Join Us

We are 217,648 members in 84 forums discussing 160,665 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Pain all over radiation site

Forum: Pain —

Share important questions and provide support to others experiencing breast cancer and treatment-related pain.

Posted on: May 10, 2012 07:21PM

healthy133 wrote:

It's been two years since I finished my breast cancer treatments.  I had lumpectomy surgery, chemo & radiation.  This occurred on my left side.  I received radiation on my left breast, in the armpit area and down the side to below my breast.  It still feels like my whole left side is bruised, for lack of a better description.  Whenever I try to workout my upper body, it feels like I was used for a punching bag.  Not so much swelling, but it sure is painful.  Was wondering if anyone else is going thru this and have you found any remedies.  Maybe there's even someone out there who has gotten past this point and can offer a little hope and encouragement:):):):)

Page 1 of 1 (10 results)

Posts 1 - 10 (10 total)

May 11, 2012 05:53AM - edited May 11, 2012 05:57AM by doxie

Has truncal LE been ruled out?  Sounds like a possibility.  I'd suggest reposting on the Lymphedema forum.  I don't have LE so cannot offer much more help with this.  

Dx 8/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/1/2011 Lumpectomy: Right Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane) Radiation Therapy Chemotherapy Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel)

May 11, 2012 01:40PM Binney4 wrote:

Healthy, I'll second Doxie's suggestion that you consider truncal lymphedema. Please do come join us on the lymphedema board, and here's some information about truncal lymphedema for you to consider:
http://www.stepup-speakout.org/breast_chest_trunckal_lymphedema.htm

It can be present before you notice any swelling, so do bring it up with your doctor, as they often don't think of it themselves. Here's information about finding a well-trained lymphedema therapist near you; any doctor on your team can write you a referral:
http://www.stepup-speakout.org/Finding_a_Qualified_Lymphedema_Therapist.htm

The good news is that, if it's lymphedema you're dealing with, the treatment is non-invasive and actually comfortable, and treatment usually eliminates both pain and heightened infection risk.

Hope you get solid answers and a "fix" real soon!
Binney

May 11, 2012 09:18PM healthy133 wrote:

Binney..........thank you so much for your reply.  I will definitely check this out.  Appreciate your time.

May 11, 2012 09:19PM healthy133 wrote:

doxie:  Your response is very much appreciated and I am looking into this.

Sep 16, 2012 02:56PM LifeAndQualityOfLife wrote:

I just saw your post and I hope you have found relief, but in case you have not, I can relate my experiences. I too have had pain all over the radiation site. It has been going on for 2 years. My neck also hurt and perhaps the most bothersome were the daily headaches.My quality of life had really deteriorated and dealing with all the pain was no doubt affecting my short-term memory.

I can't tell you how many things I tried, but I recently reviewed the studies and clinical trials about radiation induced fibrosis. There is a Phase 2 clinical trial going on now with people who have radiation indusced fibrosis. The treatment asks subjects to take 400 I.U. of Vitamin E and 3 daily does of a prescription drug for increasing circulation called Pentoxifylline (400 mg). I persuaded my doctor to let me try it.  It has only been a week, but my body is less painful when I touch it and for only the 5th day since this all began, I don't have a heachache!  I'm not sure if this course of action will help, but I would talk with a doctor about it.

keep me posted.

LifeAndQualityOfLife Dx 4/1/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 2/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 16, 2012 11:40PM hotandcold wrote:

I just have to chime in here.  Unfortunately, Oncology or Radiation Drs. don't always want to talk about or consider lymphedema or radiation induce fibrosis.  These are both soft tissue problems. You have to be your own advocate. All my Drs. wanted to do was give me more pain killers.  I am 4 years out from orginal treatment and I still see a Physical Therapist.  I had 5 fields of radiation.  My radiation burns (sunburn look) actually turned up on my back too where the radiation went through from the front.  I have developed a pinched nerve in my shoulder and when the PT works on me she tells me it feels like cement! and it's right where the radiation burn was.  Look for a good Lymphedema Therapist and if you can't find one look for a Physical Therapist. My physical therapist knows about a lymphadema, but isn't trained in that area.    Call around to different places, look in the phone book if your Drs. can't recommend one, and ask if any of the therapist have worked with BC patients.  I found my own therapist and then asked for a referal.  Good luck.

Dx 6/25/2010, IDC, Grade 2, 4/11 nodes, mets, ER-/PR+, HER2+

Sep 17, 2012 03:29AM Momine wrote:

Hotandcold, I also have a rad burn on my back. Freaky looking. 

Dx 6/1/2011, ILC, 5cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, 7/23 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 6/19/2011 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 9/12/2011 Mastectomy: Left, Right Radiation Therapy 1/8/2012 Surgery 3/7/2012 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 3/31/2012 Femara (letrozole)

Sep 17, 2012 01:40PM Binney4 wrote:

Healthy, here's how to find a well-qualified lymphedema therapist near you:
http://www.stepup-speakout.org/Finding_a_Qualified_Lymphedema_Therapist.htm

Be well!
Binney

Sep 17, 2012 04:25PM kkp1 wrote:

Hi I to have pain in my left breast had a lumpectomy dec last year and then radiotherapy which finished in march my breast has for the last 2 months felt very tender  with sharp pains sometimes do not want to go back before my annual checkup in case it is nothing hope you get on ok

Sep 18, 2012 11:51PM evergreen9 wrote:

I finished 6 weeks of rads about 13 months ago, on my right breast, after a lumpectomy and chemo. Rads were uneventful, no problems. No signs of lymphedema.
In last several weeks however, I noticed soreness or tenderness when I touch that breast, or roll onto it in bed. No pain from physical activity. No pain at rest. I don't remember hurting myself.
What could this be?

Living every day with appreciation, loving my supportive husband, and enjoying heaven on earth, in my garden... Dx 11/22/2010, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 8/15 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ Surgery 12/9/2010 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary Chemotherapy 1/25/2011 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxol (paclitaxel), Taxotere (docetaxel) Targeted Therapy 4/25/2011 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Radiation Therapy 6/21/2011 Breast, Lymph nodes

Page 1 of 1 (10 results)