We are 221,170 members in 81 forums discussing 156,124 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Weakly ER Positive and Highly PR Positive breast cancer.

Forum: Mixed Type Breast Cancer — Meet others who have mixed type breast cancer.

Posted on: Dec 22, 2016 05:46AM

Shivani wrote:

Hi,

My name is Shivani (33 yrs old) and I am from Bangalore, India. I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2015 after I found a lump in my right breast which also had spread to my lymph nodes. At the time of diagnosis, my doctors found very tiny suspicious lung nodules.

My ER value is 2 and PR is 7 (in the Allred scoring system), which my doctor says is ER / PR positive but ER is only weakly positive. My HER 2 value is negative.

Treatment

I received chemotherapy for close to 6 months. My doctor started me on the FEC combination, but discontinued it after 2 cycles because of poor response. Fortunately, after that the drug Paclytaxyl showed really good response and the tumor shrank massively. I also got a lumpectomy done susbequently and received radiation on my breast and underarm.

My doctor also put me on a hormone therapy ( Exemestane ), with which I did not have any major side effects. After a break for treatment, I continued going to my job, and still feel absolutely fine. In all my scans thereafter, there was no evidence of disease and the tiny lung nodules also had disappeared

However, in my latest consultation and scan (almost two years after my first diagnosis), the tiny lung nodules have reappeared. My doctor also can feel an enlargement in a lymph node in my underarm. When my doctor told me this, it felt like a punch in the gut :(

Does anyone have experience with this 'odd' combination of weak ER but high PR ? What treatment options did you get offered ? I also read somewhere that weak ER positive tumors behave more like triple negative tumors. Is this true ?

Worried and confused ...

-

S

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)

Posts 1 - 5 (5 total)

Dec 22, 2016 08:30AM Meow13 wrote:

I was the opposite 95% er+, and less than 1% pr, so pr-. I did 4 years anastrozole then exemestane. Being 33 years old I am suprised you were or are taking exemestane. You must be post menopausal already?

I have read the the same thing that weak er+ is more like triple negative. I wonder can they biopsy the lung nodules. You had radiation so could it be a result of that? Maybe scar tissue.

Dec 22, 2016 04:02PM Moderators wrote:

Hi Shivani,

We just wanted to take a moment to welcome you to Breastcancer.org. We're sure you'll find our boards a great source of knowledge, advice, and support.

You may also want to post in the Hormonal Therapy forum, where you may reach others who can help.

We hope this helps and look forward to hearing more from you soon.

--The Mods

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Dec 22, 2016 10:16PM Shivani wrote:

Hello @Meow13,

I forgot to mention that I was also taking a Goserlin injection once a month, so it was a 'induced' menopause. Which is why exemestane was permitted.

My doctor said the lung nodules were so tiny they can't be biopsied. I wish the lung nodules are scar tissue, however do you think that's possible since they had disappeared and appeared back again ? My doctor says this is the biggest proof they are malignant (disappearance after chemo and reappearance now). Also, I recieved targeted radiation on my right breast and right under-arm.

Hello Moderators,

Thank you for the welcome. I am finding this to be such a good support system. I will post in the hormone therapy section as well. Thank you again,

-

S

Dec 22, 2016 10:59PM Meow13 wrote:

Well if they are cancer and they didappear with treatment that is encouraging. So sorry you are dealing with this and at such a young age. Good luck to you.

Dec 22, 2016 11:08PM MinusTwo wrote:

Shivani - I just posted on the second thread you started.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)