Join Us

We are 217,654 members in 84 forums discussing 160,668 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Jaw pain :(

Forum: Pain —

Share important questions and provide support to others experiencing breast cancer and treatment-related pain.

Posted on: Dec 16, 2018 04:40PM - edited Dec 16, 2018 05:09PM by Megan_C

Megan_C wrote:

Hello!

I'm new to this board, and I've had 6 of 8 rounds of chemo therapy. (my second round of Taxol) for Breast Cancer. I'm experiencing jaw pain. I know this is a side effect of Taxol. I had my treatment this past Tuesday (December11th) I was just wondering if I could get anyones opinion on how long this jaw pain lasts? :( I'm a pretty tough person when it comes to pain, but THIS is NOT fun. I've ben taking some prescription strength Tylenol. I started taking that today.

Thanks for any advice,

Megan

Page 1 of 1 (6 results)

Posts 1 - 6 (6 total)

Jan 9, 2019 06:16AM leftduetostupidmods wrote:

As much as it is now known that one of Taxol's side effects is jaw pain, and there's a lot of discussion about it not being mentioned in the possible side effects officially, you should still check with your doctor. Is your maxilla or your mandible that is hurting? It may also be deferred pain from the ear or a salivary gland.

left this forum this time for good due to how stupid moderators are

Jan 9, 2019 08:13AM Megan_C wrote:

Thank you for your reply. My pain was in my lower left jaw. I did see my oncologist a couple of days later and I wa prescribed an antibiotic. That cleared it up and I never had the jaw issue again. I finished my final taxol treatment yesterday!

Jan 9, 2019 11:47AM CBK wrote:

Megan

Congrats on your finishing off taxol!!! I had jaw pain too. I ignored it, which probably wasn’t prudent, but I had dental issues as well.

I’m curious what was diagnosis? What was antibiotic for?

I’m telling that Taxol made me nuts, way more than A/C. I still have neuropathy from the damn stuff. But I guess I’m lucky it could be much worse!

Wishing you the best moving forward!!

Dx 3/26/2017, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/11/2017 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 7/22/2017 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 1/25/2018 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 2/18/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 4/9/2018 Reconstruction (right): Latissimus dorsi flap, Silicone implant Surgery 9/28/2018 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Surgery 4/3/2019 Reconstruction (left): Nipple reconstruction, Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Nipple reconstruction, Silicone implant

Jan 9, 2019 02:56PM - edited Jan 9, 2019 02:57PM by Megan_C

the diagnosis was just nerve pain. My chemo nurse told me the first day I started my Taxol treatment to soak my hands and feet in Ice during the treatment. It was kind of funny to see because I was given two bins of ice, one for my feet and one for my hands. I would wear the medical type gloves on my hands and my own socks on my feet, but then to keep my socks dry, I had barf bags on my feet. I was told to soak them the whole treatment which was 3 hours, but I could pull them out occasionally. I think it helped.... I have a small short occasional feeling of my hands going to sleep, but it doesn't last long. My next step is a double mastectomy in early February, right after I get back from a vacation! :) then radiation, then the final step will be reconstruction. I'm 31 years old, so needless to say, this whole journey has been pretty crazy, but i've Had an extremely positive attitude and great doctors and nurses along the way that have given me a great treatment plan. :)

Jan 10, 2019 04:13AM CBK wrote:

Megan

Residual sleepy hands will likely go away on time!! Wishing you that.

That’s great you are taking a break before your surgery and keeping your spirits high. It certainly helps to be confident in your team and treatment plan. You sound like you are in a good place

Peaceful healing to you!!

Dx 3/26/2017, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/11/2017 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 7/22/2017 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 1/25/2018 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 2/18/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 4/9/2018 Reconstruction (right): Latissimus dorsi flap, Silicone implant Surgery 9/28/2018 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Surgery 4/3/2019 Reconstruction (left): Nipple reconstruction, Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Nipple reconstruction, Silicone implant

Jan 10, 2019 11:18AM BlissfulLight wrote:

This Post has been removed by the Community.

Page 1 of 1 (6 results)