Join Us

We are 221,193 members in 83 forums discussing 161,890 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: What could it be.....contracture or rupture???

Forum: Pain —

Share important questions and provide support to others experiencing breast cancer and treatment-related pain.

Posted on: Apr 3, 2021 10:10AM

1openheart wrote:

Hello everyone. It has been a long time since I have posted, but I am hoping to gain some insight into what is going on with my reconstructed breast. I had my mastectomy and direct to implant reconstruction in June of 2011. So I am coming up on 10 years with my implant. It is a smooth, round, hight profile Mentor silicon implant. Over the past year, I have notice an off and on dull, achey pain that starts at my armpit and goes around the top of the breast and around. I mentioned it to the tech when I had my annual mammogram in November and they did not see anything of concern. I also mentioned it to my oncologist when I saw her for my annual visit. Again, nothing that was concerning to her. I did not go see my surgeon because of Covid concerns and the discomfort was intermittent. Well, it is no longer intermittent. For the past 3 weeks or so the pain has become much worse. The dull ache is now accompanied by a burning sensation in the entire breast and down my arm and up into my neck. There has been a ripple on the inner upper quadrant for a long time. And the breast doesn't feel particularly firmer to me. It may be riding higher on my chest than before, but it is hard to know for sure. The natural breast has defiantly drooped some so it is hard to compare the two. I have an appointment with my surgeon next week and I am confident that the will order an MRI to check for rupture or CC. So my question for you wonderful, helpful ladies is, does my description of the symptoms sound like anything that you experienced and what was your diagnosis? Thank you in advance for reading my post and sharing your experiences.

"The wound is the place where the light enters you." ~ Rumi Dx 4/28/2011, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+ Surgery 6/15/2011 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Nipple reconstruction

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)

Posts 1 - 5 (5 total)

Apr 3, 2021 03:56PM Moderators wrote:

Welcome back, 1openheart, though we're sorry to hear of the concerns that bring you here. It's usually a little quiet around here on the weekends, but we hope someone will be by soon to weigh in with their thoughts and experience.

We're glad you're pushing your doctors to take your concerns seriously -- we always suggest any changes in your breast be evaluated until you're confident that there's nothing more going on. Please keep us posted with what you find out!

--The Mods

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Apr 3, 2021 04:17PM 1openheart wrote:

Thank you, Mods! I appreciate your kind words.

"The wound is the place where the light enters you." ~ Rumi Dx 4/28/2011, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+ Surgery 6/15/2011 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Nipple reconstruction

Apr 4, 2021 04:02AM Rah2464 wrote:

Openheart I do not have any personal experience with the level of pain you describe, just wanted to say you are doing all the right things getting it checked out. Hoping that the implant has just shifted a bit and pressing on a nerve causing the burning sensations. I am sure your surgeon will order that MRI. My first set of implants (I had nipple sparing direct to implant surgery) caused all kinds of havoc and pain on the cancer side. Scar tissue and cording and a neuroma on a single nerve that created a low level buzz of pain. Thinking back I also had lots of issues with my left arm with cording so could all be connected. I had an exchange surgery in November and my PS removed a ton of scar tissue as well as that neuroma and things are much better. Hoping that you too can have an easy surgical fix. Please keep us updated on how your appointment with the surgeon goes. Wishing you all the best

Dx 5/23/2018, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 6/27/2018 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 7/27/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Apr 4, 2021 11:45AM 1openheart wrote:

Thank you, Rah. I appreciate you taking the time to write. Some of the arm pain feels like cording pain, but I don't feel anything there. We'll see soon enough, I guess. Neuroma...argh...I have those in my foot. That could not have been comfortable in your breast!! Thank you for your kind thoughts.

Apr 7, 2021 11:50AM 1openheart wrote:

Quick update....I had a good visit with my surgeon today. He agrees that CC is unlikely. He thinks it is more likely to be a rupture or tear in the implant, or possibly the implant has shifted and is now impinging on a nerve or surrounding tissues. He has ordered a MRI. I am waiting for the scheduler to call me and hopefully I can get it scheduled soon and then hopefully have some answers. I would still love to hear from anyone who has experience with what a rupture of a silicon implant feels like. Thank you and be well.

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)