We are 220,518 members in 81 forums discussing 155,810 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Pain over ribs

Forum: Pain —

Share important questions and provide support to others experiencing breast cancer and treatment-related pain.

Posted on: Jun 4, 2019 09:28PM

hodgepodge wrote:

Is it possible to get cording over the ribs under the mammary fold of foobs? I had bilateral 4/23 and have had good range of motion. Then when reaching for something I got a sharp burning/pulling pain. I can see a raised line when I move certain ways and it really hurts! Any ideas?

Dx 12/7/2005, DCIS, Right, 1cm, Stage 0, ER+/PR+ Dx 4/1/2019, IDC, Right, <1cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast Surgery Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left Surgery Lumpectomy: Right

Page 1 of 1 (7 results)

Posts 1 - 7 (7 total)

Jun 5, 2019 08:10AM Snow18 wrote:

Do you have expanders in? I still get pain with expanders and at times feels like a rib is dislocated, PS told me he stitches the expanders to muscle and can cause this pain, usually goes away with rest and Iburpofen. Watch for reaching, they want you moving to keep range of motion but it hurts.

Jun 6, 2019 09:30PM hodgepodge wrote:

I do have expanders. I'm trying to lay low for a couple of days and see if it helps. had fill #3 today and am pretty sore. Thanks for your reply! I

Dx 12/7/2005, DCIS, Right, 1cm, Stage 0, ER+/PR+ Dx 4/1/2019, IDC, Right, <1cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast Surgery Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left Surgery Lumpectomy: Right

Jun 7, 2019 07:50PM DonnaW wrote:

I am a 10 year breast cancer survivor, and since undergoing a right breast radical mastectomy, I've been in severe pain daily. I am under the care of a pain management doctor, but I'm still hoping to one day be without post mastectomy pain. I was told by a friend about a nerve block procedure that could possibly stop the pain. I have been taking pain medication for so long. I really want to be able to stop taking pain medication and feel better.

Do you know anything about the nerve block that I mentioned, and where it is available? They don't seem to know anything about it here.

Thank you.

Dee

Jun 7, 2019 08:44PM - edited Jun 7, 2019 08:45PM by Spoonie77

Hodgepodge - yes it's possible to get cording along the ribs. I do not have FOOBs, but I do have cording in multiple places from RADs. One spot is all along my L ribs and even in the back. My PT says that cording can happen anywhere there was nearby trauma or trauma that affected tissue in that area indirectly. IMO, granted no dr, you had trauma and are still undergoing minor trauma w/fills.

Do you have a PT you see? I would definitely bring your pain up to someone on your team.

Some info on Cording: https://rethinkbreastcancer.com/five-things-to-know-about-cording/

"WHAT ARE THE TYPICAL SYMPTOMS?

Cording can take on a few different forms. It can be several cord-like bands or just a single one or two. They can feel like a tight band or 'ropeyness' in the armpit, upper arm, elbow, or even the wrist/thumb. Cording can also be felt on the trunk as well, typically lower than the mastectomy scar or breast, or under the chest pectoral muscle at the junction of the trunk and arm. They typically feel like a tight cord-like structure, quite thin and floss-like in nature, that does not feel it is stretched easily by classic chest and arm stretches. It can limit the range of motion of the arm, or, can just make it tighter in feeling without limiting range."

DonnaW - they reference nerve blocking here, perhaps this is what your friend was talking about?

https://www.asra.com/asra-news/article/180/postmastectomy-pain-syndrome-presentatio

Postmastectomy Pain Syndrome: Presentation and Management

"Treatment of PMPS includes rehabilitation interventions, medications, and interventional procedures. Stretching and active exercises are used to treat impaired range of motion of the shoulder and strengthen scapular stabilizers, and myofascial techniques are helpful for incisional pain and axillary cording.[4],[19] Pharmacologic interventions are aimed at reducing neuropathic pain (see Table 1 for commonly prescribed medications). Interventional techniques include intercostobrachial nerve blocks and the superficial and deep serratus blocks.[20],[21]Hydrodissection of the pectoralis muscles can alleviate pain after reconstruction."

Info about nerve blocks here: https://www.cancer.org/treatment/treatments-and-side-effects/physical-side-effects/pain/other-medical-treatments-for-cancer-pain.html

Life long "Spoonie" that entered the BC world with IDC DX @ 41. Txt Plan: Lump/SLNB/RADs/Hormonal. Couldn't tolerate 5mg Tamoxifen. Next step injections & Arimadex and/or surgerical options. Dx 7/20/2018, IDC, Left, 3cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Dx 8/30/2018, DCIS, Left, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2 Surgery 8/30/2018 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 10/1/2018 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 3/30/2019 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Jun 12, 2019 11:12AM hodgepodge wrote:

I am hoping to get a referral for a PT. It seems like it's getting harder to raise my arms instead of easier. Thanks for the info everyone!

Donna, I hope you find relief soon!

Jun 21, 2019 08:45PM OnTarget wrote:

I finally have some info on my own rib pain! My very experienced PT said it is clearly caused by cording!

The pain is just under my left boob (center) at the junction with the rib cage. The boob fold or shelf area.

She checked me from pinky to thigh, and my cording pain goes from my armpit to my rib, and down to my diaphragm. My thigh was fine.

She could press on my armpit and cause pain in my rib.

I was also really tight in the area below my ribs.

I highly recommend getting a PT who is really experienced in cording.

After a lot of manual stretching, she had me do a stretch lying on my back with my left arm straight out to the side (supported). Then deep breath and hold. Angling my outstretched hand towards the floor (back of hand) increases the stretch.

The horrible pain in my rib was mostly gone the rest of the day. We'll see how I do until the next appointment. Huge relief!!!!

Oncotype score 16 Dx 4/8/2019, ILC, Left, 3cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 1/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 4/23/2019, ILC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/15/2019 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy 6/14/2019 Zoladex (goserelin)

Jun 21, 2019 09:31PM Spoonie77 wrote:

Yay! That's awesome news, OnTarget. Well, not that you have cording BUT that that is the source of your pain and your PT is helping you work through it. Woot. Even though the problem and pain is still there, having a answer sometimes is so very encouraging! I'm so very thankful for my own PT she's amazing. So glad you have an "angel" as well! :)

HodgePodge - were you able to get a PT referral? Sure hope so.

Life long "Spoonie" that entered the BC world with IDC DX @ 41. Txt Plan: Lump/SLNB/RADs/Hormonal. Couldn't tolerate 5mg Tamoxifen. Next step injections & Arimadex and/or surgerical options. Dx 7/20/2018, IDC, Left, 3cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Dx 8/30/2018, DCIS, Left, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2 Surgery 8/30/2018 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 10/1/2018 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 3/30/2019 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Page 1 of 1 (7 results)