We are 225,822 members in 82 forums discussing 158,474 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Old Mastectomy Scar Itching

Forum: Pain —

Share important questions and provide support to others experiencing breast cancer and treatment-related pain.

Posted on: Oct 5, 2019 08:42PM

peverson wrote:

I'm wondering if anyone else has had to deal with intense itching of an old mastectomy scar. I had my first mastectomy (right) in March 2010 (the prophylactic second one in December of the same year). The past couple of days, the end of the scar under my right armpit has really started itching like CRAZY. Can anyone recommend something that I can do to take the edge off of the itch?

Thanks,

Patsy

Dx 3/2010, 1cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 5/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/19/2010 Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Right Chemotherapy 3/30/2010 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 9/7/2010 Breast, Lymph nodes Surgery 12/15/2010 Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic ovary removal

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)

Posts 1 - 4 (4 total)

Oct 6, 2019 01:20PM CGLion wrote:

I haven't had a mastectomy, but I did have part of two ribs removed due to nerve compression. At first the top quarter of my chest from just above my collarbone (where my incision was) to just above my right breast was completely numb. As my nerves began to grow back my incision began to hurt kind of how you are describing yours. It was super sensitive to my bra straps and any shirts, when it wasn't hurting it itched. When I went to PT the therapist encouraged me to firmly massage the scar area and also to use a soft nail brush to gently brush over the area that was itching and was extra sensitive. They told me this would help to desensitize the over active nerve as it regrew. It took a while but it really did help with the itching and hypersensitivity. With your surgery being so long ago I'm not sure if it will help you but just wanted to share something that helped me with incision pain/itching.

Also have you had your DR look at it? It might not be a bad idea to have it checked out since this just started after so long with no issues.

Oct 6, 2019 02:09PM Spookiesmom wrote:

My bmx was 7 years ago. No problem until this past January when the non cancer side began to itch, and hurt a little. It itched a LOT. Mentioned it to MO, he felt around, ordered PET/ct.

It was back. 7 nodes of 11 were positive. Suggest you get into MO to see if anything is going on.

Reoccurrence 3-19. Dx IDC, Stage IIIA, Grade 3

Oct 6, 2019 02:40PM peverson wrote:

I see a different doctor on Tuesday, and I'll talk to her about it. Thanks for the tip about the nail brush!

P.

Dx 3/2010, 1cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 5/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/19/2010 Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Right Chemotherapy 3/30/2010 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 9/7/2010 Breast, Lymph nodes Surgery 12/15/2010 Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic ovary removal

Oct 6, 2019 02:42PM peverson wrote:

I haven't had any pain, but I will talk to doc on Tuesday.I have no breasts, but I can still ask! Right now it's not itching, but it's worth checking into.

Thanks,

Patsy

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)