Join Us

We are 217,648 members in 84 forums discussing 160,665 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Stinging Throbbing Pain!

Forum: Pain —

Share important questions and provide support to others experiencing breast cancer and treatment-related pain.

Posted on: Dec 11, 2012 08:03AM

cantgarden wrote:

Hi all,

I'm almost two years out from my lumpectomy.  I went through radiation in June of 2011.  I took Tamox for a year but became a raging beatch (!), so I took a break from that and my onc put me on Evista.  I've been taking that for a little over a month now.  The last few days, I've had a throbbing, dull pain in my affected breast and in my underarm, which is now alternating with a burning sensation.  Wondering if this is a side effect of the Evista (although the SEs are supposed to be the same as Tamox and I've never experienced this before) or if this is something else.  I'm scheduled for a mammo at the end of Dec. and a follow up MRI sometime after that, so I figure I'll wait for those, but just curious if any of you have experienced anything similar.  Just weird after all this time!!

Thanks!

Julie

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)

Posts 1 - 3 (3 total)

Dec 11, 2012 11:55AM hugz4u wrote:

I think you should check out the lymphedema thread.The girls there are very knowledgable. Your SE seam to lean that way. You also can google stepup-speakout.org lymphedema. Especially if you have a full sensation at the back of your armpit breast or arm. Check for slight swelling on you whole quadrant on lumpectomy side. Or if you get tired,achey tingly arm on the side you had surgery.I hope it is not lymphedema but if it is , this is the thread and website to visit. The sooner you catch lymphedema the better the chance of controlling it.

Dec 11, 2012 02:54PM cantgarden wrote:

Thanks, yeah, the more I read about lympedema, the more it seems that might be the case.  Blah! It's gotten worse as the day has gone on, so I made an appt. with my doc for tomorrow.  Will update as soon as I know more.

Dec 11, 2012 05:21PM hugz4u wrote:

Be prepared for you doctor to brush you off. 99 percent don't have a clue as they spent next to nothing learning about this condition in med school. They may recognize it if your limb is blown up like a balloon but you never want to wait that long as then it is harder to treat and irreversiable.  Mine laughed at me and said, OH YOU WILL NEVER GET LYMPHEDEMA. Yah well now I am a stage 2. Good thing I came onto the lymphedema thread to get educated and proactive.

Post a question about your symptoms you are experiencing in the lymphedema thread. Us girls have the knowledge to help you decide if you have early symptoms.

If you even had one node out you are at risk. please do come to our thread. I sure hope that you don't have lymphedema and that it is only SE from meds. Just be wary and educate yourself.

If your symptoms feel good when you get out of bed and then worsen as the day progresses this could be early stage LE (lymphedema) of your breast and possibly trunk. Your doc probably won't know this. They are just thinking arms and leg swelling. If you are swollen anywhere on your BC side including your trunk or breast that is another srong indication.

Do take care and don't stop learning.

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)