Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Coconut oil

Options
Hindsfeet
Hindsfeet Member Posts: 675
edited May 2015 in Alternative Medicine

http://www.cbn.com/media/player/index.aspx?s=/mp4/LJO190v1_WS

This is very encouraging. I need something right now to boost my immune system. This might just be what I need. It could

even help those who suffer with chemo brain...not sure, but maybe?

Comments

• kira1234
    kira1234 Member Posts: 754
    edited May 2012
    Options
    eveberry I love cocunut oil. I use it everywhere these days. It makes my skin feel so soft. Have to try it for cooking now!Smile
  • bluepearl
    bluepearl Member Posts: 133
    edited May 2012
    Options

Not a shred of scientific evidence to support the claims. It cures everything apparently, first sign of snake oil advertising. I would hazard a guess that it is not heart healthy either. Best way to boost your immune system is healthy diet.....interestingly too....lower caloric inteake...and exercise.

• pupmom
    pupmom Member Posts: 1,032
    edited May 2012
    Options

bluepearl, coconut oil is EXTREMELY heart UNhealty. My husband who has a family history of heart disease and takes meds for high cholesterol, won't touch it. 

• candygurl
    candygurl Member Posts: 24
    edited May 2012
    Options

Coconut sounds impressive to me. SmileWebMD Coconut Oil Overview "...Coconut oil is used for diabetes, heart disease, chronic fatigue, Crohn's disease, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), thyroid conditions, energy, and boosting the immune system. Ironically, despite coconut oil's high calorie and saturated fat content, some people use it to lose weight and lower cholesterol.

Coconut oil is sometimes applied to the skin as a moisturizer and to treat a skin condition called psoriasis."

www.webmd.com/./ingredientmono-1092-COCONUT%20OIL.aspx...Coconut Oil Benefits: When Fat Is Good For You
    "...It may be surprising for you to learn that the naturally occurring saturated fat in coconut oil is actually good for you and provides a number of profound health benefits, such as: Improving your heart health.(3)Boosting your thyroid. (4) Increasing your metabolism. Promoting a lean body and weight loss if needed.• Supporting your immune system. (5) Coconut oil even benefits your skin when applied topically and has been found to have anti-aging, regenerative effects. So, what are coconut oil's secrets to success?..."www.huffingtonpost.com/dr./coconut-oil-benefits_b_821453.htmlBeneficial effects of virgin coconut oil on lipid parameters and in vitro LDL oxidation.www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15329324In vitro antimicrobial properties of coconut oil on Candida www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17651080What Oil Should You be Cooking With, and Which Should You Avoid? articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/./cooking-oil.aspx - United States
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 1,017
    edited August 2012
    Options

Yorkiemom

Organic coconut oil IS heart healthy.  Was a "myth" for years that it wasn't.  If you check Livestrong, and several of the major cancer centers which have Nutritional information, it is, along with extra virgin olive oil, suggested as the oil of choice. Tastes delicious too.

Fabulous skin moisturizer.

• sweetbean
    sweetbean Member Posts: 433
    edited May 2012
    Options

I can never decide about coconut oil.  Dr. Block is opposed and I really respect his opinion.  But a lot of naturopaths and holistic health counselors really like it.

Edited to add:  I just deleted the following two posts because BCO went crazy and posted the same thing three times.

• sweetbean
    edited May 2012
    Options

I can never decide about coconut oil.  Dr. Block is opposed and I really respect his opinion.  But a lot of naturopaths and holistic health counselors really like it.

• sweetbean
    edited May 2012
    Options

• Jejik
    Jejik Member Posts: 26
    edited May 2012
    Options

I used coconut oil on my scalp during chemo, loved it. Never tried ingesting it though.

• pupmom
    pupmom Member Posts: 1,032
    edited May 2012
    Options

You'll never convince my husband of that. He says the current studies supporting coconut oil are paid for by the coconut oil industry. 

Husband just gave me the June 2012 edition of "Nutrition Action Health Letter." Read the article. After researching coconut oils benefits on weight loss, preventing Alzheimer's or not damaging one's heart, here's the bottom line quote on heart disease:

"It's bad stuff," says Cornell University researcher Tom Brenna. "This kind of coconut oil jacks up cholesterol levels in laboratory animals.

About ten years ago, "virgin" coconut oil started to become a popular alternative.  Proponents of this "cold-pressed" virgin coconut oil say that it's a healthier more natural fat than conventional oil. But there's little evidence for that.

For one thing, both virgin and conventional coconut oils contain the same saturated fats. In fact, their chemical compositions are so similar that only trained eperts can tell them apart, using color, aroma, and taste. 

Since polynsaturated oils lower LDSs and coconut oil raises LDLs, we can't recommend that people replace olive, canola, or other liquid oils with coconut oil." 

• FireKracker
    FireKracker Member Posts: 5,858
    edited May 2012
    Options

I use it in my hair as a tx.wonderful.i eat a small spoon every day as per my pharm/alternate advisor.love it.I cook with it.tastes wonderful.I use it on my face,my skin never looked so good.

Nutivia is the best one...

BTW the small spoon i eat every day is for my stomach.

I also drink every day coconut water.yummy.

• Hindsfeet
    edited May 2012
    Options

My question is how many of those who disagree with the coconut oil actually listened to the u-tube I posted? BTW...it doesn't say it cures cancer. It is one of many good foods that is good for our overall health. For me, I can use all the extra help right now, especially while taking herceptin.   

Someone sent this U-tube  by e-mail, on coconut oil, this morning. I found it quite interesting. After listening to it I made myself a flax seed pancake, and for the topping I used organic coconut oil. I haven't used the coconut oil in quite a while. I will use it in my smoothies as well.

• sweetbean
    edited May 2012
    Options

Yes, for me, I just can't get past the saturated fat content.  I know people say that it is a healthier type of fat, but all that saturated fat really gives me pause.  I'm going to start using it on my skin, though.  But I stick with olive oil for cooking and canola or grapeseed oil for baking. 

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,747
    edited May 2012
    Options

Don't know about eating it, but I use it on my skin and naturally curly, but dry, hair. It's starting to get warm here so I' ll need to keep it in the fridge. Caryn

• Hindsfeet
    edited May 2012
    Options
  • Hindsfeet
    edited May 2012
    Options

Aren't saturated fats the enemy?

No, in fact they're absolutely necessary for a whole host of bodily functions.

• Saturated fats are crucial for cell membrane structure and integrity.
    • They are a valuable source of fat soluble vitamins, such as A, D, and K, which are deficient in most North American diets, and these vitamins are necessary for hormone regulation, reproduction, immunity, bone health and much more.
    • Strong bone development requires saturated fats, which regulate calcium levels.
    • Saturated fat makes cells more resistant to oxidative damage.
    • As well, saturated fats are far more stable at high temperatures than other fats, so they are unlikely to become oxidized and turn into cell-damaging free radicals (as polyunsaturated vegetables oils frequently do).
    • More than half of the brain consists of saturated fat and cholesterol, and these fats also comprise a large part of the myelin sheath that surrounds nerve fibers and ensures proper message relaying between the brain and nervous system.
    • Saturated fats contain fatty acids such as lauric acid, myristic acid and caprylic acid, which are antifungal, antimicrobial and antiviral, and all contribute towards a stronger immune system.
    • Saturated fats are actually GOOD for hearth health, and lower a substance called Lp(a), while increasing good cholesterol (HDL).
  • Hindsfeet
    edited May 2012
    Options

Coconut Oil's Secret Ingredient

50 percent of the fat content in coconut oil is a fat rarely found in nature called lauric acid.

Your body converts lauric acid into monolaurin, which has anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-protozoa properties.[9]

Monolaurin is a monoglyceride which can actually destroy lipid coated viruses such as:

• HIV, herpes
    • Measles
    • Influenza virus
    • Various pathogenic bacteria
    • Protozoa such as giardia lamblia.

Lauric acid is a powerful virus and gram-negative bacteria destroyer, and coconut oil contains the most lauric acid of any substance on earth!

Capric acid, another coconut fatty acid present in smaller amounts, has also been added to the list of coconut's antimicrobial components.

• Hindsfeet
    edited May 2012
    Options

It is now known that the process of hydrogenation creates "trans fatty acids" (TFAs), which are toxic entities that enter cell membranes, block utilization of essential fatty acids (EFAs) and impede cell functionality. TFAs also cause a rise in blood cholesterol. These substances are not present in natural coconut oil.

In other words, a study based on hydrogenated coconut oil has no relevance to the non-hydrogenated coconut milk or coconut oil that you eat.

Widespread studies of coconut-consuming populations such as those found in Polynesia and Sri Lanka, show that "dietary coconut oil does not lead to high serum cholesterol nor to high coronary heart disease mortality or morbidity. Other studies show no change in serum cholesterol level from coconut oil. And if it is true that the herpes virus and cytomegalovirus have a causative role in the initial formation of atherosclerotic plaques, coconut oil may be beneficial in preventing heart disease.

For further reading: Mary G. Enig, Coconut: In Support of Good Health in the 21st Century http://www.thaifoodandtravel.com/features/cocgood.html

• luv_gardening
    luv_gardening Member Posts: 362
    edited May 2012
    Options

According to the video coconut oil raises HDL, the GOOD cholesterol. I haven't checked that with independent sources yet though.

I started taking some a few months ago as my word memory is declining rapidly and my mother has Alzheimer's, a dreadful condition that strips people's memory, their life as they know it and their dignity.  Shame she's in care so I can't sneak her some every day.  I can't get past the bad taste though.  I never liked the taste or smell of coconut but know that others love it.

I'm surprised at the disbelief when evidence is clearly presented in the video.  Why do people need to see "scientific evidence" when the response is so strong from many individuals getting help for their loved ones?  Don't those people's lives and health count?  We're not talking dangerous or expensive treatments, just coconut oil for goodness' sake.  It's no different to many on these forums getting Metformin prescriptions without much proof, only that's a drug with unpleasant SE's.

• Hindsfeet
    edited May 2012
    Options

Joy, do you like maple surup? If you do, mix coconut oil with maple surup and you'll hardly notice it. You can put it on pancakes. You can add the mixture to smoothies as well. I had a lot of coconut when on an anti-fungal diet that I almost came to hate it. I'm going to try to take at least a table spoon a day. I used it for cooking tonight and my husband wasn't so fond of a rice, broccoli and beef cooked in coconiut oil. :)

I wonder if coconut milk does the same thing as the oil?

• luv_gardening
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Eve, I'm sure it has to be the oil. They seem to take several spoonfuls a day according to the You Tube videos.  Yell   I looked for maple syrup before and they all had glucose or similar added.  I haven't looked in a health food shop yet though.  We seem to pay high prices here for so many similar products.  I'll have to put my thinking cap on.  There must be some pleasant way to get the medicine down.
  • luv_gardening
    edited May 2012
    Options

This long but informed comment was posted after the OP video.

Quote... 

"As a professor of nutrition who teaches metabolism I'd like to suggest a few things.
    1) It's interesting and promising to see cases in which the production of ketone bodies appears to reduce some symptoms of Alzheimer's, however it is unlikely that this is a due to a direct effect of lack of insulin to help get glucose into brain cells. Glucose gets into brain cells using a glucose transporter -- but unlike many other cell types, the glucose transporter in brain cells is not dependent upon insulin, as it is in muscle and adipose tissue. This does not mean that ketone bodies are not important, it just means that's not the mechanism. The truth is that we really don't know why the brain cells are not taking up and using glucose for energy in a normal way -- it could be the person is not making sufficient transporters for glucose, or not converting glucose to energy once glucose is in the cell. Whatever the reason for the lack of ability to use glucose, ketone bodies can overcome this problem as the brain can use them without glucose transporters, and metabolize them by a different pathway than glucose (which uses glycolysis as the first part of metabolism) whereas fatty acids use beta oxidation as the first part of metabolism.
    2) Although coconut oil, which contains medium chain triglycerides (MCT) which are absorbed differently than long chain triglycerides (LCT) -- the fatty acids from MCT go directly through the portal vein to the liver whereas the MCT are absorbed and made into triglycerides in the intestinal cells and travel in the lymph in chylomicrons -- the liver (which is the organ that makes ketones) -- will not make a lot of ketones if glucose levels are high. Thus, for this to work, one would also have to be on a low carbohydrate diet. On a low carbohydrate diet stored triglycerides in fat break down, go to the liver and form LOTS of ketone bodies -- much more than could be achieved with a few tablespoons of coconut oil. Blood glucose levels are low, and ketone bodies are high, and the brain uses ketone bodies.
    3) What is NOT desirable is to stay on a high carbohydrate diet and attempt to form ketone bodies at the same time. That is what can happen during diabetes when blood glucose is high, and glucose can't get out of the blood into muscle cells or fat cells (ineffective insulin), the cells get the signal that they are starving because they don't have glucose and they start breaking down triglycerides for energy and one has high glucose and high ketones at the same time. This is not a normal physiological condition and can lead to undesirable consequences.
    Bottom line is: diabetics with ineffective insulin should not attempt to induce ketosis and otherwise "normal" individuals should not attempt to induce ketosis by taking significant amounts of MCT without accompanying the MCT with a ketogenic, low carbohydrate diet.

Sorry for being so long winded but I really felt a professional obligation to write."  end Quote

• shaah2468
    shaah2468 Member Posts: 6
    edited May 2012
    Options

I have been taking a teaspoon of virgin organic coconut oil daily but have not noticed anything different.  Unfortunatley it did nothing for chemo brain either.  But when I was on chemo I suffered from badly dry hands and lips which were cracking and applying coconut oil helped alot.

• luv_gardening
    edited May 2012
    Options

Apparently they start with two tablespoons a day and work up to six, so one teaspoon won't help much.

• vickilf
    vickilf Member Posts: 17
    edited May 2012
    Options

I use organic coconut oil everyday.

I put it in my oatmeal

Put on my hair for 20 mins. before my shower (a conditioner)

Put on my skin. When my lips are dry, makes them soft again.

Breathing problems from Asthma, helps.

I've used coconut oil for years.

• voraciousreader
    voraciousreader Member Posts: 3,696
    edited May 2012
    Options

I have experience with the manipulation of fatty acids in the diet because the DH has a rare metabolic genetic muscular dystropy that affects the breakdown of fatty acids in his body.  What Joylieswithin wrote about the professor of nutrition is correct!  Since the DH has a defect in long chain fatty acid metabolism, he was initially put on a high carbohydrate diet, low fat, low protein.  All it did was make his tryglicerides go off the chart.  Then we switched to MCT oil which was a medium chain fatty acid, and reduced his carbs.  That didn't work either.  He now takes triheptanoin oil, which is an odd-carbon number, medium chain fatty acid, and he is on a low carb, high protein diet, which seems to work for him.  That is, his body is capable of creating energy in the mitochondria that fuels his body without causing other issues, such as elevated cholesterol, tryglicerides or diabetes.

Considering that we work with the most brilliant researchers and clinicians, I cannot underscore how difficult it is to manipulate the body's metabolism to affect POSITIVE results. Nor can I underscore enough how simple manipulations can cause great harm.   Furthermore, we could NEVER do what we do without the help of this dedicated group.   He is monitored very carefully.  Furthermore, we measure everything that he ingests down to the gram and his diet is changed accordingly. 

• Hindsfeet
    edited May 2012
    Options

I'm starting with a few tablespoons of coconut oil hopefully eventually will go to six tablespoons. I gargled with it before going to bed. My oncologist thought my canker sores could be related to a herpie outbreak, although I have no cold sores at least not lately. The idea that it could erraticate viruses is encouraging. Mouth sores right now is what is motivating me to do the whole coconut diet. I have pretty much given up bread in that I'm allergic to gluten or don't tolerate it well. Fruit is my weaknesses although when you have mouth sores you can't eat surgar at all. Too painful.

Appreciate Joy and VR your contribution to understanding of ketone and fatty acids.

• cp418
    cp418 Member Posts: 359
    edited May 2012
    Options

Excellent suggestion to add to oatmeal!  Great links and information about coconut oil!  Thanks for posting it!

• candygurl
    candygurl Member Posts: 24
    edited May 2012
    Options

How to Detox with Coconut Oil

A coconut oil cleanse is a very simple detoxification method that replaces regular food with coconut oil, usually for about 3-7 days. Start your day with two tablespoons of coconut oil and take 1-2 tablespoons throughout the day as necessary for up to 14 tablespoons total each day.

Take the coconut oil plain if you enjoy it that way, but those who can't tolerate swallowing the oil straight can mix it with warm lemon water or plain organic yogurt if necessary. You can use stevia if you'd like to sweeten the lemon water or yogurt, but no sugar should be consumed during the cleanse. In his book Coconut Cures, Dr. Bruce Fife adds that you can eat up to four ounces of fresh coconut meat daily while on the detox if needed.

The best kind of coconut oil to use to detoxify is organic, raw extra virgin coconut oil. This type of oil should be completely unrefined, expeller- or cold-pressed, unbleached and not deodorized. This ensures you are getting the maximum natural benefits from your coconut oil.

If you have never taken coconut oil before, then you'll want to let your body adjust by slowly incorporating it into your diet before trying a coconut oil detox. Start with 1/2-1 teaspoon three times per day. Gradually work your way up to 1-2 tablespoons three times daily. It may take two weeks to work up to the full amount. When you feel comfortable taking this much coconut oil, then you should be ready to start a coconut oil detox.

Some people will experience "die-off" symptoms when they begin a coconut oil detox. These symptoms are often flu-like, including headaches, joint stiffness, dizziness and foggy-thinking. It may not feel so good, but it's a sign that your body is ridding itself of harmful toxins like fungal organisms. Die-off symptoms usually only last for 3-5 days, but you can ease them by gradually introducing coconut oil to your diet before doing a detox.

During a coconut oil detox, it's important to drink plenty of filtered water to nourish the body and facilitate cleansing benefits. Here is a recipe for a delicious drink that can replenish you during a cleanse:

1 cup pure lemon juice
    6 cups filtered water
    1 teaspoon sea salt

The lemon juice has cleansing properties, and the sea salt replaces minerals that may be lost during a cleanse. Add stevia for a sweeter taste, but do not sweeten with any kind of sugar.

Here are just four types of conditions coconut oil can combat during a detox:

- Candida. In modern society, candida overgrowth is almost an epidemic. More people are experiencing systemic candida, when the problem spreads throughout the body and causes a myriad of unpleasant side effects. A coconut oil detox is completely void of sugar and other carbohydrates, which effectively starves off all candida in the system. People who suffer from candida will notice many conditions improve or disappear after a coconut oil detox, including sugar cravings, fatigue, eczema, acne, repeat sinus infections and poor concentration.

- Fungal infections. Often connected with candida, repeat fungal infections like ringworm and jock itch are linked to an imbalance of bacteria and fungal organisms in the body. The lauric acid and caprylic acid in coconut oil are antifungal, so a coconut oil detox is an effective way to cleanse the entire system of fungal growth. Many people with fungal conditions report a complete recovery within the cleansing period.

- Digestive conditions. A coconut oil detox can help banish digestive conditions like irritable bowl syndrome (IBS) and leaky gut syndrome by restoring health and balance to the digestive system.

- Viruses. Lauric acid, which is found in abundance in coconut oil, is converted into monolaurin in the body, which has strong antiviral properties that can protect against and even destroy lipid-coated viruses like herpes and influenza.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/026529_coconut_oil.html#ixzz1wD91CETn

• sweetbean
    edited May 2012
    Options

Not to beat a dead horse, but 14 tablespoons would be 196 grams of saturated fat.  Even if it is a healthy form of saturated fat, that would seem excessive.  If someone tries this, please report back the results.  I'm especially curious about weight gain, etc.  It would seem impossible to NOT gain weight, but maybe I am wrong.