Join Us

We are 217,588 members in 84 forums discussing 160,642 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: phlebitis

Forum: Pain —

Share important questions and provide support to others experiencing breast cancer and treatment-related pain.

Posted on: Sep 30, 2012 08:37PM

crazypenguinsfan wrote:

Just curious if anyone had any issues with phlebitis following surgery. When I had my mastectomy, they placed those sleeves that intermittently pump the legs to prevent leg clots, problem is, they end just above the ankle so the next morning I had terrible pain in my right ankle and it was because they were irritating my veins around my ankle. the veins were stiff and when the nurse saw them, she shut down the machine...Apparently when the machine put the pressure on my legs, it was forcing the blood the wrong way, downwards.... I had issues for months after the surgery. I never had any vein issues before surgery. I think I would have asked for compression stockings during surgery if I knew this could happen. 

So, yesterday, I drove four hours. When I got home, my ankle was in agony, once again I have a puffy painful vein around my ankle- it is hard. I guess I need compression stockings? It is very painful

Steph 

Steph

Page 1 of 1 (1 results)

Posts 1 (1 total)

Dec 8, 2012 11:10PM MarysDen101 wrote:

I have varicose viens on my back of my calf right up my leg to my butt, you need to go to the dr's and make an apt. stocking are a good idea, but you have to watch out for blood clots etc. think you need to have a doppler done on it just to see if it is from a blood clot as well. 

let me know how it goes.

Never change for anyone, be who you are... those who love you will honor you, those that judge you don't belong. ♥♥ DX is Uterine Cancer , stage 1 , removal , 2 rounds rad . NED for 5 yrs Dx 5/15/2007 Surgery 1/2/2013 Lumpectomy: Right Dx 1/3/2013, 1cm

Page 1 of 1 (1 results)