Join Us

We are 221,201 members in 83 forums discussing 161,896 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Treating estrogen responsive cancer naturally

Forum: Alternative Medicine —

This forum is a safe, judgement-free place to discuss Alternative medicine. Alternative medicine refers to treatments that are used INSTEAD of standard, evidence-based treatment. Breastcancer.org does NOT recommend or endorse alternative medicine.

Posted on: Aug 6, 2012 06:37PM - edited Aug 8, 2012 10:31AM by Natkat

Natkat wrote:

Hello please post here ONLY if you are researching or using natural tx to address hormone responsive cancer. Please stay on topic - no posts about standard drugs or ovary removal. No posts about general anti cancer. Thread for people who need alternatives SPECIFIC to hormone responsive cancers

Will share my own research and looking foward to hearing about yours
Thank you

Dx 6/2012, ILC, 4cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+

Page 85 of 85 (2,529 results)

Posts 2521 - 2529 (2,529 total)

Apr 6, 2021 06:06PM MidwestSmiles wrote:

Hi Beauties!

I just wanted to share in response to a few things on this thread. I was diagnosed pre-menopausal in 2017. I decided to hold off on surgery because I believe that my cancer is a systemic issue and I wanted to find what worked best to heal my body so I could live a looooonnng life. I was only 39 at dx with no family history. I have tried lots of treatments thus far, both allopathic and naturopathic. After four years of trying coffee enemas, juicing, fasting, IV Vitamin C, Mistletoe, Myomin/Angiostop, IP6, DIM, Calcium D-Glucarate, Breast Defend (more on that in a sec), energy healing, acupuncture, plant medicine, cbd, rso, and more, all these natural treatments healed my body, my mind, spirit and kept any metastasis away, but the ONLY treatments that shrank my tumor was letrozole, zoladex and Ibrance. I really wanted to be the all-natural woman whose cancer disappeared naturally, but after a few years and a little progression, I decided that I needed more conventional help. I started using western medicine as a way to shrink my tumor before surgery. I have finally scheduled a surgery for this month and I will then be moving into the next phase, joining all of you...maintaining health for life!

I tried Breast Defend, which was such a help for the terrible hot flashes, night sweats and lack of libido from endocrine therapy (zoladex and letrozole), until it gave me a PERIOD while I was on the estrogen blockers. Ruh roh!

So, I would just suggest tracking your hormone levels if you are pre-menopausal with at-home saliva hormone tests, and work with a naturopath or naturopathic oncologist, because herbs can be very powerful. Oh, I also plan to continue to get my CTCs tested (Biocept), as well as follow up breast exams. And although I couldn't find natural treatments to shrink or get rid of my cancer (I am very strongly estrogenic), I am grateful that I know what helps me to feel healthy and most importantly, to heal.

I wish you every one of you the best, and I'm happy to chat about any and all of these treatments. There's a lot of options out there :)

Dx 2/22/2017, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Apr 7, 2021 05:14AM dtad wrote:

midwestsmiles...so happy you found a treatment plan that works for you. We all have to make our own informed decisions. Just wanted to say something about Breast Defend. It s suppose to balance your estrogen levels by lowering the bad estrogen that causes breast cancer but not the good estrogen we all need for our vital organs such as brain, heart and skin. So I'm not surprised you got your period at your young age. Hope you continue to feel better.

Dx 3/20/2015, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 4/10/2015, ILC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/21/2015 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant

Apr 7, 2021 10:31AM LillyIsHere wrote:

Thank you for sharing: BreastDefend™ prevents breast-to-lung cancer metastases in an orthotopic animal model of triple-negative human breast cancer . Research started in 2011, even though it is not toxic, it is not prescribed by MO.

“Within five years, cancer will have been removed from the list of fatal maladies.” That was the optimistic promise to U.S. President William Howard Taft in 1910 when he visited Buffalo’s Gratwick Laboratory, “What’s taking so long?” Dx 7/31/2019, ILC, Left, <1cm, Stage IIA, 2/5 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery 9/19/2019 Lymph node removal: Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic ovary removal; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 11/30/2019 Femara (letrozole)

Apr 8, 2021 04:30AM dtad wrote:

Lillyishere...A conventional MO would never prescribe a supplement. They know very little about them. It just wasn't a part of the curriculum in med school.

Dx 3/20/2015, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 4/10/2015, ILC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/21/2015 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant

Apr 8, 2021 06:00AM Salamandra wrote:

The other issue with supplements is that they are not regulated. So even if an MD felt like there was evidence to support a certain supplement, how could they know what to tell you to buy? Any of them could have anything in it. That makes a lot of sense to me.

For my own supplement shopping, I use consumerlab.com to hopefully make sure I'm getting something like what I want to be getting. I also read all their reviews, and in general the evidence for most supplements is mixed and equivocal. I look at it as a fun thing to try and bonus if it works. But I've had the experience where I felt something worked and then I couldn't get that brand any more and was never able to replace it, because it's not standardized and regulated.

Dx at 39. 1.8cm. Oncotype 9. Dx 9/19/2018, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 10/17/2018 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Hormonal Therapy 11/1/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy 12/3/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/18/2019 Fareston (toremifene)

Apr 9, 2021 05:17PM PebblesV wrote:

Hi all - so my oncologist has suggested and OK'd a one month break on Tamoxifen for me while I get the COVID vaccine (due to concerns with blood clot issues experienced by some since that's also a side effect of Tamoxifen). Anyways, I thought this would be a good time to stay tuned in to this thread as during the one-month break I want to be as healthy as possible to help keep cancer at bay. I recently had a completely clear mammogram in March so this seems like a good time to take a break. I do plan to resume Tamoxifen after a month, and when I asked my oncologist about extending the break to 6 weeks, he didn't feel good about that, so it's just one month.

I'll be doing some of the things listed here re: clean eating, regular exercise, certain things to eat and certain things to avoid...

https://www.prevention.com/health/a20473170/preven...

https://www.verywellhealth.com/diet-and-breast-can...

https://breastcancernow.org/information-support/fa...

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/316720

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/breast-cancer...

Dx 9/7/2018, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 2/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 9/19/2018 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 10/29/2018 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Apr 9, 2021 06:24PM canadaliz wrote:

Hey Sisters,

You can see my profile from my tag but I didn't add that I had a hepatotoxic response to Tamox which resulted in acute onset cirrhosis. I was decompensated but have held on at compensated since August 2018 when my liver failed. All so frustrating for a non-drinker! Anyway, I know I will need a transplant at some point but must be cancer free for 5 years. My liver is now showing signs of distress and I may have to discontinue letrozole. I wondered if when you eat broccoli and cauliflower is it best that they are raw or just blanched or cooked well for best effect? Cheers, Liz

Letrozole Dx 1/11/2018, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/13/2018 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy Whole-breast

Apr 11, 2021 02:00PM PAKNC wrote:

Canadaliz,

If possible, I would recommend that you establish a relationship with an integrative nutritionist / functional nutritionist. In the US, there are more and more of these nutritionists and nurse practitioners offering solutions as a complement or sometimes alternative to conventional drug therapy. If not available in Canada, zoom meetings may be an option for you. I have been working with a nutritionist who is part of the integrative medicine department of a well-known academic health system. She has a PhD. I use some supplements (vitamins mainly) but I order through her supplier and based on her recommendations, so I get the best quality.

Tamoxifen damaged my liver as well, but I seem to be turning things around after stopping the drug and following a low carb, low sugar diet, so far at least. My nutritionist also advises me on vitamins / minerals / supplements that I can take to support my liver. She of course recommends food as the best source and any supplement recommendations are optional. Her recommendations are based on blood draws that analyzed the micronutrients in my body. So, what works for me, may not work for you. Just like cancer - each one of us has a unique biology so the efficacy of the drugs may vary from person to person.

Diagnosed at 56. Did active surveillance in clinical trial + Tamoxifen for 6 months, cryoablation in 02/21 due to DCIS progression. Stopped Tamoxifen, per provider's ok - turned prediabetic, poor responder. Weighing AI options. Dx 3/23/2020, DCIS, Left, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER+/PR+ Dx 5/29/2020, DCIS, Left, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER+/PR+ Hormonal Therapy 7/1/2020 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Apr 11, 2021 06:01PM PebblesV wrote:

PAKNC - great advice, and canadaliz - thank you for sharing your experience. I think it was you or someone else who posted about this issue on another board, and so thanks to the warning, I made sure to get blood tests for a liver function panel before I started tamoxifen and after I started taking it (measures your protein, albumin, bilirubin, AST, ALT and other levels related to liver function). We do all have our own experiences and I appreciate the advice so that I knew what to monitor. So far for me everything regarding liver function has stayed within the normal range. I am also making efforts for a low carb, low refined sugars diet but I do waver sometimes!

Dx 9/7/2018, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 2/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 9/19/2018 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 10/29/2018 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Page 85 of 85 (2,529 results)