Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Holistic tx only--what Ive done

Options
pipers_dream
pipers_dream Member Posts: 187
edited January 2022 in Alternative Medicine

I've had several people PM and want to know what I did for treatment and I've been bad about answering them but time has been in short supply so I just thought I'd put this up here. I am not calling myself a success story and in no way would my path be for everyone but some are wondering what I've done and what I'm willing to live with. Turns out I'm really comfortable with uncertainty, which I suppose is a strength and certainly one I never realized I had. Slowly in my life my personality has revealed itself little by little and I still surprise myself.

I got dx'ed mid-November 3 years ago and it was completely overwhelming to me. My husband had left me a few years before this after a very long marriage, I was a very new empty nester, and I had started not just a new job, but a new career as a special ed teacher, under very trying circumstances and after having to move to take the position. The lump was not a lump--it was a subtle rippling under the skin of my left breast and I saw it in the mirror one morning. I'm normally a procrastinator but I got right in and got it checked and it was certainly BC.

They started right away making mistakes with my tests and such. I had to miss an important scan b/c they failed to schedule it in line with when my period was due. One male doc told me lumpectomy but the more competent woman surgeon in St. Louis marched in and said grandly, "Off with the boobs!" Well she said something like that. I went ahead and scheduled it for January of 2014, but the more I thought about chemo and radiation, the more reluctant I felt and of course I was googling like crazy and reading many books.

I wanted to do holistic but wasn't even sure where to start. Thought I'd start with detox but much of what I read said don't do it if you still have metal fillings so I made an appointment with a holistic doc in St. Louis, 2-½ hours from home. The appt was on Monday and the surgery was scheduled for Friday of the same week. The doc took a look at me and told me I didn't look too bad and suggested that if I were willing to postpone the surgery, he figured he could help me knock it down to a lumpectomy, or possibly no surgery at all. The idea of canceling a major surgery was really scary b/c what if they got mad and refused to treat me after that. I decided to go ahead and do it anyway and immediately felt like a huge weight was lifted off my soul--I was very peaceful about my decision. By this time I had been on the ketogenic diet for 2 weeks and the cancer seemed to have stopped growing. I had felt it grow before--now it had stopped and all it took was to get the sugars out. I might add that I'd had a terrible sugar addiction all my life so I wasn't terribly surprised by this.

At this point I'm going to stop and tell you all why my reluctance to do conventional care. The first and most obvious one was the fact that I've always been a wannabe hippie. I was 5 years too late for the real fun, so I thought, but had always fooled about with herbs and making my own salves and herb teas and such and I actually think this is fun. The other reason was darker--only a year before as I was going thru mom's stuff after she died, I found pix of her aunt who had died of BC. She had a rare reaction to the chemo they used and was burned from the inside out. The pictures were horrific and I remembered some of the things they used to whisper about the case when she was dying--I wouldn't wish such a fate on Hitler. I knew that I wasn't going to do that. Some have pointed out that cancer meds have changed a lot in the last 25 years but when the MO gave me a list of what he wanted to use, that one was on the list. I knew it was a rare side effect but we were related.

So I will stop here and resume in another post b/c this one is getting really long. BRB.

Comments

• pipers_dream
    edited December 2016
    Options

So I'm back. The holistic doc, who is a board certified internist, started out as a "real" doctor but soon realized that they were treating many issues way more effectively in China, his home country, and he gradually switched over. He uses a diagnostic tool called Acupuncture Meridian Assessment and uses probes on my fingers and toes to take a reading on what's going on in various parts of my body. Apparently my liver was very sluggish--not surprising as I suspect I was suffering from non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, which many sugar addicts also share in common. I found out that sugar essentially does to your liver what alcohol does. He put me on many supplements. A parasite cleanse--turns out that the meds for this actually kill cancer cells. Then he sent me to the dentist.

He gave me the names of 2 or 3 dentists in town--all biological ones. I had at least one metal filling in each molar and all were 50% mercury. Also, as a child I had broken open a thermometer and played with it for over an hour in the bathroom one day. I still remember how cool that was, but what I started to realize as I revisited this memory, was how sick I was for weeks, months, and years after I did that. I remember that my mild hayfever turned into life threatening illness at times, even after something like a neighbor mowing the lawn, but not every time. My face broke out in an awful rash and my formerly outgoing personality just shut down and I became the class reject that year. All of these are signs of mercury poisoning it turns out. My teen years were very unhappy and emotionally I was a mess for years. I even ran away from home and dropped out of high school. And so sure enough I was high in heavy metals and esp lead and mercury.

The dental work was extensive and I had to have 3 crowns just to hold everything together. I enjoy the fact that I no longer have a metallic taste in my mouth but I'm still not finished with this. There is a spot on my gum that seems to be what the dentist called an amalgam tattoo. A sloppy dentist from years past had gotten amalgam jabbed into my gums and you can still see it with the eye and see it on the xray. I always thought it was a vein down there but dentist said this is amalgam b/c of the way it shows up on the xray. Anyway, newest studies are showing what Weston Price said years ago--as the health of the mouth goes, so goes the rest of the body.
  • pipers_dream
    edited December 2016
    Options

It took months to get the fillings switched out--I wanted to go as fast as possible and get it done, but sometimes they could only do one tooth at a time. I've heard of people getting sick from this and getting more poisoned than if they just left them in but my dentist knew what he was doing. The doc started me on chelation therapy right away to remove the heavy metals and some folks get sick from that too but I had no problems. I was still losing weight and felt great and everyone was telling me I looked fabulous. I have a pic of me from 6 years ago and I look like death warmed over and quite a little pudge and I'm still a little pudgy, due to some menopausal weight gain, but it's coming off again now. The point is though that I look way healthier than I did in that pic. I stopped telling people that I have cancer and never did post anything on my facebook profile.

So about a year had passed and the fear had mostly left me. I was getting impatient b/c the tumor was still there but I realized that it had not grown at all in that year and I realized that it's way easier to stop the growth of a tumor than it is to get rid of one. I went to a counselor sometimes and began to work on my deep seated emotional issues and he recommended me to a friend of his who was doing the same thing I was, but she'd been doing it for almost 6 years! We met and are fast friends now and she was encouraged to start a support group for those doing holistic cancer care and we have quite a competent little group of women. Men are welcome but it's just women for now. We realized that we needed our own support group b/c we often deal with hostility from those who are going the conventional route, as if we are saying they are wrong, when I never ever thought that but that's human nature I guess. I think that we have to choose the tx method that we most believe will heal us, b/c without the belief it won't help much. Yes I've studied a lot about the placebo effect too lol.

• pipers_dream
    edited December 2016
    Options

So for now, I'm just in a holding pattern. I've tried a little bit of everything. I switch around my supplements often, though I consistently take the basic nutrients plus iodine, Brevail, DIM, alpha lipoic acid, and melatonin. I switch in and out of things like quercitin, choline/inositol, co-Q-10, and immune support type products like maitake and elderberry. A friend gave me some essiac tincture and I take that 4x/day. I"ve dithered around about my diet. I know the ketogenic diet helps in the short run but in the long run I just can't imagine it's the healthiest. Have tried vegetarian but I always seem to come up short on protein so for now I just try to eat enough protein for the day and as many fruits and veggies as I can fit in my mouth. Stopped juicing due to weight gain, though I sometimes make a big glass of celery juice. I often fall off my diet and binge on bread (it's the new sweets for me) and then get nervous and read something that tells me how great fruits and veggies are for you and go right back to it. I've stopped getting these dry crusty things on my skin since I began to really hit the produce aisle. (If you're less than 50 you probably don't know what I'm talking about . . . )

I decided I needed to exercise and no excuses but I don't live near a gym so I bought a rebounder. I got a good one b/c I knew I'd use it every day. I put Cajun folk tunes on pandora and hop away and it feels great and I love this kind of exercise. I make a huge effort to get no less than 7 hours sleep a night. This was tough b/c I'm a night owl but it was necessary--funny thing is I thought I was living a healthy lifestyle before but I was awful!

The thing I still struggle with is constipation. I love to make whey smoothies and use that for my protein and the amino acids are said to be just right for dealing with BC issues but the stuff plugs me up for a month. It took a bit for me to realize what was causing it. My system just doesn't seem to respond to the usual methods of getting unstuck so a coffee enema will fix it temporarily but I wish I knew how to fix this. Yes I take probiotics, prebiotics, drink plenty of fluids, fruits, you name it, I've done it. It's chronic and ever present.
  • gemini4
    gemini4 Member Posts: 320
    edited December 2016
    Options

hi Piper! I've packed on the pounds myself in the last three years and need to get rid of this excess weight. I just ordered a book called "Always Hungry" and am excited to start following the eating plan. You might want to consider it as an option from the keto diet. I don't know all the specifics yet, but it's low-carb that includes a bit of fruit and non-wheat grains (like quinoa), chickpeas. No sugar of course. Seems more sustainable than keto, Atkins, or paleo.

• pipers_dream
    edited December 2016
    Options

Thanks Gemini, I will look into that. I know I can't sustain the keto and I can't eat red meat right now either. I have a problem where sometimes I just can't muster up the stomach acid to digest it. The whey powder binds me up ferociously and I avoid soy so my protein options are limited. What does this author suggest for protein?

• lilacblue
    lilacblue Member Posts: 1,425
    edited December 2016
    Options

Pea protein isolate is terrific and I buy it off Amazon.

• pipers_dream
    edited December 2016
    Options

I'm going to look for it Lilac. I need to do something and it sounds like it might have fiber too. I do get about 50 gms fiber/day and drink fluids as much as possible but still having problems.

• pipers_dream
    edited January 2017
    Options

Thanks BosumBlues, I actually still have a lot to add but I've been busy and/or emotional lately. More to come, and working on my emotional issues is one of the things I've committed to working on.

• pipers_dream
    edited February 2017
    Options

Yeah things better now. Think I will share some about the emotional issues here since you never know what some folks will find helpful.

I did not have a horrible childhood but it wasn't exactly a happy one either. I became wildly unhappy after the thermometer incident and my parents didn't and couldn't help--they were quite cold and all of us suffered to some extent from their neglect. I got married in my mid-twenties to a man I considered my best friend and we were married for 23 years before he came out gay. If I were a betting person I'd swear that's when the cancer got started--it was such a huge shock and I remember feeling numb thru much of it--just totally out of touch with my feelings. More crazy stuff happened--death of mother and grandmother (who I was closer to), dealing with the detritus of two hoarders, moving out of town to take a job, etc etc. Very stressful. Thru it all I held one thought, accurate or not: I believed that my ex had never loved me and that all I wanted was to find someone who could. And then. This. Oh, ex came out 3 days after Xmas in '08.

So, needless to say, holidays are not a happy time for me and it hit esp hard this year. The ex is very happy--he's found a wonderful new husband--they are married and even I adore this new partner of his. However, I can't help but contrast my situation to his--not that I think about it all the time but it did hit at holiday time. I think it gets worse with each year b/c it's another year that I'm alone and he's that much closer to getting everything he ever wanted. I want him to be happy but I want me to be happy too.

Also, something set me off at my holistic cancer support group--a man was talking about how angry he is with his dead father and as I listened it occurred to me that what my dad did was worse and then I got really angry! I was like a bomb getting ready to explode. I never had faced how angry I was--had never even admitted it to myself--b/c he's dead maybe I don't know. And I realized that I'd uncovered a whole new layer of angst and that it's good to have it out but I really lashed out at a male friend who tried to talk to me during this time. And yes, I am totally disappointed in my dating situation and wondering if it will be possible for me to find someone under the current conditions. After all, I'm treating a very scary disease with a treatment that 99% of the rest of the world doesn't believe in but I believe so strongly in what I'm doing that I'm not willing to give it up--not even to increase my chances of finding a loving partner. It doesn't help that I am rather isolated socially where I live and I'm a democrat in Trump country. That's all I'll say about that except that my tongue is about chewed off from biting it. Would like to move back to St. Louis, closer to my doc but moving is so stressful that I wonder if it's a good idea right now.

So, my point in typing all of this up for your delectation, is that some have speculated about a "cancer personality." If it's a thing, boy do I have it. Some folks get mad when it's brought up, like they are being accused of bringing on their cancer, but I don't see it that way. For one thing, no one asked to have emotional issues either. It's not like you can just turn them off like a faucet. Much of this stuff is buried, in some places quite deep. I call it "digging up bones," a term I coined from a reading of Women Who Run With the Wolves, by Clara Pinkola Estes. ( "La Loba, as told by Clarissa Pinkola Estes in Women Who Run with the Wolves, tells of an old woman who collects bones. When she has a whole wolf skeleton in her bag, she takes them home to her hut. She lays them out meticulously, then lights her fire and sings. Her song puts flesh and hair back on the bones, puts breath in the wolf's body and a beating heart in its chest. When it is ready, the wolf jumps up and runs into the desert. At some moment, mysteriously, the wolf transforms into a woman." ) Of course the actual story is more involved and I love this story. Those bones are me and I am trying to build a coherent picture of my self, from the fragments that were scattered.

Other things I do to help are to meditate and Donna Eden's daily energy routine. I have my support group, which meets monthly, and I have made a big attempt to get out and meet people, even date. It's heartbreaking when I like someone and I tell them I have BC and what I'm doing for it and then I watch them backpedal. The way I figure it though is that I need someone to be with who can have confidence in what I'm doing, or at least in me, and if they don't get the holistic thing they probably won't get me either. Unfortunately it's same old same old story tho--the ones that like me and can handle it are not the ones I like back and vice versa. I generally tell them pretty early on--don't want to lead anyone on, but neither am I going to put that in a dating profile or tell it on the first date. My experience most often has been that a man who really liked me will suddenly do a switch in his head and I'll be downgraded to, "I'd do her . . . " I have learned to wait a lot longer before hopping in the sack than I did before--no I was not a first date girl or even a 3rd date, but I've discovered that even a 10th date is too soon. (Some of you probably rolling your eyes and some probably going, "Whu. . ?" LOL relax, I'm 57. I remain hopeful but will probably have to move.

• pipers_dream
    edited February 2017
    Options

One more thing that I think it's important to add: I am not consistent with my good health habits. I threw everything I knew at it the first year and still cycle in and out of those things, and a lot of my work is done so it's mostly just maintenance. I just got a tough piece of my dental work done--had an exposed gum that needed a graft and they finally convinced me after 40 long years that I must have this done--apparently it collects bacteria down in there and sucks off my immune system, so that was cancer care too.

But back to my consistency point--once that first year is over, if things haven't advanced, the fear can fade pretty quickly. Sometimes it revives--I'll feel twinges in my armpit for a few days for instance, but for the most part I'm pretty fear free. I no longer swallow a bunch of vitamin pills every day and sometimes I do eat junk food, though never sugar. The way we figure it in our support group, we just need to hit the "macros" every day--enough sleep, 80/20 or better on the healthy diet, exercise that gets lymph moving, and the occasional detox. In truth, my tumor stopped growing when I cut out the sugar. I struggle to meet my water needs every day--I just don't seem to have much interest in sipping on a glass of water, so I try to get it with herbal teas and such. So, big breath. Believe it or not, there's more. Later.

• elainetherese
    elainetherese Member Posts: 1,625
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hi pipers dream!

As you can tell from my signature, I'm a conventional medicine gal. But, I admire you for sticking to your convictions. Also, I appreciate your willingness to share your journey so that those who share your convictions can take hope from your success so far. I'm happy to hear you have a support group. Best wishes, in health and in the romance department!

• mapat
    mapat Member Posts: 31
    edited April 2017
    Options

Piper's dream: Thanks for sharing your story with us. It helps a lot to know of others who go this route. I too refused all conventional treatment when I was first diagnosed in 2012, (except 6 months of letrozole last spring, after a 'really bad' winter and being diagnosed in Feb 2016 as stage 4, with mets to bones) Sometimes it just seems like such "a long story" that I don't even know where to start to tell others of my experiences. And sometimes I don't share much just because I don't want that negativity from others about my choices.

Thanks again for sharing.

A plant-based diet is essential for me, as well as various supplements.

Some interesting sites, including many references to scientific studies.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/healt...

https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/healt...

https://www.drmcdougall.com/

https://nutritionfacts.org/topics/cancer/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHj93P3P7Mw

• pipers_dream
    edited May 2017
    Options

OK, so I don't know what to make of this so I'll just jump in. Old lady tumor has just melted in the past couple of months. i mean, I think she's gone. Can't be sure without testing of course but it feels like it's so. I do have one very tiny hard little spot but when I got to thinking about it that's where they inserted the marker for surgery. The little pink ribbon thingie. It seemed like they inserted it deeper but then I realized I've lost 30 lbs from then and I was a DD bra size--now I'm a B. I think iodine helped with that--made all the fibrocystic tissue shrink.

The one major thing that could have contributed to it was the gum surgery I had in January but I've done a lot of emotional healing as well and making up with my sister was huge. I had no idea what a black hole that was--sucking off my life. Gosh I didn't even think about her most days while that was going on but I'm thrilled that we're speaking again. I truly do believe that tending to your emotional health is just as important in cancer care. Most of us start with the physical stuff but it's the emotional healing I think that finally made the diff.

I do not intend to go get tested or anything. I mean, what would I do different? Start eating candy again? I have found a routine that I can live with for the rest of my life and don't intend to go back to my old lifestyle anyway and I don't want to get too comfortable if you know what I mean. I truly did go deeper into this journey called life.

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited May 2017
    Options

Piper, just wanted to ditto Elaine-Therese. Thanks for always being willing to share your thoughts and considerations, for being willing to consider things critically, and being open to all points of view.

• pipers_dream
    edited May 2017
    Options

Thank all of you for your kind words. We don't all have to agree on our health care plans but I'm glad we can stay civil. And honestly, there is more than one way to skin a cat.

• obsolete
    obsolete Member Posts: 333
    edited October 2022
    Options

Piper, thank you for your truth. Your open sharing has touched and inspired me. I admire the transparent depth of your soul. Your strength in believing is healing energy for us all. Wishing you all the best!

• pipers_dream
    edited May 2017
    Options

You know, one thing I've been doing that I think has really helped my health is that I've been working very hard on my digestive issues. I take digestive enzymes and aloe vera juice and try to keep my fluid intake up. These things have helped a lot. I've always been constipated and I have low stomach acid, which is a reason why I haven't really been tempted to do the baking soda cure lol. Low stomach acid is a lot more serious than most people realize since you need it to absorb the nutrients from your food and when food sits in your stomach it can be a miserable experience. I was alerted to it when I stopped being able to eat red meat. Dumb docs put me thru a bunch of expensive tests (over 10 years ago) but not one mentioned the issue of low acidity. I seriously have not ever been to a conventional medical practitioner where they didn't screw something up or miss the obvious, which is why I didn't choose to trust them with my cancer. But, I'm going to try to stay out of that and rejoice that I'm doing so well.

• pipers_dream
    edited May 2017
    Options

I just had a thought--had a long talk on the phone tonight with a friend who is also doing all holistic and she isn't doing so well. She had 6 good years of sparkling health and still feels great at 7 years, but the tumor is starting to bleed--it has grown steadily from the site they put the marker in since dx. She has insurance only thru the ACA and you know what's going to happen to that--pre-existing condition and all. She said something that made me realize a thing about myself and those of us who do holistic. It may not work--most people believe that it's certain that it won't, but we holistics have to believe that it's at least possible.

But here's the thing--all of us in our group believe very strongly that we were the ones who were going to fail with the conventional methods or left badly disabled. After all, not everyone makes it that way either and we all felt that it wasn't going to help us and either we had a presentiment that something bad was going to happen to us, I mean something even worse than cancer, or our beliefs would cause us to fail to respond positively. I guess you'd say we're a "type" lol. So, no one who has actually used holistic health care is going to tell anyone with cancer what they should do--you must believe in what you're doing. As for me, there simply was no other choice and I can't really explain that except to say it was just me--I would not say that my choice is for everyone.

The well-meaning friends and relatives who send you a flyer on the latest holistic fad aren't the ones who actually use this stuff--it sounds ugly but some of them are just curious about whether it would work. They'd be horrified if you pointed that out to them but it's so. These are the ones who give holistic medicine a bad name--those and the spokesmen and women who are pushing a product. Some of those products are quite helpful btw, but none of the ones I found most helpful came with a flashy sticker and a claim that it's not sold in stores and none had a famous spokesperson.

• obsolete
    obsolete Member Posts: 333
    edited September 2018
    Options

When we deeply believe, our bodies will follow. ..., Ref 2007 article by Dr Mercola (articles/mercola.com) entitled A New View of Cancer...German New Medicine. Dr Hamer's work had been kept underground, but very interesting. See links at bottom of Dr Mercola's article. (Sorry my tablet is acting up & won't let me copy links) Very enlightening....

• pipers_dream
    edited May 2017
    Options

Here's another couple of signs that either my tumor is healing or gone: my immune system came roaring back. I've always been prone to sinus infections and get at least one every year. This year I got two--one after the other and I did my usual trick of adding a couple of drops of oil of oregano to my neti pot brew and then I started to get another one--a third one! It was starting to get bad but I kept putting off doing the neti pot because I hate it lol, and all of a sudden my sinus infection just cleared up. I have never had that happen--either I go to the doc or I do the ooo/neti pot routine. Or I can fast for a couple of days but as you all can imagine, I'd rather do the neti lol. But right after that experience is when I noticed the tumor shrinking quickly.

The other thing is that I have all this energy. I have never been an energetic person in my life--never. Even as a child I would have rather been reading a book than playing any sports and then as a young person I had so many health problems and I slept a lot as a teen and well into my twenties. My house has always been kind of messy and I've always wanted to be an energetic person but couldn't quite get up the gumption to do much unless I really liked it, such as dancing. But lately I've been looking at this house and realizing all the things that must be done so I've put on my roller skates and gone at it. Looks great around here but so much yet to do.

• Fightcancer2017
    Fightcancer2017 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2017
    Options

piper I went the more natural route too. Not sure what type of therapy you did. I would be jterested In hearing more

• 4yourlife
    4yourlife Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2017
    Options

Piper,

My mother went through having both breasts removed. I thought they were real hasty, but it is done.

I do not know how long this post will last,I am not selling anything,and I do not personally benefit ,other than knowing I may have helped someone,or maybe I posted in the wrong area,but I read your posts. Reducing your sugar intake can only help you , less stress, exercise , rest and diet is all you can do to try to heal.( I am sorry that I do not have a reference for this information, but it is common knowledge ) I also had a cancerous mole on my ear,and I applied urine therapy to it,and I drank it,and it got pushed out of my ear and fell off.I did not know I was even treating it ,but it did take 4 years. I believe in the use of your own urine to try to obtain ultimate health.You will not get the flu or a cold again,and if you do ,it will be mild. It also does wonders for constipation when you do it before you get up in the morning. There are many urine therapy web sites, investigate yourself.

• marijen
    marijen Member Posts: 2,181
    edited June 2017
    Options

piper I love your story, very inspiring. Would you please tell me the name of the parasite cleanse? And how much iodine you take per day? Drops or seaweed?

Thank you.

• Houston2016
    Houston2016 Member Posts: 248
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hello, I would like to know have anyone use Whey protein, how does it has any impact on cancer? I rarely eat meat or fish, when I do, I only eat organic chicken or turkey, salmon, or cod. Am I lacking protein, sometimes I eat tofu. Any suggestion would help. Thanks.

• marijen
    marijen Member Posts: 2,181
    edited June 2017
    Options

I love Whey protein, I buy Jarrow at Amazon - only one gram of sugar. But I don't know how it affects cancer except I think it will make your nutrition intake healthier.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,236
    edited June 2017
    Options

All I know is that though it is quite carby, whey protein is a great way (no pun intended) to boost your protein. (Food mfrs.—even natural/organic--often add it to raise the protein content of their products). Of course, it’s verboten if you are a strict ethical vegan, because it comes from dairy--which does exploit an animal. But if your motivation for veganism is health, it should be fine. The cows don’t get milked for the milk’s by-products.

• pipers_dream
    edited July 2017
    Options

Oops, run off to Bolivia and see what happens with all the great responses lol. I just had a great trip there and got to do a rainforest tour and was able to see cat's claw, which just happens to be very good for kicking back cancer. Unfortunately, while I traveled I got off my plan and ate way too much bread and other things that aren't really in my diet and I could feel some difference in the size of the tumor by the time I got back home. Rather than scare me, I take this as a sign that whatever I have been doing has been effective so I'm getting back on my ketogenic diet, b/c I have gained weight and that's not good for blood sugar control, which is the real issue with cancer--not sugar in itself so much as high blood sugar with high insulin--insulin is a growth hormone. I also indulged in a couple of sweet foods and some wine while I was away so now it's back to reality. LOL.

On the issue of whey, I used to use that but had to give it up. One problem is that it is dairy and dairy is not that great for us ER/PR+ types. Another issue for me is that it behaves like cement in my intestines. I've had a struggle with constipation all my life but nothing stoppers me up like whey protein. I went to NOW pea protein for one canister, but barely gagged the stuff down. Now i use Garden of Life Raw Protein which I love, but then they went and raised the price quite a lot and it was never cheap to begin with. I'm still using it but the price may be prohibitive for some. It seems like the best option for me to get protein on a low carb diet when I can't eat red meat and studies show that red meat in itself can be carcinogenic, though I must say that I wonder sometimes about the quality of the meat in the studies--is it organic grassfed or something they got from the grocery store?

Marijen, for my parasite cleanse, it was something the doc prescribed. I believe the meds were praziquantel and ivermectin and I'll soon know for sure b/c doc promised to put me back on them when I get back from the trip lol. Also, he prescribed an herbal one with black walnut hulls, cloves, and wormwood. Interestingly aa couple of those ingredients have shown anti-cancer properties and so does ivermectin. Ivermectin kills breast cancer cells Clove Extract Inhibits Tumor Growth and Promotes Cell Cycle Arrest and Apoptosis Wormwood Extract Kills Cancer Cells Obviously we have a long way to go with the studies, but it's nice to know it probably won't hurt.

As for iodine, I take 25 mg day of iodoral. That reminds me that I'm out and need to reorder--I'm feeling some increase of swelling and maybe it's from that. I had such terrible fibrocystic breasts before the dx and they hurt all the time and were so dense with cysts that the mammogram was pretty useless. Well the mammygram is useless for ILC anyway but still.

4yourlife, I have heard of urine therapy but haven't tried it. I'm not sure I'm brave enough for that one but I'm glad it helps you.

• pipers_dream
    edited July 2017
    Options

Oh and I wanted to put this in a separate post. I believe I've mentioned my sister on here and about us healing our relationship and how good it feels. And no sooner did we do that than I started to realize that my sis has what may be a serious health issue. She had gone thru menopause but started to bleed a year and a half later and she has been in incredible pain. I have begged her to see and doctor and offered to take a day off and go with her but she keeps putting it off. I took her some of my medicine which has helped with the pain but she said it has been really bad even still but she will not see a doc! Part of it is that she has no money or health insurance and part of it I think is that she's afraid of what she will find out b/c she has 9/10 symptoms for ovarian cancer. What is encouraging is that she does not have the weight loss and a nurse friend said that weight loss almost always comes before the pain. Also, she healed remarkably rapidly from a brown recluse spider bite, which means probably not stage IV cancer. It could be an STD too or ovarian cysts or fibroid tumors. I know county health has a sliding scale of fees but I can't even talk her into that.

So, I can't get her to the doc--I talked her into trying a fast to see what happens. By the end of the second day the bleeding and pain had stopped. Completely. The interesting thing about a fast is that it cleans up your body of structures that it doesn't need. Your body goes looking for food and ends up "digesting" things like tumors, fibroids, and cysts. Also, geriatric immune cells are cleaned out and you get a whole new batch when you start eating again. And, plagues and tangles. You know, the things they find in the brains of alzheimer's sufferers. After I've keto'ed for a few days I'm going to get back on a 3 day fast--they are so helpful, but it's easier after doing keto b/c your body isn't screaming for carbs like it usually does when you withhold them.

• melissadallas
    melissadallas Member Posts: 929
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Piper, I'm not sure what you mean by the "9/10" signs. I had ovarian cancer - a huge 20 pound one in fact. I had few, if any, "signs" other than typical perimenopausal ones until I suddenly developed ascites and went from flat belly to 9 month pregnant appearance, seemingly overnight-no weight loss until the ascites & tumor got so huge I couldn't eat. A fast certainly wouldn't have helped me. Every state participates in the Women' Breast & Cervical Cancer program Bosom referred to, but I don't know what they do if they find other Gyn cancers.
  • pipers_dream
    edited July 2017
    Options

Bosum, I do wish I could get sis to go to the doc but apparently we have a tradition of this in my family and also a tradition to let each other make our own healthcare decisions. I can't make her--all I can do is help her from where she's at now and I'm so happy that this did help. I do think she should at least get checked out for STD's but the main point of my story was to show how useful fasting can be in a health crisis. It's the one thing I would advise any newly dx'ed patient to do, which is easy at that time b/c I remember being too freaked out to eat much anyway but I did eat b/c I thought it was better to keep my strength up.

Melissa, by the 9 of 10 signs, I meant the handy dandy list you can google up that's called something like the top 10 signs you may have. . . whatever. In this case, ovarian cancer. As you probably know, by the time you start showing symptoms, it's often too late so I'm glad you're still here! But a fast might have helped you--I'm not saying it would have made the tumor go away, but it might have slowed it down or kept the ascites from building up so quickly. I do believe that a good fast can buy you time to make decisions w/o pressure and that's invaluable b/c people tend to do better if they feel they had some power in the decision making and don't feel they were railroaded by the docs.