Join Us

We are 217,588 members in 84 forums discussing 160,642 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Chemo is done but have new leg/joint pain

Forum: Pain —

Share important questions and provide support to others experiencing breast cancer and treatment-related pain.

Posted on: Jul 26, 2017 07:33PM

Reina_de_los_changos wrote:

Chemo finished in March, and I was starting to feel good again. Now I'm having random shoots of pain in my arms and legs, as well as joint ache in my shoulder and hip. The pain was so bad in my hip last night that I couldn't sleep, and Naproxen wouldn't help either. I'm thinking I might be overdoing the exercise (I've done some hiking). Anyone have a similar experience? I've already reached out to my oncologist, just wondering if anyone out there has had a similar experience. Thanks!

Dx 8/16/2016, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 1/16 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 9/9/2016 Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left Chemotherapy 10/13/2016 AC + T (Taxol)

Page 1 of 1 (8 results)

Posts 1 - 8 (8 total)

Jul 26, 2017 08:30PM Castigame wrote:

me too, 

I am 4 wks PFC. I noticed that my hands became arthritic as well as burning pain  which comes and goes. 

I have not bothered my onco since she is not that friendly.  

I have a very elaborate routine to minimize my symptoms

1. meloxicam?  prescription NSAID

2. wear Epsom salt scrub for hands and feet  for about 20 min as part of body scrub 

3. 2 TRIPLE strength fish oil capsules

4. 2 turmeric and 2 ginger supplements 

5. PT for arthritis started yesterday.

6. unlimited  Arnica gel application 

It looks Chemo flared my previously calm arthritis. It also looks neuropathy for me. I am waiting a few more wks before I see a neurologist. 

yes chemo absolutely sucks. 

mimi

Mimi Dx 1/11/2017, IDC: Papillary/IDC: Cribriform, Right, 3cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 4/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Dx 1/11/2017, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, 0/2 nodes Surgery 2/14/2017 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic ovary removal Chemotherapy 3/20/2017 Radiation Therapy 7/30/2017 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Surgery 10/29/2017

Jul 26, 2017 09:03PM Wendiwithani wrote:

I had SEVERE joint pain after chemo. A bone scan showed I have arthritis in most of my large joints. Also, I am taking Tamoxifen which can cause joint pain. I have found complete and total relief using 20:1 CBD oil with zero side effects. Added bonus is a great night's sleep every single night. :)

Wendi Dx 11/13/2015, IDC/IDC: Mucinous, Left, 4cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 12/3/2015 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left Targeted Therapy 1/12/2016 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 1/13/2016 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 2/13/2017 Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap

Aug 1, 2017 05:28AM Reina_de_los_changos wrote:

Thanks for the tips! I'll try them out as my leg pain is still happening

Dx 8/16/2016, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 1/16 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 9/9/2016 Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left Chemotherapy 10/13/2016 AC + T (Taxol)

Aug 4, 2017 06:57AM GiaMandy wrote:

Hi,

May I know more about CBD oil and the zero side effects, I am searching online for an alternative pain reliever and found this product called DOxyva? And they had positive reviews.

Mar 20, 2018 09:45AM aaltiere wrote:

I am 6 months out of chemo and have major issues with joint pain all over. I wondering if this is a remaining effect of the chemo? Anyone else have this issue?

Mar 20, 2018 01:00PM VL22 wrote:

alltiere- I am three months out from chemo and still have both muscle and joint pain. It was constant, but now comes and goes. Exercise does help me, but it is so annoying - I feel like I’ve aged 20 years. At first I was paranoid that it was bone Mets causing the pain, but it seems that feeling this way for months after chemo is not unusual. Sigh.

Good luck to you..

Dx 5/5/2017, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/14/2017 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Dx 6/23/2017, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 3, 1/2 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 8/10/2017 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 1/10/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 3/11/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Jul 22, 2018 06:19AM Mygraceissufficient wrote:

Hello, good evening everyone. I am somewhat perplexed for the overall effects chemotherapy, hormonal and targeted (herceptin) therapy has for each individual. It is like a puzzle (from the onset of pain to the degree of pain and its duration, not to mention the areas of the body it affects. I was hoping to have a greater understanding overall with the long-term prognosis / trajectory of the pain, but to no avail. I had contacted Genetec who manufactures Herceptin and unfortunately there is no data that followed the women or men who received the drug. I hopefully can get more information on this and if there are any plans to begin a study on the long-term effects of these drugs on the candidates and their quality of life. For now i am taking gabapentin for the neuropathy, tylenol if the pain is difficult to bear (just to take the edge off, and I was using tumeric powder, but a woman I met in Home Depot from India, told me to get the whole tumeric root and grater to steep for a tea. I think the root has been more beneficial. I was also taking Celebrex, but I don't want the long term effects of the NSAID, however I am using Voltaren topical (which is also a NSAID, but less liver metabolism- 35%) and i only use it if absolutely necessary. I hope this helps. I have been thinking about the CBD oil, but want to give this regimen a try first. I walk/jog 1-2 miles daily (interval exercise) and plan to start strength training exercises. My son bought me a bike and hope to start back riding. The gym he goes to has a bike club that meets every Thursday and go out for various mile options. I am going for it, but I am going to pedal along the canal before I head out with the group. Another thing that helps me, is to focus on some small projects around the house, It gives me a boost. God bless each and every one of you.

Jul 22, 2018 07:29PM Moderators wrote:

Hi Mygraceissufficient, and welcome to BC.org! We're sorry for what brings you here, but we're glad you've joined us, and hope you find great support and information here.

Thank you for sharing your tips and what's helping you deal with side effects. Related to Herceptin side effects, you may be interested in the following article from our main site: Large Review Study Confirms Herceptin's Benefits. And you can learn more about how this drug works in the Breastcancer.org Herceptin pages.

We hope this helps! Please come back to let us how you're doing!

The Mods

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Page 1 of 1 (8 results)