Join Us

We are 218,061 members in 84 forums discussing 160,867 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Concerned daughter reaching out for encouragement

Forum: Alternative Medicine —

This forum is a safe, judgement-free place to discuss Alternative medicine. Alternative medicine refers to treatments that are used INSTEAD of standard, evidence-based treatment. Breastcancer.org does NOT recommend or endorse alternative medicine.

Posted on: Mar 29, 2017 09:52PM

ConcerneddaughterS wrote:

Hi, my mom was recently diagnosed with stage 2b triple negative very aggressive breast cancer. It all started about a month and a half ago and its been a huge whirlwind. She is a very healthy woman, and often seeks natural--- everything! Lol So naturally when she was diagnoised and told the "normal" way to fight her kind is all 3, radiation, mastectomy, and chemo, she began searching. She was given a recommendation by a holistic MD that there was a cancer center for healing in Irvine, CA. She and ger husband hopped on a plane and are currebtly going through their long list of treatments. I desperately want this to be the answer, however im having a hard time trusting all these different things will keep her with me. I don't know much about the holistic side of things but i also dont totally trust the traditional way either. But its somehow easier to trust when you are surrounded by people that are living that have been through traditional and I dont know anyone that has been the holistic route. Please help! If your one of the success stories please let me know!

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)

Posts 1 - 3 (3 total)

Mar 30, 2017 11:31AM cive wrote:

Your mother has obviously made her decision, which is her's to make.  I come from the science side of things so I have gone traditional while reducing side effects with more non-traditional methods.  As much as you worry, you will have to accept your mother's decision.

Bawling

Mar 30, 2017 11:35AM - edited Mar 30, 2017 11:38AM by ConcerneddaughterS

oh, please dont get the wrong impression, i do support her and know 100% its her decision, but I am trying to reach out and find success stories and support for people ans family members choosing that route. I do not kmow enough about the holistic treatments, which is why im trying to gain information to bettrr underatand how ro support her. I also believe it boosts mental moral to be able to hear and read other success stories, but its much harder to find those people with this route, so one of the reasons I thought i would post here.

Mar 30, 2017 07:14PM pipers_dream wrote:

Hang in there hun! I am doing all holistic but the disclaimer is that I'm highly ER/PR+ so her experience may vary. But then again, holistic is so different from conventional that it may not. The good news is that it's fairly easy to stop the growth of a tumor and mets using holistic therapy--the bad news is that she may end up living with it to the end of life, which might be 30 years from now.

A really great and encouraging book to read is Radical Remission--I still read and reread it often. The absolute main thing she must do is find tx she believes in and sounds as if that's what she's doing so it sounds like she's in good hands. I'm 3.5 years out from dx and feeling great and I have a friend who is 8 years out with nothing but holistic. It's possible to survive and thrive with this. I belong to a holistic support group and we're all doing great--there's about 10 of us.

Breast cancer should not be something to fear but rather a call to go deeper in this journey called life. Dx 11/14/2013, ILC, 5cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)