We are 207,418 members in 81 forums discussing 149,525 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Mixed Type Breast Cancer → Topic: Multiple tumors in the breast with different cancer types

Topic: Multiple tumors in the breast with different cancer types

Forum: Mixed Type Breast Cancer — Meet others who have mixed type breast cancer.

Posted on: Jan 31, 2018 02:10PM

peaceandhappiness wrote:

Multiple tumors in the breast with different cancer types

Hello, I was diagnosed with breast cancer on December 1 2017. I had a mastectomy of my left breast on Jan 4th 2018. It turns out that I had 3 tumors in that breast which were all different kinds of cancer. One was metaplastic (which occurs in less than 1% of all breast cancers), one was IDC, and the other was adenosquamas carcinoma. All three are triple negative. Has anyone else had anything similar to this? It’s been 4 weeks since my mastectomy and my doctors have still have not come up with a treatment plan. Thank you in advance for reading my post.

Page 1 of 1 (12 results)

Posts 1 - 12 (12 total)

Jan 31, 2018 04:59PM Trishyla wrote:

Different kind of cancer, but yes, I had 8 tumors spread across both breasts with 4 distinct types of cancer. ER/PR + , HER2- IDC and ILC on the left with 7 foci, and triple negative IDC and ILC on the right. Had 5 months of neoadjuvant chemo then a BMX with immediate Diep flap reconstruction, then 5 months of Xeloda. Just finished my final chemo on January 2nd. It's a hard regimen, but doable.

I know it's tough right now, but it will be better when you have a treatment plan in place.

Sending hugs. Let us know what treatment you'll be having.

lTrish

Dx 8/30/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 8/30/2016, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Dx 9/6/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 9/28/2016 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 4/4/2017 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap

Feb 1, 2018 08:29AM - edited Feb 1, 2018 08:30AM by dtad

Hi. I had 2 tumors in mt left breast. One was IDC and the other was ILC. The ILC only showed up on a preoperative MRI for the IDC. It was missed on both a 3D mammo and U/S. So if I didn't have IDC I never would have know I had ILC. Funny how something good comes out of something bad. Good luck to all...

Dx 3/20/2015, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 4/10/2015, ILC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/21/2015 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant

Feb 1, 2018 10:03PM - edited Feb 1, 2018 11:15PM by Moderators

This Post was deleted by Moderators.

Feb 2, 2018 12:22AM Insideout2 wrote:

I found out I had two primaries when I had a MRI guided biopsy.

Dx 12/2017, Left, Stage IIA, ER-/PR-, HER2- (FISH) Chemotherapy 1/30/2018 FAC Chemotherapy FAC

Feb 2, 2018 02:54AM - edited Feb 2, 2018 02:55AM by Meow13

I am similar to dtad except my 2 tumors were er+ and pr-. I was told mastectomy was indicated. Four months later did the DIEP.

Feb 2, 2018 12:23PM peaceandhappiness wrote:

Wow Trish, you had a doozy. You must be one strong woman! How are you feeling now? Is your life getting back into a normal or semi-normal routine again ? I sure hope so.

Feb 2, 2018 12:24PM - edited Feb 2, 2018 12:26PM by peaceandhappiness

dTad, So lucky they found it! Where are you now in your treatment?

Feb 2, 2018 12:29PM peaceandhappiness wrote:

meow13, what is a DIEP? Is that the type of reconstruction you had? I’m not caught up on the acronyms yet.

Feb 2, 2018 12:36PM Trishyla wrote:

I'm working on it, peaceandhappiness. I just finised my final Xeloda on January 2nd. That was more for mop up, especially for the triple negative. The hardesdt part for me is not knowing what my odds are for reoccurance. Each one on It's own has a fairly low chance of metastecizing, but all of them combined? Who knows. Just have to take it one day at a time.

Have they come up with a treatment plan yet? You may want to get a second opinion at a larger cancer center. They have more experience with "unusual " types of breast cancer. I'm fortunate that City of Hope is just a few miles from my house. Makes it easier knowing world renowned doctors are on your team!

Keep us posted.

Trish

Dx 8/30/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 8/30/2016, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Dx 9/6/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 9/28/2016 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 4/4/2017 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap

Feb 2, 2018 12:42PM peaceandhappiness wrote:

Today was the big day...the day my doctors were going to tell me my treatment plan. They were suppose to have a plan ready at my post-op visit on Jan 10, but because my situation is so rare, they said they wanted to collaborate with the hospital's tumor board first . That meeting was on Jan 23. I walked in on Jan 25 (because I couldn’t get an appointment ) and asked about my plan, and they said they still don't know yet. Disappointing. So today, you know the big day my friends, family and I have been waiting for, the doctor walks into the room and says “ so what brings you in today?" My mouth just dropped to the floor. They (my surgeon, radiation oncologist, and chemo oncologist) hadn't even met to develop a plan! I was livid and walked out. Thank god I have a second opinion scheduled on Wednesday. I mean, I entrusted them with my life!

Jun 9, 2018 07:26PM FaithsMama wrote:

peaceandhappiness: What was your treatment plan?

I had two tumors in one breast, each with a different type of cancer. I too am awaiting my treatment and oncotype. I too am told because of the rareness of my type of diagnosis, that a treatment plan will take longer to determine. 

I do wonder how many of us are out there?

Dx 3/30/2018, IDC, Right, 1cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR-, HER2- (IHC) Dx 3/30/2018, IDC, Right, 1cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 5/18/2018 Lymph node removal; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap

Jun 13, 2018 01:32PM vlnrph wrote:

I had both ILC (finally seen on digital mammogram after years of 'architectural distortion' followed each time by unremarkable ultrasounds) and also a tiny non-palpable ductal tumor found by MRI in a separate quadrant.

Presentation with multiple primaries, especially prior to menopause, might be a reason to consider genetic counseling. If a mutation is detected, that information may affect the treatment plan.

IDC too! Rt MX+DIEP 4-2011; ALND 5-2011 d/t micromets; TC X 4; tamoxifen; lymphedema as of 9-18-11; switch to letrozole 3-15-14; Discovery made during chemo=I'm a human BEING, not a human DOING Dx 3/7/2011, ILC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/25 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 1 of 1 (12 results)