Join Us

We are 219,487 members in 84 forums discussing 161,542 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: im still haveing pain where my lymphnodes were removed

Forum: Pain —

Share important questions and provide support to others experiencing breast cancer and treatment-related pain.

Posted on: Nov 21, 2012 03:16PM

amandamarie wrote:

My lymph node were removed sept 7th and i still have pain there that stops me from sleeping and interefears with my driving and dressing, i never imagined a small incision could hurt so bad. Ive had two c sections and about 6 other surgeries in my life and this is bt far the most painful. Does anyonenelse still have pain from their lymph nodes being removed months after the fact? I did have rafiation started just over 2 weeks afyer my surgery and the beam did hit my lymphnodes, i know that that made it worse. Ive had to take pain meds and i use a soft pillow that i press against the scar and the pressure helps a bit, i just want to know if anyone else has lingering pain and what helps them

libramommie75@yahoo.com Surgery 8/4/2012 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Dx 8/20/2012, ILC, 1cm, Stage I, 0/9 nodes Radiation Therapy 9/30/2012 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 11/2/2012

Page 1 of 1 (6 results)

Posts 1 - 6 (6 total)

Nov 21, 2012 03:59PM wenweb wrote:

Hi amandamarie,  Yes, I believe it is very common.  I was quite sore for many months after my surgery, both in the node area as well as where the actual growth was removed.  When I thought it was starting to feel better, I would get caught off guard when carrying groceries or something that I would gather up and lean aginst my chest.  I asked my BS about this, and he said that it might be sore forever.

It is much less so now (as you can see I have just passed the 3 year mark :), but I still get caught, again when carrying groceries and in the node area particulary when I am doing yoga and am in a position where my arms are overhead in a stretch.  I can now comfortably lean on the area when sleeping, it did take a long time though.

Sorry to the be bearer of not such good news.  Hope this helped.

You are stronger than you seem, braver than you believe, and smarter than you think you are. A.A. Milne Surgery 9/23/2009 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 11/18/2009 Breast Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole), Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Nov 21, 2012 06:00PM Beesie wrote:

It's normal!  The pain and underarm / arm numbness from node removal often doesn't go away for 6 months or longer.  They really should warn us about that before the surgery! 

“No power so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.” Edmund Burke

Nov 21, 2012 06:48PM 1Athena1 wrote:

amandamarie, I am sorry that you are in pain.

I was lucky in that I never felt any such pain, but I did overcome the discomfort (read: lack of flexibility) by doing physical therapy execises within days of surgery. I suggest that you ask your rad onc and/or your bs for tips - most are very simple exercises that you can do at home. Exercise often helps with pain. They may have sheets with illustrations - or they may recomend PT. If the radiation is increasing the pain, you should definitely let the rad onc know asap.

Anyone diagnosed with cancer should learn to have a healthy disrespect for statistics. Statistics are maths. It's the science which still eludes us. Dx 3/2009, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 3/8 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Nov 21, 2012 06:54PM amandamarie wrote:

Yea i agree we should be warned, i was told nothing of lasting pain, i still would of had the surgery but atleast if i was i warned i would have been prepaired. Its good to know im not alone. Id like to know how other people cope, i dont want to be on pain meds all the time and id like a good nights sleep, its so hard to sleep becauae if i move my arm a certain way or lay on it i wake up in pain and its hard to get back to sleep. I wasnt warned about lymphademea either, after mt surgery they forgot to give me my after care insturctions and i ended up in the er the day after my surgery because the pain was so intense and i didnt have anything to refer to as what was normal, and the er doc and nurse realy didnt know much either. Im glad i found this site

libramommie75@yahoo.com Surgery 8/4/2012 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Dx 8/20/2012, ILC, 1cm, Stage I, 0/9 nodes Radiation Therapy 9/30/2012 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 11/2/2012

Nov 21, 2012 07:12PM amandamarie wrote:

Im done with radiation but that did add to my pain, my rad oncoligest wasnt too helpful, he just kept telling me to hang in there. I found it very hard to raise my arms above my head, i started radiation just about 2 weeks after surgery, i had 2 surgerys and one needlecore biopsey all with in a month of eachother. I wasnt given any instructiins about exercise at all, and in the middle of all this i wound up in the hospitial for a week due to a dental infection and got sent home with a picline for my antibiotics, so im sure that didnt hekp matters

Dec 14, 2012 01:27AM Jennie93 wrote:

Amandamarie, my surgery was 9/6 and I still have plenty of pain in the armpit too!  And none of the doctors ever warned me about how bad this is.  It certainly is aggravating!  I do gentle stretching exercises every day, but I'm not seeing any improvement.  I am scheduled to start rads sometime in Feb. and I'm scared that it will make it worse, (and there is no way I could raise my arm over my head yet), plus I know it puts me at very high risk for lymphedema and that terrifies me as well.  Basically this whole thing just sucks!

49 at dx. Found on routine mammogram. Complications: cording, truncal LE. Dx 8/2012, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 4/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/5/2012 Lymph node removal; Mastectomy: Left Chemotherapy 10/16/2012 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 3/24/2013 Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 5/23/2013 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Hormonal Therapy 2/1/2015 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Page 1 of 1 (6 results)