Join Us

We are 217,696 members in 84 forums discussing 160,686 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: How long will this go on?

Forum: Pain —

Share important questions and provide support to others experiencing breast cancer and treatment-related pain.

Posted on: Oct 28, 2018 08:04PM

Dogmom1 wrote:

I made it through 6 rounds of Taxol and Carboplatin, with Herceptin and Perjeta. I barely made it, seriously considered quitting because of side effects, but I got it done. I still have a lumpectomy and radiation to get through, and continue with the Herceptin and Perjeta for a full year, which means it should all be over by next May or so.

My frustration right now is that im about 3 1/2 weeks out from my last chemo treatment. This past Thursday I had the Herceptin and Perjeta only. I still feel awful. I have muscle pain in my legs so badly just from standing up and walking around, even from one room to the next. It feels like I just got off a stair master, the burn is pretty bad. I get burn in my arms as well. My heart rate jumps up from the pain. I can handle the neuropathy. I need to be able to function! My life, my business is falling apart because I can't do much of anything. I've dealt with it for 4 months, the thought of it lasting a year is inconceivable. Please give me some hope, some insight. Thank you!

Page 1 of 1 (7 results)

Posts 1 - 7 (7 total)

Oct 28, 2018 09:15PM sherrmue wrote:

Hi Dogmom1! I’m Sherri.

I have been treated for advanced BC for the past 8 years. I was ill and undiagnosed 2 years before that.

You will feel better. I swear. It takes time. Your body has just been through a wringer. I’ve learned over the years the power of our bodies to heal themselves and the strength of our life force. No special diets, simply basic good nutrition required.

It could be that you have some nerve irritation from chemo which will subside in time. I had been instructed to drink a gallon of water a day while on chemo. Can you believe it? I did. I had minimal nerve irritation which I attribute to all the water drinking. Your leg pain could be caused by any current med you are taking, but just as a possible help, you might trydrink lots of water each day for the next few weeks and see if it helps? It is unlikely to harm unless you have kidney disease or an electrolyte disorder. Ask your doc.

Did you take or are you taking a white blood cell stimulator. It’s usually given as an injection in the skin.These medicines can cause severe aches and pains. For me, it was my legs which hurt the most but also back, arms, pelvis. A woman I worked with was taking a medication for her type of cancer which she explained caused her legs to hurt so she could barely walk while on it. Ask your doc. Complain a lot to him/her. You deserve to be heard and treated for pain and to find the cause of your pain.

Treating the side effects of treatment is so important for functioning. Again, complain to your doc. If he/she won’t listen, get a second opinion or switch doctors in the practice. It’s your time and money, your life.

Delegate if you are able. While on treatment and during recovery being 50% on the ball is a miracle. You can’t be expected to be fully functional and yesterday is the time to enlist everyone in your life to give you a hand until you have recovered. If you are very independent like myself it is a real learning experience to let go and allow others to assist.

You will soon gradually begin to feel yourself and slowly forget what you have just been through. I’ve had so much treatment: surgeries, medications, imaging, blood draws, close calls, tests, biopsies over the years and I’m still here and feeling pretty darn good. So will you!

Fight,Fight,Fight!

Dx 7/24/2010, ILC, Both breasts, 6cm+, Stage IIIC, Grade 2, 15/30 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 10/2010, ILC, Both breasts, 6cm+, Stage IIIC, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 10/2014, ILC, 6cm+, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver/other, Grade 2, 15/30 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 29, 2018 01:10PM trinigirl50 wrote:

During treatment and for some time thereafter, I was so weak and helpless, to get myself through it I had a mantra: this time next year i will be able to stand up straight in the shower without wobbling. this time next year, the pain will be a memory, this time next year I will be able to think straight. That worked for me, I got through it in one piece (relatively speaking). A year is nothing. Good luck.

trinigirl50 Dx 3/7/2015, ILC, Left, 6cm+, Stage IIIC, Grade 2, 20/24 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery 3/7/2015 Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right Chemotherapy 4/13/2015 AC + T (Taxotere) Hormonal Therapy 9/14/2015 Arimidex (anastrozole), Femara (letrozole) Radiation Therapy 10/1/2015 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

Oct 29, 2018 07:58PM cse70 wrote:

Dogmom1.

I had a lot of weakness after treatment but I kept a mental tally of how long I could stand, how long it took to vacuum the house, etc. It will get better, have faith!

Dx 10/15/2005, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/15/2005 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 2/1/2006 AC Radiation Therapy 4/1/2006 Whole-breast: Breast Surgery 3/27/2017 Mastectomy: Right Dx 4/1/2017, IDC, Right, 4cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, ER+/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 4/25/2017 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Oct 29, 2018 08:10PM Denise-G wrote:

The only thing that helped me in that phase of my treatment was to drink water, water, water.

It helped me. Or maybe it was all the painful exercise I got running to the bathroom constantly.

Not sure - but it helped. I remember that pain when I could barely walk and cry sometimes trying to

do so.

Sending all my best - IT GETS BETTER!

www.denise4health.wordpress.com my BC Blog with over 200 informative posts about all aspects of BC - stop by! Myself, my mom, and sister were all diagnosed with BC within 3 years. What a ride! Dx 10/10/2011, IDC, Left, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 9/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Surgery 11/22/2011 Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left Chemotherapy 12/26/2011 AC + T (Taxol) Targeted Therapy 2/27/2012 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Hormonal Therapy 10/10/2012 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Oct 30, 2018 12:01AM DiagnosisDisruption wrote:

I agree with all of the above. You are only three weeks out. If you did TCHP, and it was every three weeks, you are in new territory. I remember having chemo every 21 days and, after chemo 6, I had Day 22. I had no idea what to do with it. All the other ones have stacked one on top of the other. Even with only Herceptin, it took me another month or so to get my legs to stop hurting. Almost six months out and most things are back to normal.

Take it easy, let your body rest (look at what it just got put through - regenerating and combatting all that stuff for four months). Write it all down. You will be surprised in a couple weeks or a month what side effects you are not writing anymore!

Dx 12/8/2017, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Targeted Therapy 1/23/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Targeted Therapy 1/23/2018 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Chemotherapy 1/23/2018 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 5/22/2018 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 6/12/2018 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 7/18/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 10/10/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Oct 30, 2018 11:15AM NotVeryBrave wrote:

It is amazing to me the number of side effects that I experienced (some common and some never heard of) during and after chemo. Just when you think you're done - something else shows up!

The good news is that, eventually, pretty much everything resolves. It's slow going sometimes - a very gradual process. You will feel better. One day in the near future, this whole mess will begin to become a distant memory.

I tend to equate chemo with childbirth: you remember that it was fairly horrible, but you can't really remember exactly how.

TCHP x 6 with pCR. One year of Herceptin. DTI pre-pec surgery. Quit Tamoxifen after 3 months. Dx 11/21/2016, DCIS/IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (IHC) Targeted Therapy 12/18/2016 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy 12/19/2016 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 12/19/2016 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 5/8/2017 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 9/8/2017 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Hormonal Therapy 6/25/2020 Evista (raloxifene)

Oct 30, 2018 12:44PM hapa wrote:

I had the muscle pain too. It showed up after round 5 and disappeared for a few days after round 6 (I think it was the steroids), but then showed up again and proceeded to get worse. I think the peak was around weeks 3-4. By week 5 it seemed like things had turned around. It lingered as minor discomfort for a few more weeks after that but eventually resolved. I also had a lot of swelling that made the pain worse, mainly in my legs, which was exacerbated by my job in a factory, standing on my feet much of the day. I got some compression hose and those got me through the worst times. I found the muscle pain and swelling were linked, and as one went down so did the other. Drinking lots of water, getting whatever exercise I could, putting my feet up at night, and avoiding salt helped flush out things out a little faster. Good luck!

Dx 3/20/2018, IDC, Right, 3cm, Stage IIIA, 3/18 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Targeted Therapy 3/27/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Targeted Therapy 3/27/2018 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Chemotherapy 3/27/2018 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 8/22/2018 Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Radiation Therapy 10/22/2018 Whole-breast: Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 12/20/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole), Zoladex (goserelin) Targeted Therapy Nerlynx

Page 1 of 1 (7 results)