UPDATE from the original Nov 3, 2011 thread "Discussion Board Security Tips".
Help keep our Community safe, and protect your own privacy and security by not submitting personally identifiable information in Posts and Topics, or in your biography. Review our Privacy Statement here.
- All posts and screen names are searchable using Google and other search engines. Although Private Message content is not searchable, everything you post in public can be read by others.
- For your posting ID, don't use your real name, recognizable nickname, address/s, phone number/s, workplace or school, names of kids or pets, or any other detail that can specifically identify you to an imaginative searcher.
- If you originally registered using your real name, you can change it any time from the My Profile link at the top of the page, then go to the Settings tab and the Edit link beside your name.
- If you want to share personal information with members you know and trust, do so only using the Private Message function.
- To protect your privacy (from nosey extended family members, co-workers, etc.) consider using an avatar that's not a picture of you. Members use pics of flowers, animals, mythological creatures, as well as monograms and many other visuals. Or make a representative avatar, such as these:
Custom avatars made using tools from: Mad Men (left, and right), South Park