Join Us

We are 217,654 members in 84 forums discussing 160,670 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Numbness & pain... How long does it last?

Forum: Pain —

Share important questions and provide support to others experiencing breast cancer and treatment-related pain.

Posted on: Oct 25, 2018 08:28PM

TornadoDeva wrote:

Hello ladies,

I am 3 days post-op BMX with tissue expanders. I am not expecting a miracle but would just like to get a general idea of how long the numbness, swelling, and pain, specifically near the armpit, lasts after surgery. I had about 100ccs put in my expanders per my request. My husband is here with me this week but I'm very nervous about taking care of my 6 and 8 year old next week by myself.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Dx 9/14/2018, DCIS, Left, 5cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER+/PR+ Surgery 10/22/2018 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)

Posts 1 - 3 (3 total)

Oct 25, 2018 08:44PM Kjelftr wrote:

Hi,

Welcome, I’m glad you have help this week. I was pretty useless for about 2 weeks. I was able to back off pain med during day after 2 week and by the end of the month I was completely free of meds. I still have numbness under my armpit, down my tricep and a little on my back( BMX with tissue expanders on 08/30) I had 27 nodes removed. uGH!

Rally your tribe and get more help for the weeks ahead. Start a food train and lean on those who have offered to help. This is a marathon. You’ve got this! Be strong and remember if your husband does it differently, it’s okay... it just his way.

Oct 31, 2018 10:40AM PurpleCat wrote:

I'd like to know too. I had a lumpectomy 4 weeks ago, then SNB 2 weeks ago, and have been really surprised at the pain. The nerves are going bonkers for several inches in all directions from the SNB site, and there are too many unpleasant sensations to describe, even itching. I know it's normal to feel pain, I just didn't expect it to be so troublesome 2 weeks later, and would tolerate it better if had some clue when it might improve, or at least when it's reasonable to ask for physical therapy, gabapantin, etc. When I think that it might not feel better before I add radiation side effects to to the game, I just want to cry.

Dx 10/2018, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/4/2018 Lumpectomy Surgery 10/18/2018 Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole) Radiation Therapy Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Oct 31, 2018 11:35AM NotVeryBrave wrote:

I wish I had a pleasant answer for you. The numbness is, to some degree, permanent. I have regained some sensation around the edges, but the center and nipples and underarms are still numb.

The swelling took a pretty long time to go away. I had drains for only six days, but the swelling was all over. I would say it was much improved by 4-6 weeks.

The best news is that the pain gets better fairly quickly. I was off any narcotic medication by two weeks and able to drive then. I did take Tylenol at night to help get comfortable.

My kids were older than yours (youngest was 10) - but I understand that concern. My husband took off two weeks. I didn't need much help the second week.

This is just my experience and everyone is different. I felt that starting PT the second week helped as well. Keep focusing on the improvement day by day. I hope you'll soon be much better.

TCHP x 6 with pCR. One year of Herceptin. DTI pre-pec surgery. Quit Tamoxifen after 3 months. Dx 11/21/2016, DCIS/IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (IHC) Targeted Therapy 12/18/2016 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy 12/19/2016 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 12/19/2016 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 5/8/2017 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 9/8/2017 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Hormonal Therapy 6/25/2020 Evista (raloxifene)

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)