Join Us

We are 217,694 members in 84 forums discussing 160,686 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: New rib/spine/hip pain AFTER chemo and surgery

Forum: Pain —

Share important questions and provide support to others experiencing breast cancer and treatment-related pain.

Posted on: Nov 12, 2018 03:06AM

urmysunshine17 wrote:

I finished chemo mid September and had a lumpectomy + sentinel node biopsy mid October. Pathologic complete response with no node involvement. (Yay!).

Two weeks ago I noticed some rib pain. Tender to touch. Feels muscular, and sore only when I stretch. Now this week I’m having new spine and hip pain. Usually with inactivity, mostly worse after being in bed for a while. Stiffness, too. Naturally I’m terrified and fear metastasis. I see my oncologist next Friday and already have a bone scan scheduled for mid next week. But until those appointments, I was wondering if anyone has experienced similar? New pain soon after supposed successful treatment

Dx 5/14/2018, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, ER-/PR+, HER2+ (IHC) Targeted Therapy 6/1/2018 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy 6/1/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 6/1/2018 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Page 1 of 1 (6 results)

Posts 1 - 6 (6 total)

Nov 12, 2018 04:18AM CaliKelly wrote:

Sunshine, I had strange pains all the time after chemo, your whole body has bee affected by the poison. Definitely spine pain , in the bones of my legs, shoulders , off and on for quite awhile. My ribs are still tender from my mastectomy, in 2016! I only notice if I press on them or stetch. Sounds pretty normal to me💜

Dx 6/17/2015, IDC, Left, 6cm+, Stage IIIC, Grade 2, 8/20 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Chemotherapy 8/11/2015 TAC Surgery 1/20/2016 Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left Hormonal Therapy 1/30/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 6/29/2016 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant Chemotherapy 11/3/2016 Xeloda (capecitabine) Surgery 10/7/2017 Reconstruction (left): Latissimus dorsi flap Surgery 1/30/2019 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall

Nov 12, 2018 12:28PM DATNY wrote:

You may want to do a dexa scan to look for osteopenia or osteoporosis. It is very likely one of this is going on. At the end of TCHP and the year of HP had 70% bone density in my spine. I am 46 only, so I am pretty sure it is from the treatment.

Secondly, I saw you are ER-/PR+. I had the same diagnosis based on pathology at my local hospital. Went to Dana Farber in Boston for second opinion and they immediately questioned the results - if you check the literature you will find out Er-/Pr+ is controversial, some say is due to some sort of contamination during tissue preparation. They repetead the pathology on new tissue slices from the same original biopsy and found ER-/Pr-. Then, I sent a new set of tissue slices to an independent pathologist who also found Er-/Pr-. Thius Tamoxifen, which was in my original treatment plan, was dropped from my treatment.

Finally, also I have all kinds of pain. Rib and sternum, tailbone, some joints. I finished HP in August. My doc offered to scan and see what is going on. However, the pain is not severe, so I decided to wait for a while.

Nov 12, 2018 11:27PM DATNY wrote:

Another thing: if the er-/pr- is confirmed, once you stop tamoxifen the periods might came back naturally. I believe on this forum there is at least one user who was treated for er-/pr- her2+ and has conceived naturally after treatment.

Nov 17, 2018 07:28PM et-hubs2018 wrote:

My wife had bi-lat mast 10/12 with expanders in, with that electronic pump thing. She has had pain since, in the ribs and shoulders. Started chemo 11/12 and of course that took till Friday to kind of come around. But it is the rib, shoulder, and chest pain that is a big problem.

She has osteoperosis and is a little small in the mid section.

Other than Motrin (couple tabs) every six hours, nothing helps. message, small stretching, heating pad, ice. Any suggestions.

Nov 17, 2018 07:51PM Shellsatthebeach wrote:

Have you reported this to her doctor yet? They may need to do some additional test to see what is causing the problem. They can give you a course of action. I had to see a PT for some pain in my shoulder. Did she have lymph nodes removed?

Dx 3/2017, IDC, Left, 3cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, ER+, HER2- Surgery 8/28/2017 Lymph node removal; Mastectomy: Left Dx 9/15/2017, DCIS/IDC, Left, Stage IIIB, Grade 3, 6/10 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Targeted Therapy 9/24/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Radiation Therapy 10/17/2017 Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Chemotherapy AC + T (Taxotere) Targeted Therapy Perjeta (pertuzumab)

Nov 17, 2018 07:55PM Moderators wrote:

et-hubs2018, we are sorry your wife is feeling so much pain and discomfort. Indeed, would be certainly important to let her doctor know about it, and see what they would like to do in terms of management and diagnostics.

Please keep us posted Medicating

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Page 1 of 1 (6 results)