We are 204,761 members in 81 forums discussing 148,355 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Alternative Medicine → Topic: My choice--refusing treatment

Topic: My choice--refusing treatment

Forum: Alternative Medicine —

This forum is a safe, judgement-free place to discuss Alternative medicine. Alternative medicine refers to treatments that are used INSTEAD of standard, evidence-based treatment. Breastcancer.org does NOT recommend or endorse alternative medicine.

Posted on: Jan 24, 2017 01:34PM - edited Jan 28, 2017 01:00AM by Monetswaterlillies

Monetswaterlillies wrote:

Hi everyone,

My post won't be too popular but I'm entitled to feel the way I do--to fight cancer or not. Im 50 and recently dx with IDC. Clinical staging is in the works but regardless of the results, I just don't care to treat it. I have my reasons, and would like to talk with others who feel similar feelings.

Thanks so much, everyone.

Dx 1/20/2017, IDC, Right, Grade 1, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 7 of 7 (192 results)

Posts 181 - 192 (192 total)

Feb 23, 2018 03:38PM Bluebird-DE wrote:

I know we all face personal and hard decisions about treatment and how far to go and when to stop or begin again. Wish there was an easy path to the knowledge of what to do but it is spread all over the place and we have to collect and make our own book, so to speak.

I am equally glad we have a place in alternative where we can talk out the issues of not choosing treatment or only minor treatment.

My treatment options were snatched away (see Steam Room for that story). I didn't want that anyway but felt the loss just the same because I know my life is at risk - though it is either way I go. Still deciding what to do but I know I am going the lighter road.

"Every mistake I have made has proven to be invaluable information for someone. Namely, me." Me. Diane Dx 7/15/2011, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IV, metastasized to liver/lungs/other, Grade 3, 3/11 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 4/4/2017 Xeloda (capecitabine) Targeted Therapy Ibrance (palbociclib) Hormonal Therapy Faslodex (fulvestrant) Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole) Radiation Therapy External: Lymph nodes Surgery Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Left

Feb 24, 2018 12:45AM Meow13 wrote:

dtad, I second better treatment and a cure. Seems like you need a crystal ball to figure out what treatment yields the best results per individual. Even though I felt anastrozole and exemestane benefitted me I am not sure I would do it again. I do know I would have surgery to remove cancer but medications hmmmm, need better meds.

Feb 24, 2018 09:33AM dtad wrote:

Meow13...exactly!

Dx 3/20/2015, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 4/10/2015, ILC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/21/2015 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant

Feb 27, 2018 10:24AM farmladync wrote:

I was diagnosed with triple negative in March of 2015. My tumor was in my right breast. I did have surgery and 8 lymph nodes removed. Chose not to do any treatments. In hind site I would not have had surgery. My arm has never been the same since my lymph nodes were removed. No cancer was found in my lymph nodes and I so regret letting the surgeon remove them. Wasn't told of the consequences . Been going to therapy and it helps but I still live with pain and numbness of my arm. Other than that I feel good. No regrets of not having chemo or radiation . I didn't want any harmful drugs with all the side effects .

Feb 27, 2018 09:43PM edwards750 wrote:

farmlady - why did they remove so many nodes? I had a micromet in my SN but my ONC said it wasn’t enough to check other nodes.

I was Stage 1b, Grade 1 IDC. I had a lumpectomy and 33 radiation treatments. What surgery did you have? What was your BC? My Oncotype score was 11

Sorry about your pain. Several ladies with my church group have lymphodema. Brutally painful. Do you have lymphodema?

Diane

Feb 27, 2018 10:21PM twinbabes wrote:

hi farmlady, I didnt like the sound of having all the drugs either, I havent even had surgery , rads, ect. I'm co-existing with my cancer and 9 years (fingers crossed) down the track I'm still ticking along. I think it was remiss of them not to inform you of the possible consequenses when they remove nodes, I hope you find some relief for your arm. Unfortunately I have no suggestions to help but hope someone else can give some ideas

Feb 27, 2018 11:28PM Meow13 wrote:

Swimming gives me temporary relief from my under arm tightness. I was never told what removing nodes could do.

Feb 28, 2018 11:43AM April-May wrote:

I too have triple negative IDC. I was too worried to not do chemo. I am half way through treatment right now. I would have loved to have avoided chemo but my oncologist scared me into doing it. Can I ask what you do alternatively, if anything?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thank you

Mar 1, 2018 06:13PM Bluebird-DE wrote:

April-May - go ahead and read as many pages as you can in the alternative and in the complementary forums. You will find many protocols. No one can really morally advise you on what to do instead. It is a long journey finding our own way. I am lost still after all these years. And when we think we aren't lost we may find out much later that we were.

We are here to support you, listen, help you field your way through.

Diane

"Every mistake I have made has proven to be invaluable information for someone. Namely, me." Me. Diane Dx 7/15/2011, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IV, metastasized to liver/lungs/other, Grade 3, 3/11 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 4/4/2017 Xeloda (capecitabine) Targeted Therapy Ibrance (palbociclib) Hormonal Therapy Faslodex (fulvestrant) Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole) Radiation Therapy External: Lymph nodes Surgery Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Left

Mar 7, 2018 09:38AM farmladync wrote:

edwards750 . I don't know why my general surgeon removed so many lymph nodes. He did a needle biopsy in his office before my surgery. I have triple negative breast cancer . I have since found a breast cancer doctor and surgeon . My tumor was 3 centimeters . My advise is go online and do all the research and talk to women who have been through it. Don't just take a doctors word for anything !

Apr 15, 2018 04:09PM Beaches4me wrote:

I have prior history of bone marrow transplant for Leukemia and now diagnosed with breast cancer. Just can't find much information to help guide me decision about treatment. Any ideas?

Apr 16, 2018 04:46PM CindyNY wrote:

Beaches4me- what is your dx...the first estimate of size, grade, and type of bc will help guide you to treatments, or choosing to forgo treatments, as these posts suggest. Best wishes to you.

dx at 58, no family history, onco = 19 Dx 10/6/2017, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/31/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 11/13/2017 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 12/26/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 3/1/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Page 7 of 7 (192 results)