Join Us

We are 218,032 members in 84 forums discussing 160,858 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Cannibus Oil instead of chemo

Forum: Alternative Medicine —

This forum is a safe, judgement-free place to discuss Alternative medicine. Alternative medicine refers to treatments that are used INSTEAD of standard, evidence-based treatment. Breastcancer.org does NOT recommend or endorse alternative medicine.

Posted on: Jul 8, 2017 10:43AM

Debpahdz wrote:

I have read that cannibus oil is very affective in treating TNBC. Has anyone used it or can tell me more about it?

I see my oncologist on Monday to discuss treatment and I know she will recommend aggressive chemo followed by radiation as is usually indicated for TNBC. I would perfer to skip the chemo if cannibus oil or other homeopathic treatments are as effective

DC

Page 1 of 1 (9 results)

Posts 1 - 9 (9 total)

Jul 8, 2017 11:41AM - edited Jul 8, 2017 11:43AM by exbrnxgrl

I use cannabis products for pain control and sleep. I am stage IV and have never had chemo, so have no personal experience with it. I can safely say that there is probably no one who wants chemo, but cannabis oil instead of chemo seems to be something with out solid scientific research to back it up. You will find anecdotal evidence claiming that it cures everything from hang nails to cancer and for some people, that's good enough. Here's a link to a short article from Medical Jane, a pro-cannabis site, but even they cannot provide research based evidence to support what you're proposing. Again, there are those who are not bothered by lack of scientific evidence. Me? I think cannabis has been valuable as a complement to my conventional tx, but I put more faith in evidence based tx. Anecdotes are not good enough for me. TN can be very aggressive so please consider your options carefully and take care.

https://www.medicaljane.com/2015/02/28/studies-sug...

Bilateral mx 9/7/11 with one step ns reconstruction. As of 11/21/11, 2cm met to upper left femur Dx 7/8/2011, IDC, Left, 4cm, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/7/2011 Lymph node removal: Left; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Dx 11/2011, IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 11/21/2011 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 11/21/2011 Bone Hormonal Therapy 6/19/2014 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane)

Jul 9, 2017 12:13PM pipers_dream wrote:

Debpahdz, It sounds like you're quite new to all this so I just want to give you a piece of very general advice about holistic tx. Get your body in balance. Consider all your structures, like liver, colon, metabolism, etc and work with that. If you have the option to work with a holistic doc, it's a good idea to do so--either along with conventional care or independently of it. If you can't get a holistic doc, start taking a critical look at your life and any longstanding issues you may have had. I have learned that it's never a good idea to let "minor" health issues slip. If you've been chronically constipated all your life, work with that. If allergies have always been an issue, work on that. If you still have metal fillings in your mouth then holistic remedies are only going to help so much. If you have weight problems or a sugar addiction, a keto diet is a good place to start. OTOH, if you've been a big meat eater for years, you may do better to look into a vegetarian or even a vegan diet. The point is that whatever you've been doing has gotten you to where you are.

The main piece of confusion for those getting started on this journey is the idea that you can substitute a holistic remedy for a more conventional one and that's not the case--a holistic remedy will simply not work if you're not in balance. A good book to get you started is Anti-Cancer: A New Way of Life by David Servan-Schreiber. His focus is more on complementary therapies to use with conventional, but it's still helpful no matter what you choose. I suggest you read, read, read. Your reading may indeed lead you to what you're talking about, but work on the other stuff first and unless your situation is immediately dire, don't let the MO pressure you into making hasty decisions--you generally have more time than you think. I wish you luck on your journey--cancer tx, whatever form it may take, is not for the faint of heart.

Take care of yourself and accept all offers of care from anyone else, but don't eat the donuts, lol.

Breast cancer should not be something to fear but rather a call to go deeper in this journey called life. Dx 11/14/2013, ILC, 5cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 12, 2017 02:17PM pipers_dream wrote:

Deb, how did your appt go?

Breast cancer should not be something to fear but rather a call to go deeper in this journey called life. Dx 11/14/2013, ILC, 5cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 13, 2017 04:19AM Traveltext wrote:

Actually, you don't have a lot of time to muck around getting your body in balancewhen you have TNBC. My friend passed away after a year. There's no evidence whatever that cannabis oil will stop progression, and I'd be inclined to seriously consider what medical treatments are being proposed, including chemo.

NED breast and prostate cancer. More on Male BC

Dx 03/14, IBC, Lgth. 2cm, Stge IIIB, Gde 2B, ER+/PR+, HER2- ; FEC x3, Taxol x3; Mx & 2/23 nodes; Rads x 33; now on tamoxofin.

Jul 13, 2017 11:07AM pipers_dream wrote:

I suspect traveltext is right but it wouldn't hurt to use cannabis with chemo b/c it will help with the stress of the treatments and the side effects.

Jul 23, 2017 08:53AM BrooksideVT wrote:

Please read through Cee67's thread, "New Trial (for me)." If I remember correctly, Cee delayed traditional medical treatment while she tried Rick Simpson oil. It did not seem the oil had any effect on her progression.

Dx 11/21/2012, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/7/2013 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 2/21/2013 Breast Hormonal Therapy 4/1/2013 Arimidex (anastrozole), Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Hormonal Therapy 7/4/2014 Aromasin (exemestane) Hormonal Therapy 11/21/2014 Arimidex (anastrozole), Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Hormonal Therapy 9/28/2015 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Jul 23, 2017 01:51PM Momine wrote:

Brookside, have you heard any news of Cee67?

Dx 6/1/2011, ILC, 5cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, 7/23 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 6/20/2011 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 9/13/2011 Mastectomy: Left, Right Radiation Therapy 1/9/2012 Surgery 3/8/2012 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 4/1/2012 Femara (letrozole)

Jul 23, 2017 02:03PM Artista928 wrote:

Just read Cee67's last post. So sad. :(

Dx'd at 50. Doing it all, all by myself. Stopped Letrozole after 5 weeks. Debilitating se's. Back on Tamox now. Dx 6/2/2015, IDC, Left, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 1/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (DUAL) Surgery 8/6/2015 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 11/3/2015 AC + T (Taxotere) Radiation Therapy 5/2/2016 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 6/28/2016 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 12/9/2016 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 2/14/2017 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 3/26/2017 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 9/1/2017 Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Silicone implant

Jul 23, 2017 04:03PM BrooksideVT wrote:

No. She and I had PM'd a bit, but not during the last few months she was posting.

Dx 11/21/2012, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/7/2013 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 2/21/2013 Breast Hormonal Therapy 4/1/2013 Arimidex (anastrozole), Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Hormonal Therapy 7/4/2014 Aromasin (exemestane) Hormonal Therapy 11/21/2014 Arimidex (anastrozole), Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Hormonal Therapy 9/28/2015 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Page 1 of 1 (9 results)