We are 184,449 members in 80 forums discussing 139,679 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Coping with Holidays, Special Days and Anniversaries → Topic: Feelings about breast cancer awareness month

Topic: Feelings about breast cancer awareness month

Forum: Coping with Holidays, Special Days and Anniversaries — Holidays and special days, like birthdays and anniversaries, can be filled with complex emotions. Are they a time to celebrate or are they extra difficult? Share your feelings and experiences here.

Posted on: Oct 2, 2015 06:42AM

Moderators wrote:

October is Breast Cancer Awareness month, which can be an overwhelming time for many women and men affected by breast cancer, but could also be seen as a month of hope and progress against the disease.

We want to hear from you about what you think and feel approaching this month.

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Page 3 of 3 (64 results)

Posts 61 - 64 (64 total)

Feb 10, 2017 04:28PM - edited Feb 10, 2017 04:31PM by ChiSandy

Is there anyone not living in a cave who isn't “aware" of breast cancer? What the public needs to learn is:

1. It's not about "saving the breast." Early detection doesn't always mean being able to have just a lumpectomy. It's about saving a life.

2. Not everyone diagnosed with breast cancer will die of it. Some will live out their allotted lifespan, living with it (knowingly or unknowingly) rather than dying of it.

3. Not everyone diagnosed and treated will be “cured." 1/3 of early stage breast tumors come back at one stage or another, some of which will be metastatic, aka Stage IV.

4. There is no cure for metastatic breast cancer. If no other cause of death intervenes, it will eventually kill its host.

5. Some Stage IV patients have a shorter survival period than others. But many achieve a long “no evidence of disease" period (what in other cancers is called “remission").

6. There are many kinds, not just stages, of breast cancers. There are subtypes as well. Breast cancer (just like heart disease or infection) is not one single disease.

7. Everyone born with breasts is at risk. Men get it too.

Leaving aside “pinktober" and the commercial exploitation thereof, I must confess I like the color pink. It looks good on me. It has a new significance (a certain shape of hat) which cannot be further discussed on these open threads without incurring the Moderators' (and many members') wrath. I wear pink whenever I wish, without regard to “awareness" events (to some fundraisers, I wear whatever is flattering, appropriate, in good repair, clean, and fits me. Usually not pink). We need to reclaim pink as just another discretionary color, without regard to its connotations—be they gender-specific or “awareness"-related.

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Feb 10, 2017 05:43PM cliff wrote:

there are a lot of men who dont know that they can get it too. and a lot that dont know they have it already. unfortunately, men usually progress farther in the disease becase of never getting checked. most doctors do not check men during routine exams, but check women because everyone is aware of womens breast cancer. I would really, really like to have know sooner about my cancer growing to stage 4.

Dx 3/16/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, 2/21 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery 3/31/2016 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Feb 10, 2017 05:49PM Hopeful82014 wrote:

I'm with ChiSandy on the issue of reclaiming pink - I hate that it's been co-opted by cancer (and had for many years prior to dx). In my book, October needs to reclaim it's association with Fall and Hallowe'en and should be all about orange and gold and black. Maybe we could give pink to January, since it's such a dreary month and could use some color? ;)

Stage IIA. One known positive node at dx. Six months neoadjuvant Femara. Participating in Herceptin/Neuvax E-75 trial post-treatment. PALB2 mutation. Dx 9/2014, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, ER+/PR-, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 10/13/2014 Femara (letrozole) Radiation Therapy 6/17/2015 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes Targeted Therapy 11/2/2015 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Surgery Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel

Feb 10, 2017 06:06PM - edited Feb 10, 2017 06:07PM by Traveltext

Most studies are showing male bc awareness in the community running at 30% as opposed to female bc at 100%. We have a lot of work to improve things for men who have, or are likely to have, this disease. Unfortunately pink charities are not doing enough to help men. I mean, if the figures were the other way around, there would be an outcry. Cliff is the perfect example of a guy falling through the bc cracks. My diagnosis was delayed for three months and I was not far off stage IV at the time. It's not the color pink I hate at all, it's the nonchalant attitude to this matter shown by bc charities and perpetrated in their publicity drives.

One percent of those newly diagnosed with breast cancer are guys. I'm one of those. Recently diagnosed and treated for prostate cancer. Now NED for both. More on Male BC here. Dx 3/6/2014, IBC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, 2/23 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 3/17/2014 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 7/28/2014 Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 9/14/2014 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 11/3/2014 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Page 3 of 3 (64 results)