We are 225,712 members in 82 forums discussing 158,413 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Painful Torturous Mammogram

Forum: Pain —

Share important questions and provide support to others experiencing breast cancer and treatment-related pain.

Posted on: Oct 16, 2019 09:52AM

gb2115 wrote:

I had my yearly mammogram yesterday....three years out from treatment. It hurt SOO bad, way worse than the last 2 years. Like agonizing torture. Left me shaking and she had to give me a break before moving on for more films. Just the cancer side, the other side was uncomfortable but ok. Does anyone know if the lumpectomy scar tissue just tightens up more as the years go on? It was agonizing. I had red marks for hours where the equipment pressed on my skin, and my breast is still sore today. It's also sore when I press on my ribs underneath. I'm surprised it's not all bruised honestly.

I see the doctor for followup later this week and plan to tell her about this. I'm just so frustrated because in this day and age, there has GOT to be a better way. At least pad the machine or something. I feel like I had one once that was padded but I guess not all centers do that. With all the available technology (I mean, they can clone a sheep, right?), why can't there be adequate pain control for a cancer survivor who's getting scar tissue squeezed so painfully? I told the radiologist and she said to take an Advil next time. I get she was trying to help, but Advil isn't going to cut immediate pain at that level. Otherwise, why just pop an Advil before they cut into you with a scalpel, who needs anesthesia? I know that's exaggerating, but still...it was extremely painful.

I just had to vent. I will get over this but I needed to complain about the injustice to us all....

Dx IDC in October 2016, stage 2A, 1.2 cm ER/PR+ Her2-, Grade 2, 1/3 nodes. Mammaprint low risk luminal A, Lumpectomy + radiation + tamoxifen. Age 38 at diagnosis.

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)

Posts 1 - 3 (3 total)

Oct 16, 2019 09:06PM MinusTwo wrote:

gb - yes to the scar tissue. Also radiation caused skin/muscles to retract more or less permanently. I was told I much stretch EVERY day or it will pull back like a rubber band.

IT is possible to get an ultrasound w/o a mammogram. Docs don't usually recommend it and facilities are really nasty about doing it "out of order" - but maybe it's an option.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Oct 18, 2019 06:20AM gb2115 wrote:

Ooh I don't know. The mammogram was clear but the radiologist recommended yearly MRIs, said it's the new guidelines. I don't know if I really want to do that. It's such a hassle trying to schedule with somewhat irregular periods, and they are pretty uncomfortable. Will see today what the doctor thinks about that.

Dx IDC in October 2016, stage 2A, 1.2 cm ER/PR+ Her2-, Grade 2, 1/3 nodes. Mammaprint low risk luminal A, Lumpectomy + radiation + tamoxifen. Age 38 at diagnosis.

Oct 18, 2019 03:02PM MinusTwo wrote:

gb - I've since read that what your radiologist said is the cutting edge - MRIs instead of Mammos. You have the benefit of no radiation, but it's certainly more expensive.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)