We are 223,501 members in 82 forums discussing 157,287 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Miracle 6 months after diagnosis

Forum: Alternative Medicine —

This forum is a safe, judgement-free place to discuss Alternative medicine. Alternative medicine refers to treatments that are used INSTEAD of standard, evidence-based treatment. Breastcancer.org does NOT recommend or endorse alternative medicine.

Posted on: Sep 22, 2018 11:34AM - edited Dec 28, 2018 09:05AM by Moderators

PurpleHair wrote:

I was diagnosed in March with Stage 2b HER2+, ER+100%, Left breast tumor 1.5 cm, 3 affected lymph nodes in armpit, the largest was 3 cm. Type was Aggressive. I had four oncologist tell me it is impossible to get rid of this type of tumor using natural methods. They said if I delayed chemo the tumor will double in size within 2-3 months. I am 50 years old, asian female.

I refused conventional treatment because I intuitively knew I could heal naturally. I also I don't have a strong fear of death due to a spiritual awakening I had in 2012 so I took a different approach that I felt more comfortable with. I use CBD cannabis oil and natural supplements as well as juicing and eating organic fruits and vegetables. My weight has gone from 160 lbs at diagnosis to 135 lbs today. Most importantly I use meditation and energy work to clear my body of deeply stored emotions of grief, lack of self-worth, anger, fear. My journey has been amazing so far and I am so grateful for this experience. My lifestyle has changed significantly for the better.

It's been 6 months now and my most recent CT scan shows the tumor is completely gone. They can not detect it to give it a measurement. The largest armpit lymph node is 30% smaller now measuring 2.1 cm instead of 3 cm. I feel really great physically mentally and emotionally. Very strong and self empowered. I have no idea if sharing this helps anyone. I have much compassion for anyone having to deal with cancer. The last thing I want to do is shame or make anyone feel dis empowered because they made different choices. There are no right/wrong choices, where you are is exactly where you should be. Not matter what you do, don't let self doubt take hold you have to be your #1 cheerleader. If anyone is interested in talking to my experience I am open to it. Send me a private message. I know when I was first diagnosed and wanted to opt out conventional treatment I would have loved to talk to someone about it who has gone down the same path. God bless!

NOTE FROM BREASTCANCER.ORG MODERATORS:

Stepping in to say that Breastcancer.org respects the choices of our members, however we do not recommend or endorse alternative treatment. Complementary medicine is not alternative medicine. Complementary medicine is USED WITH evidence-based conventional care. Alternative medicine is USED INSTEAD OF conventional medicine.Because complementary medicine can be combined or integrated with conventional medical treatment, it is also called "integrative medicine." We encourage you to talk with your doctors, and understand the research before making your treatment decisions.

Complementary and Holistic Medicine

Dx 3/8/2018, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3

Page 6 of 6 (155 results)

Posts 151 - 155 (155 total)

Oct 8, 2019 10:07AM L-O-R-I wrote:

Congrats PebblesV!! You to Diane and Jons_girl!! It is a great feeling when tests come back good. When you are doing everything that you know to do, to improve your chances of recovery, it is like a huge reward. Kind of like a pay day! It is a lot of hard work and self-discipline. It is something that takes constant thought, I find. I used to diet or exercise sporadically and people would say to me, "You have to make it a life-style." I didn't know what that meant until I found myself fighting this horrible disease. Now I know that all the changes that I have made will be permanent, which is what they meant by changing your life-style. I love my new life-style and would never want to change it. I feel amazing and look so much better too. I am loving life!! Congrats to everyone in this Alternative Medicine forum for being daring and realizing that you are also the one that you have to depend on, and not just your Doctors. Two heads are always better than one!!

Hug

Philippians 4:13 Surgery 4/18/2018 Lumpectomy: Right Dx 4/21/2018, IDC/IDC: Cribriform, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC)

Oct 8, 2019 04:39PM Jons_girl wrote:

Thank you LORI. I agree it is tough work. I am not good regarding regular exercise. We live on a farm so I do have to work twice a day in the barn. But I don't normally go out and exercise for 1/2 hr every day. I know they say to do that though.

Dx 6/2017, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 7/5/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel

Oct 8, 2019 05:14PM marijen wrote:

Pebbles, I’m curious. Did your doctors know that your two positive nodes were positive before they were removed?

Oct 10, 2019 02:13AM PebblesV wrote:

Lori - thank you! I feel elated. I feel like it's a new lease on life. And I'm going to keep up my healthier eating habits and exercise! I may PM you for some advice along the way.

Marijen - only when they were removed. Surgeon wanted to do a full axillary node dissection after that but was very honest about a 40% risk of lymphedema. I declined based on these studies I found, and the fact that I knew I would be undergoing radiation and tamoxifen treatment. Plus, manage with nutrition and exercise as well, which is my way of doing what I can to prevent recurrence. The radiologist treated my nodes as well during radiation therapy, and while there was a 15% risk of lymphedema with that, I was OK with that level risk (like I said, every decision is made based on your own personal risk benefit scenario). You can't get your nodes back if they are surgically removed. You can always strengthen what's still there. Today, I am playing tennis, swimming, dancing and doing weights and yoga as I did not get lymphedema, and I'm cancer-free! So I have no regrets on the decision I made.

At the end of the day, I think we all just need to make the decision that is right for us personally, just be educated about it, and feel good going in, and take it one day at a time from there. And also respect other people's decisions, even if they are different from ours.

Anyways, here are some of the studies that I found (and shared with my medical team) which ultimately helped with my decision to not do the full axillary node dissection.

If you want a quick 30-second read, this one sums it up best:

https://www.everydayhealth.com/breast-cancer/treatment/breast-cancer-you-really-need-your-lymph-nodes-removed/

"Half of the women in the study had only a few lymph nodes removed (sentinel lymph node dissection) from under the underarm, while the other half had a large number of lymph nodes removed, a procedure known as axillary lymph node dissection. But after 10 years of follow-up, both groups had similar rates of disease recurrence and survival."

The actual studies I found at the time:

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/2653737

"These findings do not support the use of axillary lymph node dissection when metastases are found with sentinel lymph node sampling in women with cT1-2M0 breast cancer."

"At a median follow-up of 9.3 years (interquartile range, 6.93-10.34 years), the 10-year overall survival was 86.3% in the SLND alone group and 83.6% in the ALND group (HR, 0.85 [1-sided 95% CI, 0-1.16]; noninferiority P = .02). The 10-year disease-free survival was 80.2% in the SLND alone group and 78.2% in the ALND group (HR, 0.85 [95% CI, 0.62-1.17]; P = .32)."

(higher survival and disease-free survival in the SLND - aka Sentinel Node Dissection - groups!)

"Ten years of follow-up confirm that women with 1 or 2 positive sentinel nodes and clinical T1 or T2 tumors undergoing lumpectomy with whole-breast irradiation and systemic therapy experience no worse local control, disease-free survival, or overall survival with elimination of ALND. Application of these findings in clinical practice has the potential to avoid the morbidity of ALND without diminution of survival outcomes in 61% to 83% of women with these characteristics.19,26 The routine use of ALND for all patients with positive sentinel nodes is no longer justified based on these 10-year overall survival results."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21304082

"Among patients with limited SLN metastatic breast cancer treated with breast conservation and systemic therapy, the use of SLND alone compared with ALND did not result in inferior survival."

Now what's interesting is this study JUST came out on BreastCancer.org echoing basically the same thing, but this data wasn't available to me when I made my decision.

https://www.breastcancer.org/research-news/outcome-same-for-early-bc-tx-w-node-rx-or-sx

This echoes why I strongly believe you have to do your own research, which includes but is not limited to talking to your medical team, and then make the best decision for yourself.

Dx 9/7/2018, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 2/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 9/19/2018 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 10/29/2018 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

4 hours ago marijen wrote:

Wow you really did your homework Pebbles. But I for one could not be comfortable not knowing if they’re weren’t more positive nodes regardless of the studies. But that is just me. Did they at least do imaging of your armpit, like an MRI? I hope so. You dhould post all that info at the new topic, Should I get an ALND?

Page 6 of 6 (155 results)