We are 222,154 members in 81 forums discussing 156,588 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: My choice--refusing treatment

Forum: Alternative Medicine —

This forum is a safe, judgement-free place to discuss Alternative medicine. Alternative medicine refers to treatments that are used INSTEAD of standard, evidence-based treatment. Breastcancer.org does NOT recommend or endorse alternative medicine.

Posted on: Jan 24, 2017 01:34PM - edited Jan 28, 2017 01:00AM by Monetswaterlillies

Monetswaterlillies wrote:

Hi everyone,

My post won't be too popular but I'm entitled to feel the way I do--to fight cancer or not. Im 50 and recently dx with IDC. Clinical staging is in the works but regardless of the results, I just don't care to treat it. I have my reasons, and would like to talk with others who feel similar feelings.

Thanks so much, everyone.

Dx 1/20/2017, IDC, Right, Grade 1, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 22 of 22 (636 results)

Posts 631 - 636 (636 total)

Aug 10, 2019 07:18PM Jons_girl wrote:

annoyedwoman:

You didn’t share yr dx as far as stage or grade of yr Br ca. Maybe you didn’t want to share. And that’s ok. That’s the info that helped me make my decision. My cancer was not very aggressive at grade 1. Very slow growing. Tamoxifen didn’t reduce my recurrence chances much. My recurrence chances were very low to begin with. I was stage 1a. But everyone has to make the right choice for them. My choice may not be right for the next person. I am just sharing how I made my choice. I also chose no radiation. My medical oncologist supported my decision. I have diagnostics every 6 mo going forward. Just sharing. We are all here for you. Blessings on your journey going forward.

Dx 6/2017, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 7/5/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel

Aug 12, 2019 11:33AM edwards750 wrote:

You guys who refused radiation and Tamoxifen are so brave. I didn’t hesitate to follow my doctors advice to the letter. Frankly I was afraid not to. My whole BC process was on automatic pilot from start to finish.

I have been fortunate because I’m 8 years out this month. I had IDC, stage 1b, Grade 1. I had 33 radiation treatments and took Tamoxifen for 5 years. Also blessed no unmanageable side effects.

I did have a good medical team. My BS, MO and RO were all compassionate and caring. Actually their medical staff was more so.

There are zillions of doctors out there so had I not had a connection with my doctors I definitely would have found another.

Diane

Aug 12, 2019 12:02PM DrMae wrote:

I had my surgery on July 19th and is now over 3 weeks, feeling good and doing better than my doctors expected. I had a left mastectomy and flap reconstruction. I took Bio-identical HRT for 5 years at diagnosis, was planning to go off the week of diagnosis strange how things happen. No plan for radiation or chemo but my doctor did talk about Aromatase Inhibitors. I have done a lot of research and have decided not to take any AI's partly because I think that stopping the HRT and making healthy changes to my environment will not feed any future cancer and span the gap that an AI would decrease for a recurrence. I meet with a Oncologist this week and know that I will be pressured to at least try the AI's but it would only be to appease the doctor I have all ready made up my mind. Of course I know that never say never life changes in a heart beat but I am hoping I can stay strong and just so no.

Dx 5/28/2019, ILC/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 7/18/2019

Aug 12, 2019 04:00PM Jons_girl wrote:

DrMae: My breast surgeon wanted me to meet with a medical oncologist too even though I wasn't planning to take tamoxifen. She told me that he may not want to follow you if you don't take meds but you should go anyway. So I went. He was a kind person. He DID want to follow me even without taking meds. I thought that was nice. I told him my reasoning as to why I didn't want to take tamoxifen nor do radiation. He supported me in my decision. I have since decided to just continue having manual exams with a dr associate of my breast surgeon and having her follow me as I get ultrasounds every 6 mo for just being vigilent in case anything were to return. I may go back to see him too at some point. But I feel good about my follow up plan going forward.

Just tell your oncologist your wishes....they should support you. Also keep in mind if you don't like this oncologist you can always go to a different one.

Like you, I have tried to make positive changes in my life. My medical oncologist told me that IF my cancer returns it will probably be very slow growing like it is now. So I believe I could catch it early again IF it returns. I am happy with my decision. Everyone has to make their own decision regarding meds and radiation etc and any oncologist should support your choice whatever that is. Blessings as you journey forward!

Dx 6/2017, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 7/5/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel

Aug 13, 2019 03:27PM DrMae wrote:

Jons_Girl Thanks for sharing. I am hopeful that they will follow me and I can get checks done with them even through I choose not to take the medication. Do you know if there is some type of registry that follows those of us that choose not to take the medication? From the research I did it seems like there is 30-50% of women who have Breast cancer either stop taking or never start the medication and don't appear to be represented in the studies.

Dx 5/28/2019, ILC/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 7/18/2019

Aug 14, 2019 07:23PM Jons_girl wrote:

Hi DrMae:

I don't know of any registry like that at all. No they don't do any studies like that, that I am aware of...maybe because no company would sponsor the study?? But maybe studies don't have to have sponsors I am not sure. I would think someone though would have to pay for these studies?

Page 22 of 22 (636 results)