Join Us

We are 219,487 members in 84 forums discussing 161,542 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Pain

Forum: Pain —

Share important questions and provide support to others experiencing breast cancer and treatment-related pain.

Posted on: Nov 14, 2012 01:24PM

Beckster wrote:

I had a lumpectomy and snb 15 days ago i am having pain mostly in my upper arm under my arm pit like prickly feeling it hurts most of the time I can get relief if I wrap a ace bandage losely around it! I was just wondering about how long will this last?

Beckster Dx 10/19/2012, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 3/18 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/30/2012 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Chemotherapy 12/13/2012 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)

Posts 1 - 2 (2 total)

Nov 15, 2012 02:27PM cinnamonsmiles wrote:

I would talk to your surgeon about nerve damage or possible LE or cording. There are medications you can take that are designed for nerve damage pain.There are nerves right near the sentinel nodes that can be nicked during surgical removal or removing them may cause a disruption in the lypmh system which causes swelling which is called lymphedema. Here is a link to cording: www.breastcancer.org/treatment... I also found the medications I take for acute pain work on nerve damage pain and LE flare up pain. Be very specific on exactly what the pain feels like, where you feel it, and anything that relieves it. I wrote my down and read it off to the surgeon.

Unfortuneately, there is no way to predict how long the pain will last. Everyone has different healing times. It is especially difficult with nerve damage pain. What I have found over the past 22 months is that sometimes LE pain and nerve damage pain can feel very similar.

Let us know how you are doing and what they are doing to help you.

Nov 15, 2012 02:39PM momof3boys wrote:

I remember that pain. I used ice packs for a month after my surgery. Even while I slept.

BMX w TE reconstruction 11/11/11, 4 TC, 3/12, 25 Rads 5/12 Tamoxifin 6/12, Prophalactic hysterectomy 12/18/12, Oncotype 16 Dx 10/14/2011, ILC, 4cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)