Topic: CALLING ALL ARTISTS- Let's make an art gallery!

Forum: Acknowledging and honoring our Community — Share accomplishments, milestones, goals of community members, family members or yourself.

Posted on: Sep 24, 2015 12:24PM - edited Sep 24, 2015 02:26PM by moderators

Posted on: Sep 24, 2015 12:24PM - edited Sep 24, 2015 02:26PM by moderators

moderators wrote:

We would like to create a slide show gallery of our YOUR art! Paintings, sketches, ceramics, sculpture, crafts, gardens, quilts, photography, jewelry, stained glass, mosaics, poetry .... you name it! We may show this slide show at our annual Rock the Ribbon event on October 22nd.

Please post photos here, even if you have it on another thread, along with your name and location.

We can't wait to see al the talent here!!

To send a PM to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/my/...

Page 53 of 168 (1,675 results)

Dec 12, 2016 04:19AM feelingfeline wrote:

Laurie in the box where you post:

Look at the top - you should see a little icon that looks like 2 mountains.

It's a bit like this one (but no sun)

Click on it and a window will open.

You can then navigate to the place on your computer where your picture is stored

Then click the "open" button and the picture will be added to your post.

You can then "submit " your post as normal.

Dx 1/20/2012, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIIA, 3/22 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery 2/8/2012 Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Left): Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left) Chemotherapy 4/3/2012 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 7/31/2012 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy 8/6/2012 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 8/1/2015 Aromasin (exemestane)

Dec 12, 2016 10:37AM - edited Dec 12, 2016 11:28AM by QuinnCat

Flaming June is still on the back burner for a forgery. I have decided to do Sandro Botticelli's Portrait of a Lady for the forgery show. In the meantime, I have started my first oil painting in color (actually I have one color painting previous, but my heart wasn't in it). This is an actual kitten belonging to an Austrian FB friend. IT IS NOT FINISHED. I imagine I will spend another 10-20 hours on it. It is the same breed of cat I own, a Devon Rex. Very furless at this age (15 weeks, though some have fur too at this age), big ears, big eyes. He looks very alien right now because the eyes aren't finished (pupils very indiscernable). So much left to do.

P.S. I am not an "artist," so the title of this thread "Calling all Artists" is a bit misleading. I'm trying to learn how to oil paint. I'm not saying this is great, but I am saying I had no idea I could even do this 4 months ago, so I am posting mostly because I want to encourage others that might think they want to learn to paint. After BC I found myself in retirement earlier than planned. One of my jobs, was map making and required some visual media skills. I knew I would miss that part of the job and luckily, my little town, has a fantastic oil painting teacher. I am now convinced a monkey can be taught to paint, so I must redefine what "artist" means. I'm still searching for that, but I think creativity must play a part. I have near zero creativity and admire that in people who do! Having said that, really, anyone can learn to paint (with the exception of watercolor - never could get that!).

Dec 12, 2016 12:54PM barbe1958 wrote:

I can't oil paint!!! Go figure...

I believe we all have an artistic talent inside that some of us find and others never even look for. Being creative is very healing.

Dx 12/10/2008, IDC: Papillary, Left, 1cm, Stage IB, 2/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/16/2008 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right Dx 2/4/2016, IDC: Papillary, Left, Stage IV, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 2/11/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 2/17/2016 Whole breast: Lymph nodes, Chest wall

Dec 12, 2016 01:17PM wren44 wrote:

Quinncat, I love the painting, especially the little paws with claws. They are odd looking as kittens, especially if you're used to furry guys. I'm with you on art. I'm doing watercolor despite a lack of talent. The important part is that I love doing it and am having a good time. My goal is to be able to sketch a location for memory rather than taking a photo. I was thinking of French cafes but I'm going to have to settle for ones here, I think. A woman in my art class went to Yellowstone and made a little diary of her trip. She paints very small and is good (helps). Each page has a tiny painting of something she saw with an explanation or diary entry on the remainder of the page. She even makes her own tiny notebooks using good paper and cutting to her preferred size. My class has beginners who have never painted and some who are very good and just like the company.

Lumpectomy and re-excision followed by mastectomy of right breast. Five years of anastrasole completed. Chemotherapy 6/17/2022 Other Surgery Lumpectomy (Right) Surgery Mastectomy (Right)

Dec 12, 2016 03:14PM QuinnCat wrote:

I think doing art with others is a very nice experience Wren. It would not feel right doing any art in a vacuum.

I do think, even plen arie painters will take a photo for future use (as well as a sketch book). I know I would have to!!!

Dec 12, 2016 03:39PM Smurfette26 wrote:

It's fantastic QuinnCat. Wish I could get motivated to begin some crafting again. Have not picked up a brush or needle since before my BC diagnosis. Love seeing the beautiful work here. Thanks for sharing.

Dx 9/12/2015, ILC, Right, Grade 1, 1/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/9/2015 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right Chemotherapy 11/8/2015 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 1/14/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Dec 12, 2016 04:04PM gmmiph wrote:

Trick Arts from the Net that may give more ideas and inspirations for artists.

Matthew 18:20 "For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them". Dx 2/10/2016, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 1/14 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 9/21/2016 Chemotherapy 11/3/2016 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Dec 12, 2016 04:09PM Mom2fourplusmore wrote:

Quinncat, you said you're not an artist? Oh I disagree. That cat is amazing. I thought it was a photo. People who hold a natural talent don't usually recognize it. My brother sings and says anyone can learn to sing. I assure you that's not true. And my kids can attest to my horrible voice. When you say a monkey can learn it's because you have a natural tendency and it comes easy. Don't underestimate yourself. Can't wait to see what else you start painting. Good for you

Dx 5/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 5/2016, LCIS/ILC, Left, Grade 2, ER-/PR+ Dx 6/2016, ILC, Left, Grade 2 Dx 6/30/2016, ILC/IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/30/2016 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy 9/1/2016 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Dec 12, 2016 04:42PM - edited Dec 12, 2016 04:46PM by QuinnCat

Mom2Four - seriously, it is my teacher. He learned from the best (in Chicago) in an Atelier very difficult to get into. He has just the right touch (and vast knowledge and mad skills) for teaching. Let me see...this is the second painting a former coworker did under this teacher. He told me he had never done oil painting before, only read about it (this is his forgery):

Even our teacher says he could teach a monkey to paint. There really are only a handful of rules. Also, I am witnessing this monkey teacher thing with the 20 or so students he teaches.

Dec 12, 2016 04:48PM barbe1958 wrote:

I consider myself very artistic and I can't paint oils!!! I agree that it has to be inherent before it can come out well. Having said that, I admire anyone who has the guts to put something out there. It took me years before I could call myself an artist. As I began to sell my work that certainly built my confidence.

I think that cat IS amazing!!!!!!

Dx 12/10/2008, IDC: Papillary, Left, 1cm, Stage IB, 2/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/16/2008 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right Dx 2/4/2016, IDC: Papillary, Left, Stage IV, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 2/11/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 2/17/2016 Whole breast: Lymph nodes, Chest wall

Page 53 of 168 (1,675 results)

Scroll to top button