Join Us

We are 217,588 members in 84 forums discussing 160,642 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Myofacia Release

Forum: Pain —

Share important questions and provide support to others experiencing breast cancer and treatment-related pain.

Posted on: Jan 6, 2018 01:19AM

KyGalinIndiana wrote:

Y'all, I have no idea why I was lucky enough to stumble on this, but...WOW!! I was told to look for a PT who would do myofacia release to help with post mastectomy tightness when I had my TE then after my implants were put in. I saw two different ladies at two different facilities and they were night and day different. The one I ended up staying has treated me twice (6-8 sessions each time) and it has been life changing. It sure wouldn't hurt to look in to it if you have had any type of surgery, especially for BC.

Page 1 of 1 (12 results)

Posts 1 - 12 (12 total)

Jan 6, 2018 12:14PM mustlovepoodles wrote:

I second this. I had cording after my mastectomy and my skin had adhered to my ribcage. I couldn't extend my arm fully and I had constant pain in my right chest. My massage therapist did myocardial release. The pain in my ribs went away with the first treatment. It was like a miracle! I went to her twice a week for 8 weeks and got my full extension back.

Oncotype 23. Positive for PALB2 & Chek2 gene mutations. My breasts are trying to kill me! Dx 7/20/2015, DCIS/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery 8/20/2015 Lumpectomy Surgery 9/2/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Chemotherapy 10/19/2015 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 2/3/2016 Prophylactic mastectomy: Left, Right Surgery 10/18/2016 Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole) Surgery

Jan 6, 2018 10:00PM - edited Jan 10, 2018 01:40AM by sas-schatzi

WHoo ho and whop de dooooooooooooooo. Both of you have brought a topic that is seriously important for members. Though you may not get a whopping long term response discussion. I suggest that you bump this if it is quiet for awhile. Keep it on the first page of the forum.

Edit: I have a bad computer missing buttons.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting "holy crap....what a ride".

Jan 7, 2018 06:58PM nash wrote:

I agree whole hardheartedly that there is a difference in MFR among practitioners, and that if one doesn't experience success with one practitioner, to not be afraid to seek out someone else. Same with cupping and acupuncture. All of these techniques are really art forms.

One MFR technique that I like that seems to practitioner dependent is therapeutic endermologie. It was originally developed to help burn patients with scar tissue, but is now primarily used for cosmetic cellulite treatment. But I was able to find a chiropractor who did it as a therapeutic MRF technique, and it helped me after LD flap reconstruction on my back. I still have a lot of discomfort issue almost three years out, but the endermologie gave me my torso twisting ROM back. It's basically like a hand-held vacuum that sucks up one's fascia. It's also good for lymphatic drainage.

Stage IV Pleomorphic ILC, initially diagnosed at age 38 Dx 6/7/2007, ILC, Left, 2cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 7/19/2007 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 8/1/2007 CAF Radiation Therapy 12/27/2007 Whole-breast: Breast, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 3/1/2008 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Dx 4/24/2015, ILC, Left, 1cm, Stage IV, metastasized to other, Grade 2, 0/10 nodes, ER+/PR+ Surgery 5/15/2015 Mastectomy; Reconstruction (left): Latissimus dorsi flap Dx 2/1/2018, ILC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IV, metastasized to other, Grade 3, ER+/PR+ Chemotherapy 2/15/2018 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxol (paclitaxel), Taxotere (docetaxel) Dx 6/20/2018, ILC, Both breasts, 6cm+, Stage IV, metastasized to brain/bone, Grade 3, ER+/PR+ Targeted Therapy 7/1/2018 Ibrance (palbociclib) Dx 7/17/2020, ILC, Both breasts, 6cm+, Stage IV, metastasized to brain/bone, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Chemotherapy 7/17/2020 Xeloda (capecitabine) Radiation Therapy 7/23/2020 Hormonal Therapy Faslodex (fulvestrant), Zoladex (goserelin) Radiation Therapy External: Brain

Jan 13, 2018 01:19PM Doodles1 wrote:

wow.I am so glad to find this information. My ribs feel like they are on fire and bruised had to breathe even. Last surgery was march 2017. I hope I can find someone to do those procedures. Im desperate to get rid of this constant pain! Honestly if I had known how debilitating it was I would have just had mastectomy with no reconstruction. Had four bad infections had to have four extra surgeries the last infection neerly killed me. Systemic. So now to have this pain. I no longer have an implant on the right but still have pain. So its not just the implant.

TNBC both breasts, 3 positive nodes, diagnosed Sept 2015, double mastectomy march 2016 with recons. Multiple infections last surgery march 2017. ACT chemo radiation.

Jan 13, 2018 10:38PM mustlovepoodles wrote:

Doodles, I haven't had reconstruction but I certainly had all the post-op pain. It was awful. Not the mastectomy itself--that was a piece of cake. No, it was that searing, burning pain in the ribcage and running down my arm all day, all night. Myocardial release was the only thing that worked.

Oncotype 23. Positive for PALB2 & Chek2 gene mutations. My breasts are trying to kill me! Dx 7/20/2015, DCIS/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery 8/20/2015 Lumpectomy Surgery 9/2/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Chemotherapy 10/19/2015 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 2/3/2016 Prophylactic mastectomy: Left, Right Surgery 10/18/2016 Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole) Surgery

Jan 15, 2018 03:22PM feliciascintillation wrote:

Nash~Unhappy to hear that you have discomfort from LD flap reconstruction three years later, although it is of some comfort to know I am not alone...and you aren't either. I have an acupuncture session scheduled this week which may help. My ROM has always been good through my PT, but discomfort has not been helped much by massage or PT. MFR sounds intriguing. First, I have heard of it! Keep me in the loop if you find some relief. :)

If you don't like something change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it. ~ Mary Engelbreit

Jan 21, 2018 02:03PM nash wrote:

Hi, feliciascintillation--yeah, this LD flap stuff is pretty miserable. I've tried acupunture, cupping, all sort of massage, graston, everything under the sun, and all it does is either make things worse or just take the edge off for a few hours. At least the MFR helped me with movement issues I was having. I'm a competitive adult figure skater, and I use my lat for a lot of what I do on the ice, plus my fascia got all screwed up from the surgery and was basically plastered down so I couldn't move my torso. Totally the wrong surgery for me, but it's too late now.

I unfortunately have developed a new primary on the "good" side, so am in the throws of dealing with that now.

Stage IV Pleomorphic ILC, initially diagnosed at age 38 Dx 6/7/2007, ILC, Left, 2cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 7/19/2007 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 8/1/2007 CAF Radiation Therapy 12/27/2007 Whole-breast: Breast, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 3/1/2008 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Dx 4/24/2015, ILC, Left, 1cm, Stage IV, metastasized to other, Grade 2, 0/10 nodes, ER+/PR+ Surgery 5/15/2015 Mastectomy; Reconstruction (left): Latissimus dorsi flap Dx 2/1/2018, ILC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IV, metastasized to other, Grade 3, ER+/PR+ Chemotherapy 2/15/2018 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxol (paclitaxel), Taxotere (docetaxel) Dx 6/20/2018, ILC, Both breasts, 6cm+, Stage IV, metastasized to brain/bone, Grade 3, ER+/PR+ Targeted Therapy 7/1/2018 Ibrance (palbociclib) Dx 7/17/2020, ILC, Both breasts, 6cm+, Stage IV, metastasized to brain/bone, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Chemotherapy 7/17/2020 Xeloda (capecitabine) Radiation Therapy 7/23/2020 Hormonal Therapy Faslodex (fulvestrant), Zoladex (goserelin) Radiation Therapy External: Brain

Feb 1, 2018 02:02PM catlady44 wrote:

Doodle I don't want to freak you out, but I had the same rib pain symptoms and found out I had rib fractures.. I don't remember doing anything that could have broken them either. I also found out I had severe osteopenia and started Prolia. It might be worth looking into because fractures seem to be a common occurrence for survivors. The fractures I had didn't show on xrays, but they showed on CT's and bone scans. They weren't particularly dangerous, such as puncturing a lung, so please don't be scared! I just want to tell you my experience. I'm also not a medical professional, but you could talk to your doc about it.

Also, my PT used ASTYM to break up my scar tissue for a frozen shoulder.

Dx 11/2014, LCIS/IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 12/12/2014 TAC Surgery 6/5/2015 Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy External: Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery Surgery Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant

Feb 1, 2018 02:02PM catlady44 wrote:

Also, my PT used ASTYM to break up the scar tissue for a frozen shoulder. It's painless and they have a lot of success with it. It really improved my range of motion.

Dx 11/2014, LCIS/IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 12/12/2014 TAC Surgery 6/5/2015 Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy External: Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery Surgery Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant

Mar 31, 2018 08:16PM Lilypond wrote:

After my double mastectomy (no reconstruction) I awoke to necrosis all across my chest. After releasing me from the hospital the next day with a prescription for nitroglycerin creme, I then had to undergo surgery for them to do debridement of the remaining dead skin. That left open wounds across my chest, which required the application of wet bandages, covered by dry bandages and Ace bandages around all that to hold them in place. Needless to say, in spite of healing beyond my dr saying I would need skin grafts, I have had a lot of pain. Not just from the nerve damage, but also from the scars. I have had several sessions with a myofacial release therapist, who was very good, but it didn't do a whole lot for me. This is not to say that it may work for many. My brother has been a physical therapist for over 40 years and he has told me that this type of therapy is wonderful for many of his patients and many of them actually experience emotional release as well as physical relief.

Apr 8, 2018 05:17PM catlady44 wrote:

Lilypond, that sounds like a nighmare! As if cancer isn't bad enough by itself. Devil

Apr 9, 2018 01:20AM sas-schatzi wrote:

Lily, not to bring up old PAINFUL memories, but why did they explain that you had such necrosis?

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting "holy crap....what a ride".

Page 1 of 1 (12 results)