are supposed to be able to do that.  Seems like it is just a place for women to get into fights.  Sad.

I would never eat processed soy, like soybean oil or soy protein isolate.  But yes, I do feel comfortable eating organic tofu, tempeh, etc and believe that eating those foods is beneficial.  And honestly, I feel bad when I see women going nuts trying to cut out everything that is estrogenic - it's so much work! I think everyone is better off focusing on the xenoestrogens and the processed phytoestrogens.  However, far be it from me to push my soy-eating habits like some sort of drug dealer.   (Seriously, that was a really weird way to put it.)  If you don't want to eat any soy or flaxseed, definitely don't do it.  

May 4, 2012 07:51AM - edited May 4, 2012 07:59AM by Ruby-

Nancynow, no doubt Monsanto is financing studies to promote soy, they own over 90% of its production worldwide

Stirring the pot, hum.... Do you mean like the Colonics thread on which you posted ? 

Sad indeed when calling someone rude and unpleasant to get one's point across 

Page 63 of 185 (1,846 results)

Scroll to top button