We are 225,821 members in 82 forums discussing 158,474 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Pain after expander to implant surgery

Forum: Pain —

Share important questions and provide support to others experiencing breast cancer and treatment-related pain.

Posted on: Sep 21, 2019 04:23PM - edited Sep 21, 2019 04:24PM by Jen2Mom

Jen2Mom wrote:

In July my left expander started leaking so my PS went ahead and did the implant surgery sooner on that side (non-cancer, non-radiated) but I had to wait a full 6 months (March-Sept) for implant on my right due to it being radiated. In July, I had very little pain, surgery was on a thurs and I was off pain meds and driving sat morning. Skip ahead to yesterday's surgery and I'm in a lot of pain. Almost mascectomy pain. He had to make an incision below the breast for the implant and then had to stitch the pocket closed under my arm. I'm so upset I'm in this much pain...is it normal to have more pain on your radiated side? I'm a teacher and was planning on going back Monday but I'm having a hard time getting off the sofa! Any advice?

Dx 9/28/2018, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IB, Grade 1, 1/12 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 11/16/2018 Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Radiation Therapy 1/21/2019 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 3/11/2019 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)