We are 224,421 members in 82 forums discussing 157,747 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Is there a natural estrogen blocker? help!

Forum: Alternative Medicine —

This forum is a safe, judgement-free place to discuss Alternative medicine. Alternative medicine refers to treatments that are used INSTEAD of standard, evidence-based treatment. Breastcancer.org does NOT recommend or endorse alternative medicine.

Posted on: Apr 26, 2013 10:40PM

lilymadeline wrote:

I just joined this board, and this is my first post. Hello everybody! and I need help, please are there any natural options for the estrogen blockers...those awful pills from hell? I have estrogen positive BC stage IV mets to bones...I have been on Arimidex and Xeloda for years, taking a break but the cancers are getting active again so my oncologist was suggesting that maybe I try a combination of Aromasin/Exemestane and Afinitor instead to see if the side effects were any better. I did not like the Arimidex and Xeloda but I am very nervous about starting the Aromasin because the side effects sound worse than the Arimidex....well they all can have bad side effects and I hate gambling with my life. BUT I want to have a little quality of life as well. Any ideas? Has anybody tried any natural options to the hormone blockers? Honestly the hormone blockers are worse for me than the Xeloda/chemo pills. I've been on Tamoxifen as well and Falsoidex...couldn't tolerate either. 

Page 5 of 5 (124 results)

Posts 121 - 124 (124 total)

Apr 6, 2018 11:52AM SoLinda wrote:

Hi there! Samorodun, I was unable to tolerate the effects of AIs (anastrozole and letrozole) and only took them for 3 years and 3 months. Yes, when I went off the AI, all the pain disappeared in stages. But it was very quick and I absolutely to not regret my decision to go off them!!! Quality of life returned and since I went off these nasty meds, I was better able to lead a life where I can exercise and, even better - sleep :-) I don't take any supplements, but I do eat a piece of fresh curcumin (grown in my garden and ground up with a garlic clove, olive oil and a little black pepper) every day.

Dx 6/29/2010, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/8 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 9/2/2010, DCIS, 5cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/8 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/2/2010 Lymph node removal: Left; Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Chemotherapy 1/28/2011 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil) Hormonal Therapy 6/14/2011 Arimidex (anastrozole), Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 8/21/2013 Femara (letrozole)

Nov 2, 2019 10:33AM CherokeeLady wrote:

My oncologist just prescribed anastrozole and I'm interested in finding natural alternative(s) to anastrozole due to the side effects. Before BC dx I had osteopenia, degenerative arthritis of spine, two ruptured discs, sciatica and still suffer from all now. I'm nearly 65 and am my disabled spouse's sole caregiver. After 10/2/19 lumpectomy I was dx with DCIS via post-op lab report. Rads recommended but, as radiologist told me this week, with DCIS they don't know whether rads knock it out or not "until you develop more BC symptoms" so I opted out of rads.

Ideas? Suggestions for anastrozole alternatives without debilitating side effects?

Thanks.

CherokeeLady Dx 7/19/2019, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Nov 2, 2019 11:32AM - edited Nov 2, 2019 11:33AM by exbrnxgrl

Hi,

I am also stage IV with bone metastasis. I have taken all 3 AI's and am currently on Aromasin. The se'shave been the same for me on all three, but clearly not as debilitating as yours. I manage with Alleve during the day and cannabis at night. Given that I've been NED for 8 years and I can manage the pain while living a fairly normal life, I'll stick with it.

Some people use a supplement called DIM. I don't think it is an equivalent to AI's but if you are miserable, it might be worth considering. Take care

Bilateral mx 9/7/11 with one step ns reconstruction. As of 11/21/11, 2cm met to upper left femur Dx 7/8/2011, IDC, Left, 4cm, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/7/2011 Lymph node removal: Left; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Dx 11/2011, IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 11/21/2011 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 11/21/2011 Bone Hormonal Therapy 6/19/2014 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane)

Nov 3, 2019 05:57AM windingshores wrote:

If the natural supplement worked at getting rid of estrogen, wouldn't the side effects be the same? I thought my side effects were from estrogen deprivation.

I have read (on the actual drug insert) that 20% of the usual dose of Femara is actually effective. My doc sometimes suggests half a dose to see if side effects get better. Or some people alternate days. With stage 4 you don't want to mess around but a half dose seems reasonable.

Dx 2/2015, DCIS/ILC/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery Lymph node removal; Mastectomy: Right Surgery Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left Hormonal Therapy

Page 5 of 5 (124 results)