Join Us

We are 216,681 members in 84 forums discussing 160,146 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: HOW Am I Supposed to Endure a Mammogram with this Pain?

Forum: Pain —

Share important questions and provide support to others experiencing breast cancer and treatment-related pain.

Posted on: Dec 4, 2019 10:14AM

kec1972 wrote:

I had my lumpectomy on 1/2019, followed by 3 weeks of rads. My breast(and especially the scar tissue) has been so painful since the surgery and rads. Im due for my one year mammo next month and honestly don't know how I'm going to get through it! Has anyone had ultrasound instead of mammo for a painful breast?

Dx 12/17/2018, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 1/7/2019 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 2/20/2019 Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Page 1 of 1 (8 results)

Posts 1 - 8 (8 total)

Dec 4, 2019 10:30AM edj3 wrote:

I've been upfront with my MO, RO and BS that I don't see a mammogram happening on my left (cancer) breast, for exactly the same reasons. I've got a lot of issues with my poor fried pec and there's no way I can tolerate a mammogram on that side.

My BS scheduled an ultrasound for the left and a mammo for the right (won't be until April). So yes, that's my game plan.

Tried the tamoxifen, no thanks. Dx 4/9/2019, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 5/5/2019 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Dx 5/6/2019, LCIS, Left, <1cm, 0/1 nodes Radiation Therapy 6/2/2019 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 9/22/2019 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Dec 4, 2019 10:36AM Veeder14 wrote:

Hi kec1972,

Once I had the lumpectomy and radiation, the Oncologist rescheduled my mammogram for 6 months later so the area had time to heal. I ended up having it 9 months later due to fractured shoulders however they did both a mammogram and an ultrasound, indicating that this would be my new comparison films since surgery/radiation changed the tissue forever. My imaging schedule changed permanently. I would talk with your doctor. I could have never done a mammogram a month or so out of surgery.

Dx 1/2/2018, ILC, Left, <1cm, Stage IB, Grade 1, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/26/2018 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 3/8/2018 Hormonal Therapy 2/28/2019 Hormonal Therapy

Dec 4, 2019 01:08PM DorothyB wrote:

The first time my seroma was drained, I felt no pain at all due to the nerves not being healed yet. Future draning started being more painful. I took 1/2 of a tramadol before the draining yesterday and felt no pain. I think took another 1/2 tramadol that afternoon 1 1/2 hours before my mammogram. It was not overly painful.

So, if you have any leftover tramadol and someone who can drive you to / from the mammogram, you might take a tramadol 1 to 1 1/2 hours before.

Diag. 4/19/2019 ER+ PR+ HER2 neg Lumpectomy 5/29/2019 IDC w/ DICS 2.0 cm Grade 3

Dec 4, 2019 01:11PM gb2115 wrote:

Oh I feel for you so much. I just had my third post surgical mammogram back in October, and it was excruciatingly painful. The radiologist blew it off when I complained and told me to take and Advil next time. Yeah, let's squeeze that radiated scar tissue, and then squeeze it some more so it feels like the scar tissue is going to rip apart inside. That's what it felt like. And I'm sorry but Advil won't take that that pain away in the moment. I wish I had the guts to refuse it. In this day and age, there NEEDS to be adequate pain control for people like us. I mean, we already had cancer, why make us suffer so much? Why can't they just put a little lidocaine on board, or something?

I don't know. Sorry for the rant. I hope it goes ok for you. :-(

Dx IDC in October 2016, stage 2A, 1.2 cm ER/PR+ Her2-, Grade 2, 1/3 nodes. Mammaprint low risk luminal A, Lumpectomy + radiation + tamoxifen. Age 38 at diagnosis.

Dec 4, 2019 01:32PM kec1972 wrote:

I’m going to refuse the mammogram on that side. It’s simply too painful. Hopefully they’ll agree to do an ultrasound

Dx 12/17/2018, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 1/7/2019 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 2/20/2019 Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Dec 5, 2019 09:44AM Elephant wrote:

I recently had my first post surgery mammogram and ultrasound; after the ultrasound they wanted another mammogram of the breast that had surgery. The radiologist who did the mammogram was very nice and apologetic as I almost past out from the pain. But I figured that it would be less painful having a mammogram than not and finding out sometime later that I had cancer again.

Dx 11/5/2018, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/16/2018 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 2/19/2019 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 4/14/2019 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Dec 30, 2019 11:12AM CaptBreast wrote:

I had my first Mammogram 9 months after treatments were finished. It was very painful where I had the lumpectomy. The person who did it. Was great. After it was finished I had to wait for the radiologist to read it. She told me they wanted me to come back ever 6 months. There was a probable benign calcification in. The area. Which was where the incisions was. Have any you have to go back ever 6 month? I. Was told every 6 months for the left breast and yearly for the right. I thought I was going to have to do this before and all m doctors said oh no yearly. Just confused.

Dec 30, 2019 01:35PM Cowgirl13 wrote:

What really helped me was finding out to have the technician adjust everything Manually instead of using the foot pedal. Big, big difference. I would never again allow them to adjust with the foot pedal. Hope this may help someone.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the Devil says: 'Oh crap! She's up! Dx 5/28/2009, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 6/18/2009 Chemotherapy 8/3/2009 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 12/21/2009 Hormonal Therapy 2/23/2010 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Page 1 of 1 (8 results)