We are 215,400 members in 81 forums discussing 153,222 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Inflammation with pain after lumpectomy

Forum: Pain —

Share important questions and provide support to others experiencing breast cancer and treatment-related pain.

Posted on: Jan 10, 2019 10:46PM - edited Jan 10, 2019 10:47PM by Mary_Liz_Ann3

Mary_Liz_Ann3 wrote:

I'm almost 4 weeks past my lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy. I'm having a lot of inflammation with pain which began 12 days after surgery. It looked so inflamed that I was misdiagnosed and given increasingly stronger IV antibiotics for 8 days. My surgeon was then back from holidays and immediately said it was inflammation and my incision has healed well and always looked fine but inflammation is s large area further away on my breast. I was taking Tylenol for pain but due to more severe inflammation I've tried taking Advil which I can't tolerate and now Motrin, makes me feel drowsy. Any suggestions

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)

Posts 1 - 5 (5 total)

Jan 11, 2019 12:22PM gb2115 wrote:

Are you supposed to follow up with the surgeon if it doesn't get better?

Does it itch??

Dx IDC in October 2016, stage 2A, 1.2 cm ER/PR+ Her2-, Grade 2, 1/3 nodes. Mammaprint low risk luminal A, Lumpectomy + radiation + tamoxifen. Age 38 at diagnosis.

Jan 11, 2019 02:05PM Iamloved wrote:

Sorry sorry to hear you're having such trouble! I also developed an inflamed breast after surgery. Mine took about 10 days to develop. I was so scared that it was inflammatory breast cancer. I was on antibiotics for 4 weeks. I went to my massage therapist who performed myofascial release on the breast and after 3 treatments that cleared up the inflammation. Mine was not at the site of the incision but off to the side. Surgeon kept reassuring me that it was not anything to worry about. Not sure if this helps but no you're not alone in the struggle. 🙏🙏🙏

Dx 8/8/2018, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (IHC) Surgery 8/30/2018 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel

Jan 11, 2019 03:56PM - edited Jan 11, 2019 04:00PM by Mary_Liz_Ann3

my inflammation is also off to the side and middle not at the incision site. Saw my GP twice this week and yesterday he was pleased that it was quite a bit less in colour and pain . Only thing I did which may have helped was cabbage leaves which someone posted here years ago that I saw. I'm still having continual milder pain though and Advil and a bit less Motrin make me nauseous. I'd like to investigate the myofascial massage that you mentioned.

My surgeon also said on Jan. 3rd that I had inflammation all along never an infection and that my breast looked normal for my surgery having been mid December, my incision has healed well.

I just didn’t expect a long healing process as I didn’t research that I was so focused on the surgery and anaesthetic meetings etc as I had a reallly bad anaesthetic experience with a prior unrelated surgery 4 years ago.

Jan 11, 2019 04:03PM Mary_Liz_Ann3 wrote:

No follow up with my surgeon but have seen my GP twice this week and he was pleased I looked a bit improved yesterday. Still a pretty constant low level of pain and swellingI can’t take Advil, Motrin isn’t much better makes me slightly woozy.

Jan 11, 2019 04:05PM Mary_Liz_Ann3 wrote:

Last night I noticed a swollen lymph gland below my ear and right next to jaw, more swollen today and feels hard, slight pain if I press on it. It’s the same side as my lumpectomy which makes me a bit concerned.

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)