Join Us

We are 218,032 members in 84 forums discussing 160,858 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Gerson therapy

Forum: Alternative Medicine —

This forum is a safe, judgement-free place to discuss Alternative medicine. Alternative medicine refers to treatments that are used INSTEAD of standard, evidence-based treatment. Breastcancer.org does NOT recommend or endorse alternative medicine.

Posted on: Sep 1, 2017 11:30PM

Nshank05 wrote:

Hello everyone,

My mom has stage IV breast cancer that has metastasized to her bones and liver. She has been battling this terrible disease for 10 years as this is the third time the cancer has come back. She has been getting chemotherapy treatments but each one doesn't seem to do the trick. Today she found out the tumor in her liver has gotten quite large over the past three months and now has many smaller tumors surrounding it as well. She feels very defeated at this point and has a doctor tell her about Gerson therapy. I was wondering if anyone has tiredness or knows anyone that has tried Gerson therapy? I am very skeptical of it and am very worried my mom might make a rash decision in hopes that this will cure it. I am reading mixed reviews and am not sure what to believe. Any insight would be helpful. Thank you

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)

Posts 1 - 4 (4 total)

Sep 2, 2017 02:48AM Momine wrote:

First of all, I am so sorry for what your mother is facing and what you are both going through. It is, indeed, a terrible disease.

There is no evidence to suggest that Gerson therapy works. Unfortunately there is no cure for metastatic cancer. There are rare instances of spontaneous remission, where the cancer decides to lay off for reasons we don't know. It is, however, very rare.

Gerson therapy is also both expensive and difficult. In other words, it is not likely to contribute to your mother's quality of life, whereas for example marijuana might, even if it doesn't help against the cancer itself.

What are the doctors telling her? The chemo your mother is getting now is considered palliative chemo. The purpose is to slow down the cancer and alleviate some of the symptoms. Sometimes doctors do not make clear that chemo in stage 4 is for this purpose, leaving the patient with the idea that it could be curative. The number one concern, in my opinion, should be quality of life at this stage in the game and if your mom's doctors are not willing to have that discussion, including listening to her concerns and talking to her about things like Gerson therapy, perhaps consider finding a new medical team.

Dx 6/1/2011, ILC, 5cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, 7/23 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 6/20/2011 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 9/13/2011 Mastectomy: Left, Right Radiation Therapy 1/9/2012 Surgery 3/8/2012 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 4/1/2012 Femara (letrozole)

Sep 2, 2017 06:19AM Heidihill wrote:

I don´t know anyone personally who has tried Gerson therapy, but I would be scared of some potential harmful side effects which the clinics offering the therapy may not be equipped to deal with (see link). As a general theory of cancer, I can see the appeal. Reducing toxins, infections, inflammation allows the body to recognize and fight cancer cells. Gerson cured his migraines with this diet, but it is a long way from migraines to cancer even though cancer is in part an inflammatory disease. I have tried the anti-inflammatory approach myself but not in the Gerson way (no coffee enemas for me) and in conjunction with conventional therapy. I eat a lot of organic fruits and veggies but not in the quantities Gerson therapists prescribe. My liver would have to be working too hard to process all that, I think. I believe in making lifestyle changes, exercise being at the top. I would not have time for exercise if I were following the Gerson regimen on my own, which is a full-time job. The Anti-Cancer Way of Life by Dr. Servan-Schreiber is a widely recommended book if your mom is looking for lifestyle tips. Dr. Weil also has some anti-inflammatory diet advice.

Dx 8/2007, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, Grade 2, 2/19 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Hormonal Therapy 3/25/2015 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Sep 5, 2017 08:12AM au0rei wrote:

Hi,

I am also searching out on Gerson therapy. I had surgery chemo radio done. Currently on immunotherapy.

I watched at least one video on you tube. Go to  you tube and type 'Gerson therapy breast cancer survivor'

Not sure if your mum's cancer is the same as this lady. She only did surgery and Gerson and she was cured.

I am very sure there are many out there who actually used alternative therapies to cure their cancer.

Wishing your mum the very best.

Is she still taking meats and animal products all this time with regards to all the recurrences? xxx

Sep 5, 2017 09:56AM Momine wrote:

au0rei, if the cancer was early stage, then surgery would be the cure in itself. The original poster is talking about her mother who has stage IV, with metastasis in the liver.

Dx 6/1/2011, ILC, 5cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, 7/23 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 6/20/2011 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 9/13/2011 Mastectomy: Left, Right Radiation Therapy 1/9/2012 Surgery 3/8/2012 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 4/1/2012 Femara (letrozole)

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)