We are 191,699 members in 81 forums discussing 142,758 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Acknowledging and honoring our Community → Topic: Would like your quotes about your fears for a new campaign

Topic: Would like your quotes about your fears for a new campaign

Forum: Acknowledging and honoring our Community — Share accomplishments, milestones, goals of community members, family members or yourself. Just finished treatment? Just got married? Watched your child graduate? Ran a big run? Been a huge help to members in our community? Let's honor our members here!

Posted on: May 5, 2017 10:33AM

Moderators wrote:

• Medicating Breastcancer.org is launching a fundraising and awareness campaign around the fears and anxieties associated with breast cancer. Would you be willing to share your point of view? Your name, image, and powerful quote may be featured in a variety of ways to educate people about the need for more education, support, and access. Thanks for your help!!!

If you'd like to share your perspective, please submit your answer to one of these three questions to ttf@breastcancer.org, post it below, or PM the Mods.

• What scares you most about breast cancer?
  • How did you manage the fear?
  • How did your support system help ease your fears?

All submissions must include your name, quote (35 words or less), and image (a headshot sized 600x600px, web resolution: 72 dpi).

If you would like to share your point of view but remain anonymous, please send your submission to the mods via direct message. Submissions may be featured in a graphic or video in the future (*username, image will not be used).

Breastcancer.org reserves the right to use language in its entirety or in part. No creative license will be taken. Your likeness and quote will be shown to you before it is used.

Examples of ideal submissions:

What scares you the most?

How did you manage the fear?

How did your support system help ease your fears?

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Page 2 of 2 (51 results)

Posts 31 - 51 (51 total)

Jun 2, 2017 08:14PM WenchLori wrote:

It84, abeautiful picture of true joy!

If I stop laughing, I'll start crying! Lori Dx 3/18/2016, IDC: Papillary, Left, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 2/13 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/6/2016 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 8/5/2016 Taxol (paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy 2/20/2017 External: Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 5/23/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole) Chemotherapy AC

Jun 3, 2017 03:25PM Adarodriguez wrote:

I have a lump in the middle of my upper chest. For many year it was a blackhead... but now it turn into this big hard lump that will not pop. The clinic that I worked at tried to numb it and drain it with a needle but it wouldn't drain. Now it's getting bigger very painful and red around it. I'm supper scared and was wondering.. what should I do? I guest I was just wanting for it to pop.

Jun 4, 2017 01:21AM Meow13 wrote:

Couldn't it be a fat nodule? They can be hard, I had one on my head around a hair follicle.

Jun 4, 2017 08:24PM Scrbk101 wrote:

hi .. my sister just passed away on April 10,2017 to tnbc. I am still in shock and would like some answers.. it's been the worst few months of my life.

Jun 4, 2017 10:09PM Traveltext wrote:

Scrbk101, there is a forum for caregivers and family HERE that you could join to get some answers.

Have breast & prostate cancer. NED both. More on Male BC

Dx 06/14, IBC, L. 2cm, S IIIB, G 2B, ER+/PR+, HER2- FEC x3, Taxol x3

Mx & 2/23 nodes 07/14

Rads x 33 09/14 and now on Tamox

Jun 5, 2017 02:46AM Meow13 wrote:

So sorry to hear of your sister's passing.

Jun 5, 2017 03:07AM Moderators wrote:

We're so sorry to hear that you're sister passed away Scrbk101, this must be a really hard time for you and your family.

We hope the community will be a source of support for you while you grieve.

Sending you and your family our love,

Heart

The Moderators.

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Jun 5, 2017 07:05AM WenchLori wrote:

I'm so sorry to hear of your sister passing. Sendin gentle healing hugs and prayers for you and your family 🙏💜

If I stop laughing, I'll start crying! Lori Dx 3/18/2016, IDC: Papillary, Left, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 2/13 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/6/2016 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 8/5/2016 Taxol (paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy 2/20/2017 External: Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 5/23/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole) Chemotherapy AC

Jun 9, 2017 10:57PM vrtameshrew wrote:

There is no "family and friends" for me and my kids; I always laugh when people write or say that tripe. There is no support or help although everyone says there is...what a joke...

Jun 9, 2017 10:59PM vrtameshrew wrote:

It's okay to be scared. Go forward always scared or otherwise..take care 'cause no one else will do it for you...

Jun 9, 2017 11:28PM - edited Jun 9, 2017 11:31PM by molliefish

• What scares you most about breast cancer?
  • How did you manage the fear?
  • How did your support system help ease your fears?

I worry my daughter will have breast cancer too.. She turned 15 this week.

I manage my fears by rationalizing that she is only half of my dna and by the time she's my age, I'm sure breast cancer, all cancers will be easily treatable

We recognize that life is a gift, a finite precious gift, as a police officer all too often I've seen how quickly things can go bad... You can't live in fear, you walk past those fears toward the future full of promise.

Dx 5/24/2015, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/8/2015 Lumpectomy: Left Chemotherapy 8/14/2015 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 1/10/2016 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast

Jun 10, 2017 09:05PM Becs511 wrote:

What Scares Me The Most:

I am scared the most by the current stastictis of being a young stage 4 de novo patient. I was diagnosed at 33 and am now 3 years post diagnosis. The current five year survival rate for women with Stage 4 breast cancer who were diagnosed younger than 49 is only 36%. I am terrified that I will not be alive to celebrate my 40th birthday, and that middle age for me will be 18-19 years old at best. - Rebecca

Age at DX: 32. Childhood Leukemia survivor. Triple Positive mets and Triple Negative at the same time! www.theunderbelly.org Dx 5/5/2014, IDC, 5cm, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Targeted Therapy 5/22/2014 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Chemotherapy 5/22/2014 Taxol (paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 1/16/2015 Kadcyla (T-DM1, ado-trastuzumab) Surgery 6/17/2015 Prophylactic ovary removal Dx 7/1/2015, IDC, Left, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 7/20/2015 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Gemzar (gemcitabine) Dx 2/2016, Stage IV, metastasized to brain Radiation Therapy External: Brain Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy Xeloda (capecitabine) Chemotherapy Other

Jun 18, 2017 12:33PM - edited Jun 18, 2017 12:33PM by windingshores

What scares me most is that my pathology results (grade 3, LVI) didn't match my low Oncotype, and after a few opinions, treatment was based on the Oncotype. Will they find, in time, that the Oncotype is not the best guide, and will I? They say the lymphatic invasion was local, but did cells get through?

I have two kids with some special needs, now in mid-20's, but nowhere near ready to leave them.

Little support, save a ride from the hospital after surgery. After mastectomies I walked to the grocery store and bought just a couple of items at a time so I could get them home. My cancer is completely off the minds of family and friends: as far as they are concerned, it's over.

I don't think about it much  but sometimes, all of a sudden, it will hit me. What if I sign a lease for an apartment and it comes back and I need to be elsewhere? That car dealer is talking about a car that will last 10 years, and I wonder if I should get a cheaper one that will last 5. That kind of thing.

Tai Chi is a help, and so is doing art.

Sorry, no image, so I understand my post won't be helpful to the study.

Dx 2/2015, DCIS/ILC/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery Lymph node removal; Mastectomy: Right Surgery Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left Hormonal Therapy

Jun 18, 2017 03:35PM - edited Jun 18, 2017 03:48PM by secondchancetoo

wow....my fears as a two time breast cancer survivor. I really thought I was done with all of this the first time! The second time was a true watershed moment when I knew that this disease could definitely take my life. Even though I am in my mid sixties, I am not ready to leave this planet yet.

Some days I barely think of breast cancer, others, it's literally ALL I can think of. This disease is the mother of all terrorists in my book, because anyone who's ever had it knows it can always come back....years, even decades after it first strikes.

I do feel that it has given me a new appreciation of the simple things in life, a beautiful spring day, the smiles on my children and grandchildrens faces. The love I see in my husbands eyes when I say something funny. Yeah, it's all worth hanging around for....for as long as this life will let me stay

Dx 12/13/2011, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 2/1/2012 Mastectomy: Left Surgery 4/15/2016 Mastectomy: Right Dx 4/20/2016, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER-/PR+, HER2-

Jun 18, 2017 04:06PM Dianarose wrote:

A big fear is another woman will take my place with DH and live the life I thought we were going to.

BC has been a rude awakening of who really cares about you and who doesn't so here's my quote.

Some of those who you loved and cared for the most become strangers and some strangers seem to care the most.

6/10/13 mets to ovary now. Now mets. To peritoneal stage IV Dx 3/22/2012, ILC, Both breasts, 1cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/other, Grade 2, 17/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 5/31/2012 CMF Radiation Therapy 12/3/2012 3DCRT: Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 8/10/2013 Aromasin (exemestane)

Jul 4, 2017 04:06AM Sorella wrote:

I am also afraid that it will return. That is my biggest fear. I have breast lymphedema and am on neutontin due to nerve pain which has persisted since my surgery over 9 months ago. I am afraid that I will never have a day without pain and intrusive thoughts.

Dx 8/24/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 6/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 5, 2017 03:18AM triplenegative wrote:

what scares me the most is my daughter getting this awful disease and of course mine returning you never know.

How did I control my fear? medication still do, that is the new norm for me.

How did support system help the most? Family, friends, doctors and group forums, huge support for me.

Dx 10/3/2007, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 2/6 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Jul 6, 2017 05:23PM rdeesides wrote:

Where do I begin! I mainly am scared for my 9 year old daughter who still needs me to put her to sleep at night. Who will put her to bed, quiet the nightmares and kiss the boo boos if I'm not here? Also, I'm scared for my finances. I am going to be laid off in 8 months. Will I be able to get through treatment before I lose my insurance? Will I have to move because I won't be able to afford my house anymore? I'm afraid of the unknown. Will it come back. Fear is my new normal.

Dx 6/24/2017, IDC: Medullary, Right, 2cm, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2- Dx IDC, Right, 1cm Chemotherapy 8/17/2017 AC + T (Taxol)

Jul 27, 2017 09:27PM - edited Jul 27, 2017 09:28PM by arby

I've been living with BC since Aug 07 and have had 3 surgeries and the standard of care treatments due to 2 recurrences ('09, 2014). I'm getting along well physically and try to stay upbeat through journaling, family time, volunteer involvements, church activities, nurturing friendships, Bible study and prayer, GRANDKIDS, yard work, gardening, and just this summer joining a water exercise class. "You are braver than you think," Christopher Robin told Pooh. I overcame my fear of embarrassment by getting a long sleeve rash guard shirt, paddle board shorts and altering a sports bra to hold my silicon boobs in tight. I tell you, I feel younger and energetic and like a conqueror with my Lands End gear and a sassy "I can do this!" attitude. I encourage any of you to find a way to enjoy life, be creative with solutions and go for it! This is also complying with avoiding lots of sun exposure with the hormone inhibitor med that I'm on for another 2 years. We gotta think outside the box and adapt our clothes, our attitudes, our schedules, whatever! .

Aug 10, 2017 09:28AM 3bears wrote:

I was diagnosed with IDC in November 2016. I'm done with treatment but am getting ready for reconstruction. They are going to put tissue expanders in on September 7th. My biggest fear is recurrance. Or dying before my goal of 90. My faith in God is what causes me to stand today and every day. I know my life is in His hands no matter the day of my death. He knows all about me and what's happening and He is working something good out of it all. Even if it is my family knowing him through this. I have received comfort from my family and Christian friends who support me and pray for me. Also my online support group. I would have been lost without them. They make me feel so much less alone than I would have otherwise.

Dx at 47 ---found the lump on my own. Ready to survive another 40 years!💪 Dx 11/11/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 2/14/2017 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Aug 10, 2017 10:28AM Outfield wrote:

Do you still want fears?

My biggest fear is that I will not be in my children's lives as they grow up.

My second biggest fear is missing out on the rest of my life that I had been planning on: more traveling, furthering my career, spending time with old friends, holding grandchildren.

Page 2 of 2 (51 results)