We are 193,652 members in 81 forums discussing 143,546 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Alternative Medicine → Topic: Did you stop alcohol drinking?

Topic: Did you stop alcohol drinking?

Forum: Alternative Medicine —

This forum is a safe, judgement-free place to discuss Alternative medicine. Alternative medicine refers to treatments that are used INSTEAD of standard, evidence-based treatment. Breastcancer.org does NOT recommend or endorse alternative medicine.

Posted on: Feb 8, 2016 06:53AM

dani_katze wrote:

Hi,

I would like to know who has consider to stop alcohol once and for all...

I didn't know the risk that alcohol represents for breast cancer, until I have it and read something about it.

I used to think that I was a normal drinker... Now, I think I drink too much, and more considering that I have had breast cancer. That's why I am trying to stop it at all.

Any insight is welcome. Thank you for reading.

dani_katze

Daniela Dx 6/13/2011, DCIS, 4cm, 2/2 nodes, ER+ Surgery 8/17/2011 Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Nipple reconstruction, Nipple tattoo, Silicone implant, Tissue expander placement

Page 4 of 5 (141 results)

Posts 91 - 120 (141 total)

Jul 11, 2017 09:21PM - edited Jul 11, 2017 09:30PM by brigid_TO

This Post was deleted by brigid_TO.
Dx 11/2016, DCISM, >3cm DCIS, .1cm IDC, Grade 2, ER+, Lumpectomy 11/2016 Whole Breast Radiation Hypofractionated 12/2016 Hormonal Therapy 3/2017 Tamoxifen

Jul 12, 2017 01:47AM Traveltext wrote:

Divide Beesie's stats on women by 100 and there'll be a stat for me! Actually, with hardly any research at all on men with this disease, I'm thinking stats on men, drinking, and bc will be a ways away. Meanwhile I'll continue in the cohort that consumes a glass of wine with dinner nightly.

Have breast & prostate cancer. NED both. More on Male BC

Dx 03/14, IBC, L. 2cm, S IIIB, G 2B, ER+/PR+, HER2- FEC x3, Taxol x3

Mx & 2/23 nodes 07/14

Rads x 33 09/14 and now on Tamox

Jul 12, 2017 04:41AM dtad wrote:

Hi everyone...IMO it's important to differentiate between preventing BC and reducing recurrence rates once you have it. Once you have been diagnosed wit BC you are obviously then at risk for a recurrence. Alcohol has been shown to increase that risk in hormone positive BC. Yes, we all have to make our own informed decisions. Good luck to all.

Dx 3/20/2015, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 4/10/2015, ILC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/21/2015 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant

Jul 12, 2017 10:24AM Hopeful82014 wrote:

At least a decade ago I decided that the trickle of reports about the association of alcohol and breast cancer were unsettling enough that it made it smart to avoid alcohol until further notice. Obviously, I still got breast cancer but in the meantime I've felt better, completely eliminated the snacking that tends to go along with that evening glass of wine, and improved my body composition. That decision clearly wouldn't appeal to every one but I feel much better of for making that choice. Frankly, kicking the nighttime nibbling habit was the biggest unexpected benefit - I thought I'd need a 12-step program for that one! Instead, it just went away without ANY struggle. Now that was a gift! ;)

Dx 2014, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jul 12, 2017 10:40AM 7of9 wrote:

I have 3 drinking "occassions" per year I allow myself - I strive for 2 but it's been 3 this last year. My husband's aunt has a long term boyfriend who actually makes good, really good wine. They have a party every fall and I don't miss it. Then I allow myself one holiday (usually when my inlaws are annoying the sh!! out of me) and one other summer evening on the patio at my favorite restaurant. :)

If you're going through hell, keep on going. You might get out before the devil even knows you're there. Dx 1/18/2012, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/31/2012 Lymph node removal: Left; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 10/31/2012 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Dx 12/23/2015, IDC, Left, 2cm, Grade 2, 10/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/18/2016 Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary Surgery 1/18/2016 Prophylactic ovary removal Radiation Therapy 2/10/2016 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Chemotherapy 3/31/2016 Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)

Jul 15, 2017 09:29PM __asher__ wrote:

http://cebp.aacrjournals.org/content/early/2016/07...

Coupled with existing evidence, alcohol consumption is unlikely to have a substantial impact on mortality among breast cancer patients. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev; 1–6. ©2016 AACR.

Tina Dx 2/9/2016, IDC, Right, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (IHC) Targeted Therapy 2/22/2016 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Chemotherapy 2/22/2016 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Targeted Therapy 2/22/2016 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Surgery Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left Surgery Prophylactic ovary removal Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab) Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)

Jul 15, 2017 09:32PM Meow13 wrote:

Enjoy yourselves best medicine is to be happy but not to over do it.

Jul 16, 2017 05:00AM JoniB wrote:

I attend a symposium each year for breast cancer survivors. Someone always asks the question regarding alcohol and the answer had been that a glass was ok and that dry wine was better than sweet wine. After a report on alcohol came out this year I asked my oncologist about drinking, preparing to give it up completely. He said "everything in moderation".  I have decided to have a glass of wine if attending a wedding and occasionally when having dinner with friends. I stopped keep wine at home and this limits consumption. 

Jul 16, 2017 05:21PM edwards750 wrote:

Amen Joni. My motto too everything in moderation.

Diane

Jul 20, 2017 06:16AM claireinaz wrote:

Regarding the linked article above posted by asher, here's the full write-up, which is quite interesting. Among others, it seems "educated" women drink more than their counterparts. What I read from this article is that there really isn't, according to this research, much of a diff in survival among drinkers than non-drinkers. But the article pointed out the weaknesses in their research, too. It was an interesting read.

http://ascopubs.org/doi/full/10.1200/jco.2012.46.5...

9/29/11 ILC, 2 c. stage II grade 1, ER/PR+ HER2-, 6/11 nodes, lumpectomy, DDAC x 4, Taxol x 12, 33 rads, Tamoxifen/arimidex/aromasin, BMX/immed recon 7/3/13 "In the midst of winter, I found in me an invincible summer.” Albert Camus

Jul 20, 2017 09:45AM Lita57 wrote:

Thanks, Claire. I'll check it out.

As far as drinking, from what I've read over the years, there may be a correlation for SOME women. I tend to take all of this with a grain of salt. I know several women who were tea totalers, vegans, yoga enthusiasts who ate "clean," etc., and they STILL got cancer even tho they never touched a drop.

I also know women in their late 70s who religiously have their gin and tonics or their martinis every night (not a pitcher, mind you, but one or two drinks) and they're totally fine. No BC, no ANY type of cancer.

Not going on a rant here, suffice to say that once again it's always a crap shoot. And the next woman steps off a curb at the wrong time and gets run over by a bus. And another gets killed by a hit-and-run drunk driver. Call it fatalism, call it what ever you want, but when your number's up, your number's up. When you read the statistics, they all say "X" percent of women will have an increased risk if they drink and possibly get cancer at some point in their lives. What about that other, larger percent that won't no matter how much they drink? I took statistics in college, and Prof. Witte (gees, I still remember his name - guess I still have a few brain cells left after all the chemo), said it's very easy to manipulate data and creatively interpret mean, mode, and median averages, and then you have standard deviations, etc. A savvy statistician could say tea totalers, vegans, and yoga enthusiasts have a higher risk of getting cancer, too! It's the "one variable" correlation analysis. There are always more variables in a problem then we realize. As the old saying going, even a broken clock tells the correct time twice a day.

I still have a glass of wine or two during my off-cycle week, and I will continue to do so. I enjoy a glass of Chard on the backyard patio, or a nice Zin with a steak, and I'm not going to stop. It's part of my culture (half Italian) and part of my Quality of Life. I'm Stage IV, and I'm going to transition anyway regardless of whether or not I completely stop drinking wine.

Nerdy

Stage IV Occult, Amorphic right from the gate. New Brain Mets Aug 2017. I've been dragged into an arranged marriage that I didn't agree to, & divorce is totally off the table now that I'm married to Mr. Cancer. STAGE IV LIVES MATTER! Dx 4/14/2016, IDC, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver/other, ER+/PR+, HER2- Radiation Therapy 4/27/2016 External: Bone Targeted Therapy 5/15/2016 Chemotherapy 5/22/2016 Xeloda (capecitabine) Radiation Therapy 4/20/2017 External: Bone Dx 8/23/2017, IDC, 5cm, Stage IV, metastasized to brain, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 20, 2017 04:04PM Labtech47 wrote:

I love my beer! I would have a beer every evening after getting my dinner dishes done. After I was diagnosed in March, I didn't drink anything until 2 weeks ago. I am on 30 of my 35 Rads and started back to a beer every other evening. I am going to a wedding reception this weekend and plan to have a few beers. 😀

I don't think I can give up my beer totally. I enjoy it too much!

Dx 3/12/2017, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 4/11/2017 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast

Jul 20, 2017 10:04PM Meow13 wrote:

Labtech, my great grandmother would have a glass of beer everynight at 10pm. I think it helped her sleep she lived to 100 no cancer.

Jul 22, 2017 05:14PM Bellapam wrote:

I don't really drink much, maybe a little wine on the holidays (i still have leftover gluevine from this past Christmas). However, I have been considering taking up "moderate" drinking and trying marijuana since the lump appeared! 🐙

My results were benign! The members of BCO have been a great comfort during my testing and dx, so I want to stay around to "pay it forward" however I can.

Jul 22, 2017 05:20PM kira1234 wrote:

Bella I see you're new to the boards. At this point I'm praying you'll be b9 or not cancer. I know how stressful this period is having been through it myself. Hugs

Dx 6/2010, ILC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/8/2010 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 8/3/2010 Hormonal Therapy 10/5/2010 Aromasin (exemestane) Dx 2/2017, ILC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right

Jul 22, 2017 05:50PM - edited Jul 22, 2017 05:53PM by TampaBayBucsGirl

I love beer! I was trying a different local craft beer once a week before being diagnosed (Funky Buddha, Cigar City, Coppertail, etc.). I did this for about a year. We also went to Puerto Rico and drank a lot of rum drinks. My mother also makes this drink called "coquito" every year for Christmas (not this year). Scared

I didn't really think anything about it. I've never been big on alcoholic drinks until last year. I was diagnosed at the end of September. My husband asked me to stop after we read the articles about avoiding alcohol. I asked my MO about it the other day. He said he didn't want me drinking alcohol right now (not even occasionally). I think he meant during treatment. I may have to clarify that with him on my next visit. Especially after reading some of these recent articles.

I have to be honest. I still wonder if the alcohol consumption made it worse that year. Oh, and I did stop drinking after being diagnosed.

Dx 9/29/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (IHC) Surgery 10/25/2016 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Targeted Therapy 12/2/2016 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 12/2/2016 Taxol (paclitaxel) Hormonal Therapy 2/27/2017 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy 3/1/2017 Whole-breast: Breast

Jul 22, 2017 09:19PM ellentk wrote:

These links seem to indicate that one glass of wine a day is okay. I wonder why that result was only in the supplemental data and not included in the original study. Does anyone know

http://winefolly.com/update/wine-vs-breast-cancer-...

https://breastcancer-news.com/2017/01/25/wine-beer-friend-foe-breast-cancer/

Diagnosis: 12/16/11, IDC/DCIS/ADH, ICD: 7mm, Stage Ib, Grade 2; DCIS: EIC+, at least 9 cm; 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Oncotype 8. Surgery completed 2/17/12, 3 weeks prone radiation completed 4/13/12; started tamoxifen ax 5/22/12. Dx 12/16/2011, IDC, <1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 12/2013, ILC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/0 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Jul 22, 2017 09:25PM Lita57 wrote:

Tampa, I don't think trying a different beer or beers once a week or even twice a week is going to bring on cancer.

I'm hoping that one day they'll find some sort of gene, such as the "if you drink, you'll get bc" gene. Then young women can get tested and live their lives accordingly.Not everyone who drinks actually gets cancer, and we all know plenty of women who never drank or smoked and they STILL got cancer.

Stage IV Occult, Amorphic right from the gate. New Brain Mets Aug 2017. I've been dragged into an arranged marriage that I didn't agree to, & divorce is totally off the table now that I'm married to Mr. Cancer. STAGE IV LIVES MATTER! Dx 4/14/2016, IDC, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver/other, ER+/PR+, HER2- Radiation Therapy 4/27/2016 External: Bone Targeted Therapy 5/15/2016 Chemotherapy 5/22/2016 Xeloda (capecitabine) Radiation Therapy 4/20/2017 External: Bone Dx 8/23/2017, IDC, 5cm, Stage IV, metastasized to brain, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 23, 2017 01:58AM TampaBayBucsGirl wrote:

Lita, I agree with you because it sounds more logical. I just wonder sometimes about it, and only because I consumed more alcohol that year than any other year. I don't think it was the cause of it either. As you said, there are many people who don't drink or smoke that get the big C.

I like the idea of finding a gene to see if there's a genetic predisposition for cancer when consuming alcohol. I mean, some people have that predisposition that runs in their family for Type 2 Diabetes (if they eat or drink certain foods that are deemed bad for a diabetic). I know it would make me feel more comfortable about drinking again. Actually, I'm already feeling more comfortable about it (after reading all of this). I just need to wait until after treatment (once my MO clears it). I'm thinking it's because I'm still taking Herceptin.

Dx 9/29/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (IHC) Surgery 10/25/2016 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Targeted Therapy 12/2/2016 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 12/2/2016 Taxol (paclitaxel) Hormonal Therapy 2/27/2017 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy 3/1/2017 Whole-breast: Breast

Jul 23, 2017 05:51AM TampaBayBucsGirl wrote:

Okay, I'm going to be super duper honest with you about my alcohol consumption last year. Happy

They opened a Total Wine near my house. I found certain things that I hadn't seen before since my travels in Europe. I drank shots of Becherovka and Anís del Mono with my mother. It calmed my nerves. I also tried a French aperitif wine called Lillet Blanc. Yes, I bought a bottle of each. I like sweet wines and aperitifs, but all of these alcoholic beverages had a high ABV. The latter one was at 17%...LOL!

I'd like to get back to exploring different beverages one day soon. Oh, I love this topic!

Jul 23, 2017 02:51PM Lita57 wrote:

Tampa, I think MOs don't want us to drink when we initially go on chemo because of chemo's hammering of the liver.

Your liver is dealing with a LOT as it tries to clear the toxins out of your system. I didn't drink for about 7 mos when I was first Dx'd. I'm Stage IV, so I'll be on some sort of treatment for the rest of my life.

My MO ok'd me to drink "occasionally" after two scans showed mostly stability with only mild progression in the spine, ribs and pelvis, which is to be expected given my massive tumor load. So she cleared me as in maybe a glass or two for birthday, anniversary, holidays. But certainly not a glass of wine every night, which I honestly was doing b4 Dx. I love my Chardonnays and an occasional Zinfandel, but I don't drink at all during the "on-weeks" of my Xeloda pill-form chemo cycles. I will let myself have a glass or two on the "off week," making sure to drinks LOTS of water to help flush the liver and kidneys.

It's all about quality of life for me. I know when my liver gets worse (I have stable, inactive tumors there, for now), I will have to give it up for good, and at that point in the Stage IV metastatic game, I'll be ready to die.

Jul 23, 2017 03:12PM Freya wrote:

I've always enjoyed a drink. Not the rolling down drunk type, but a glass or two of something on the deck or with dinner. I didn't stop when dxd, everything in moderation is my mantra, whether it is food or drink.

My body has decided it doesn't like alcohol anymore though. It started a couple of months before my liver mets dx. This year I have tried a mouthful of wine on a couple of occasions, managed 2 mouthfuls of beer and a sip of a G & T. None of it went down well, so I have decided to not fight against it.

Dx 2009, ILC/IDC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver, Grade 3, 14/22 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 23, 2017 03:53PM TampaBayBucsGirl wrote:

Lita, you're an amazing woman!! I'm tearing up just reading your last message.

I've actually read many of your posts after I was diagnosed (back in September). You're a wealth of knowledge. I will take it all in moderation once I'm cleared as well. Yes, plenty of water is needed to flush out those toxins. I do notice a big difference when I'm not drinking enough water. Lately, I've been staying on top of that too.

Yes, quality of life is very important. I'm also very happy to here that the Zeloda is working. I know that words like "stability" and "mild progression" is very good at your stage. I am so happy that you can still enjoy a good wine every now & then, and I know you'll be enjoying many more (inactive liver tumor and all). I keep hoping and praying that there will be a drug one day that will knock all of this crap out (for everyone). I know that sounds silly, but I can't help feeling for anyone who has this disease (or any other disease for that matter). It really does change your entire life, and the way a person sees things. It brings a whole new meaning to "Living life to the fullest."

Jul 23, 2017 03:58PM TampaBayBucsGirl wrote:

Freya, I didn't see your post until now.  I feel the same way about your posts as well. I just wanted you both to know that.

Jul 23, 2017 04:07PM kira1234 wrote:

Feya my mom was like you enjoyed a drink nightly till diagnosed stage 4. She didn't stop because of the diagnosis but rather her body no longer accepted it.

Dx 6/2010, ILC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/8/2010 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 8/3/2010 Hormonal Therapy 10/5/2010 Aromasin (exemestane) Dx 2/2017, ILC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right

Jul 23, 2017 04:30PM TWills wrote:

TampaBayBucksGirl, just moved to this area 2 years ago and oh how I was loving all of the Breweries! Husband and I were on a mission to try them all and we still will:):) Love it here.

Chemotherapy 2/2/2016 AC + T (Taxol) Dx 11/2016, IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 1/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/13/2016 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right Surgery 7/10/2017 Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Radiation Therapy 7/31/2017 Whole-breast: Breast, Chest wall

Jul 23, 2017 05:00PM EastcoastTS wrote:

I just had a great Hefeweizen with dinner. ;)

Where is our QOL in this mess?

Dx@ 49. Oncotype: 14, BRCA 1/2- Dx 1/4/2017, ILC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 2/27/2017 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 9/7/2017 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Jul 23, 2017 05:00PM TampaBayBucsGirl wrote:

TWills - OMG, it is so hard to stay away from all these breweries. We've been living here for about 12 years now. I didn't really get into the whole craft beer scene until about a year ago. Our department goes out together once a month. Lately, we've just been settling on World of Beer since it's so close to our office. I've been getting their draft root beer instead.

Yes, I love it here too!

Did you hear that the Coppertail Brewery now serves food? The Stein & Vine opened a new location at their brewery. That's my next stop once I'm cleared.

Jul 23, 2017 05:49PM KB870 wrote:

I notice that after Chemo I could tolerate alcohol even less than before. We used to have an occasional glass of wine with dinner, maybe a bottle a month but now I can't drink a glass without feeling the effects. I like it though so I drink a little less. I have always been a little sensitive to it though.

Diagnosed at 62 when I was feeling great! Active swimmer, erger and more. Surgery 9/18/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Dx 10/6/2016, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (IHC) Surgery 10/30/2016 Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 11/28/2016 Taxol (paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 11/28/2016 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Radiation Therapy 4/3/2017 Multi-catheter: Breast

Jul 23, 2017 06:28PM TWills wrote:

TampaBayBucsGirl, I haven't been to either of those yet but they are on our list! We live on the other side of the Bay so we tend to go to the ones over here a lot, especially in Dunedin.

Chemotherapy 2/2/2016 AC + T (Taxol) Dx 11/2016, IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 1/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/13/2016 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right Surgery 7/10/2017 Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Radiation Therapy 7/31/2017 Whole-breast: Breast, Chest wall

Page 4 of 5 (141 results)