Join Us

We are 219,622 members in 84 forums discussing 161,608 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Trouble sleeping on my back - Tips?

Forum: Pain —

Share important questions and provide support to others experiencing breast cancer and treatment-related pain.

Posted on: Nov 26, 2020 10:20AM

BritinPas wrote:

Looking for wisdom on how to find comfort sleeping on my back. I’m a side sleeper, but have been sleeping on my back since my first surgery on 10/20 and likely have to until my exchange surgery recovery next Feb. My back can’t take it anymore and I wake in discomfort/achey every night for a couple of hours. I stretch, use a wedge and lots of other pillows to prop me up. I sometimes try to sleep in my recliner. Any tips on how to find comfort and sleep through the night? Thanks to you all and wishing you a restorative Thanksgiving.

BRCA1+ / Nipple delay 10/20/20 / PBM OTM expanders 10/28/20

Page 1 of 1 (8 results)

Posts 1 - 8 (8 total)

Nov 26, 2020 10:31AM MelissaDallas wrote:

Wedge pillow! I am a side sleeper. My parents bought me one (Bed, Bath and Beyond I think) when I had ovarian cancer surgery and my incision was from pubis to sternum. Not only do they make it more comfortable to back sleep (propped up), but they make it much easier to get yourself up and down out of bedand make it much harder to roll over when you are not supposed to side-sleep.

LCIS, extensive sclerosing adenosis, TAH/BSO & partial omentectomy for mucinous borderline ovarian tumor.

Nov 26, 2020 10:32AM MelissaDallas wrote:

Wedge pillows

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/s/pillow-wedges

LCIS, extensive sclerosing adenosis, TAH/BSO & partial omentectomy for mucinous borderline ovarian tumor.

Nov 26, 2020 11:47AM Spookiesmom wrote:

Full length body pillow.

Reoccurrence 3-19. Dx IDC, Stage IIIA, Grade 3

Nov 26, 2020 11:51AM Sunshine99 wrote:

That sounds like a good idea, MelissaDallas. I know that whenever I have a scan or radiation and I'm on my back, they always give me a wedge pillow or a square block to rest to lower legs on. Now that I think of it, it was the same when I was getting PT for my neck (non-cancer related). I'm often uncomfortable in bed, and I'm thinking that I might try a wedge pillow/cushion and see if that helps.

Cancer has progressed to my bones. I pray that it never enters my soul. Dx 11/2/2007, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIA, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 3/26/2020, ILC/IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, ER+/PR-, HER2- (FISH) Hormonal Therapy 4/22/2020 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 5/5/2020 External: Bone Radiation Therapy 5/12/2020 External: Bone Targeted Therapy 6/10/2020 Ibrance (palbociclib)

Nov 26, 2020 01:01PM WC3 wrote:

Due to the ports causing pressure in my neck and the surgeries, I had to sleep on my back through most of my treatment. But I managed to kind of orient myself to the side when I really had to. It was a matter of figuring out how far I could go and maintaining that position.

Pathologic complete response (pCR) to chemotherapy. Dx 2018, IDC, Left, 3cm, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Chemotherapy 5/31/2018 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 11/14/2018 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole), Zoladex (goserelin) Targeted Therapy Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab) Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant

Nov 26, 2020 02:32PM SerenitySTAT wrote:

I actually use a foam roller under my knees. Pillows kept getting too flat.

"Do not overlook the little joys!" (Hesse, 1905) 🐶☕️🛀🖼🥐🌲🎭 Dx 11/2015 IDC Left IIIC 10/11 nodes ER+PR+HER2-, 12/2015 Left Mast, 2/2016 4 AC+12 Taxol, 9/2016 Rads Nodes Chest wall 15+4 boosts, 10/2016 Tamox, 4/2019 Exemestane, 12/2019 Ibrance/Xgeva

Nov 26, 2020 08:14PM Lille wrote:

For myself I found that a wedge pillow isn't all that comfortable, mine at least is too firm. I placed a pillow at the top and at the bottom to help cradle my back. If you try this, play around with pillow placement. Most of the time, however, I sleep in a zero gravity chair which I'm sure is probably more unusual but I didn't have space for a recliner. I would recommend that you get a small rectangular pillow to place behind your lower back for lumbar support. It will help shift the pressure off of your lower back and you'll find you will be far more comfortable. Although my PS said I could sleep on my side after the first month from my first surgery it's simply been too painful with TE's so I've been sleeping on my back since mid-July. I hope you find something that helps, I feel your pain. Literally. :)

Dx 6/5/2020, DCIS, Right, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER-/PR- Surgery 7/13/2020 Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 12/2/2020 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant

Dec 6, 2020 12:04AM BritinPas wrote:

In case it helps anyone else, I found a good solution for back sleeping. Its more expensive than I would have preferred ($200 on sale), but I needed to go back to work and needed to get back to sleeping well at night. And after a full week, I can tell you that this really works! From the first night on, it eliminated my back aches and I was sleeping through the night again instead of waking up in pain. It's adjustable to help with any angle - laying or sitting up.

Store - Relax The Back

Product - Purefit Adjustable Wedge

BRCA1+ / Nipple delay 10/20/20 / PBM OTM expanders 10/28/20

Page 1 of 1 (8 results)